1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Eats in Canberra (and more)

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by aussie-revhead, Nov 8, 2017.

1. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Guys, family and I will be in Canberra for 3 days this weekend, to do the war memorial again (who picked Armistice Day to go to Canberra ...) and explore in general. So where is an awesome place to have breakfast? and where can I get an awesome steak dinner?

Is it worth while doing the Mt Stromlo tour? (it would have been better to do a star gazing night)

What museums are good to visit? What else is cool to do?

I want to chuck a line in too, even if its just for mud suckers (but a redfin would be better).

Any input would be great.

:)

2. fad

fad Member

You should do breakfast in Braddon, lots of places there to choose from.

3. hosh0

hosh0 Member

What type of food do you like? Budget?

4. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

We are staying near there too, easy walk then :)

For brekky? Usual bacon/eggs,/extras, or we are up for anything tasty loooking.

Oh and a good coffee too ...

5. kogi

kogi Member

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Yeah, apparently the cupping room is Canberra's best coffee. Haven't been myself.

If you've got transport while your down, there's a smokehouse out towards Murrumbateman called the poachers pantry: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...look-cafe-and-restaurant-20160831-gr5rft.html

Apparently they're pretty good for food as well.

Canberra is full of cafe's and restaurants, for the most part you can't go wrong. If you like dumplings, the CBD dumpling house is the best, and if you like Laksa, there's an "Asian Noodle House" in Dickson, that I believe has been named Canberra's best laksa, several years running.

Haven't been to the Stromlo observatory, but hear the stargazing nights are good. All I know about Mt Stromlo is the downhill MTB riders that love the course out that way.

The lookout on Mt Ainslie (just behind/above the war memorial) is a good view of the place. There's a walking track behind the war memorial if you're up for some leg punishment, also.

Tidbinbilla nature reserve can be a good spot to look. There's Questacon if you've got some kids with you, might be a bit boring as an adult. Then we've got the national galleries, portrait galleries, parliament house, the arboretum (if you're into trees), etc.

No idea on fishing spots either, I see people throwing into most of the lakes around the place, so there should be fish. I live near Yerrabi pond and see people casting in every now and then.

7. Tinian

Tinian Member

Gus's is open again under new management. Dobinsons also do a good feed. QT restaurant won a bunch of awards this year (and a mate runs it).

Basically anywhere in Civic/ Braddon has good food available. Plenty of places do reasonably good coffee.

I've only ever ridden my bike there.

War Memorial, National Museum, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery are all worthwhile.

Redfin: Any lakes, or dams. If you're at Lake Burley Griffin get around to Blue Gum Point or the other side at Blundells Cottage/ Carillon.

8. fad

fad Member

What is Gus's like? I used to go to the old one all the time.

9. Tinian

Tinian Member

Haven't tried it yet but from reports it's good. The menu is a modern take on your basic items; scrambled eggs becomes chilli crab scrambled eggs, your bacon and egg roll now has tomato relish and aioli, BLT is glazed pork belly with karashi mustard, etc.

10. OP
    OP
    aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Manuka and Benchmark sound nice too.

I will report back in a few days.