Easy Question - best way to cut aluminium?

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by aussie-revhead, Feb 4, 2018.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, I want to build some mining rigs (Bunnings 25x25 aluminium tube) but I dont want to stuff around with a square and hacksaw, then file every cut .... I want to cut nicely, square and repeat same lengths, so what is the best tool to use? Drop saw with an aluminium blade? The blades I saw had massive rough teeth ... way too rough for this tube I think.

Any help would be great.

:)

2. oculi

oculi Member

wood blades cut aluminium pretty well, give the finest one you have a go. if the cuts are too rough just buy a (cheap) high count wood blade

3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

What a shit suggestion, use wood blades on aluminium? Really? Cutting anything metal requires high count, fine small teethed blades and blades made for cutting aluminium or metal. @OP, a cheap way would be to use a metal/aluminium cutting blade attachment on a jigsaw, use spray WD-40 or cutting metal oil every now and then while cutting, otherwise the blade gets worn out too quickly and potentially damaged faster due to increased heat from metal to metal surface friction (some cases it can warp aluminium). 6000-8000rpm with a diamond metal blade on a table bench or table saw can also be done, depends on how thick the aluminium is. Spray WD-40 every now and then while cutting or metal cutting oil.

Or if you have access to a plasma cutter or know someone with one in a workshop, that can do the job as well.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  4. clonex

clonex Member

Yeah you can cut in on some low teeth count blades (just hope the bitch dont bite) but ideally for a 10" mitre saw you want atleast 60T but ideally 80T.
    Most tool shops sell bee wax in a stick that you rub on the saw blade.

I cut most of my ali stuff on my smaller hitachi saw(216mm) as blades are cheap. Can get 80T ali blades for $30 where as for the 10"or 12" its alot more so only use em for bigger stuff.

Pferd make awesome ali cutting discs tho not cheap for grinders but this is used for +150mm posts.

5. oculi

oculi Member

>> says using a wood blade is a shit suggestion

>> suggests using a jigsaw or plasma cutter to cut aluminium tube

whatever chief.

museumman and hlokk like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

7. clonex

clonex Member

aussie-revhead do you own a dropsaw?

F##k using a circie for that :D

8. oculi

oculi Member

how many teeth do the blades you have got?

9. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Used a compound saw with the original timber tooth blade to cut all the aluminium frames for my window security screens. Like a hot knife through butter.

All fine tooth metal blades do is get clogged up. And it goes without saying, never use a cutting or grinding disc on a grinder.

oculi likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

I dont have a drop saw lol... just a hacksaw.

:)

11. oculi

oculi Member

if you just need it for this job something like this would probably get the job done (without resorting to ebay) and maybe a finer toothed blade.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Rockwell-ShopSeries-Mitre-Saw-210mm-1200-Watt/523342

a sliding compound mitre saw would be better for more stuff though.

then you just need to work out a stop (something the tube locates against to get consistent cuts) system on a bench or a plank and some sawhorses/milk crates.

12. Copie

Copie Member

Just wear eye protection, the aluminium shards from cutting go EVERYWHERE, and they love to make a beeline toward eyeballs.

aussie-revhead likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

14. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

Most of the drop blade come with the saw can't cut aluminum they can only cut wood. You need to buy the blade separately that can cut Al. It will cost ya $50.

15. clonex

clonex Member

Cant say ever had an issue with any blades, more like they get caught in the base of the saw between the plastic guide and can catch on blade.

As for grinder, have never had any issues with these, been the blue(stainless), gray(aluminium) and orange(metal) blades for years tho to be honest the blue blades are much kinder on colorbond. Thry cut ali but burn out quick

https://www.pferd.com.au/flat-cut-off-wheels-ultra-thin-premium-aluminium

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  16. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

i agree with many of the others, ignore matthew kane and use a drop saw or compound saw with a high tooth count blade. you will get a much better finish than a plasma cutter or jigsaw. just go slow and dont overload it. no need to get aluminium specialty equip for this.

anybody using plasma to cut aluminium should have their plasma confiscated

hlokk likes this.
  17. clonex

clonex Member

Jigsaw lol

Thats gonna need some securing to cut that without the jigsaw/ali jumping around. Sounds very time consuming and will look like a rat chewed it.

hlokk likes this.
  18. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

a jigsaw will get you outta trouble for sheet alloy, for tube use a compound saw & use soap or non stick cooking spray as a lube on the blade:)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  19. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

Jigsaw will not give a perfect cut. The blade tended to bend. Drop saw with Aluminum cutting blade is the best. If you don't need a perfect cut just use the hack saw and elbow muscle, it isn't that hard to cut Aluminum with hack saw. I wouldn't go out and a buy a jig saw just to cut Aluminum.

ipv6ready likes this.
  20. 3stars

3stars Member

Capral Aluminum sell that stuff too and will cut it to length for a dollar a cut, all exactly the same or find an supplier that will do it for you