eBay Scam?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by Smoothie, May 25, 2019.

1. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

I listed an Iphone 6s on eBay this morning with a Buy it now for like $300.

Within a few hours I get asked by msg "what is my final price?" I respond with - there's the buy it now, just use that.

I then get this, in poor English.

Thank you for getting back to me, i want to let you know that I'm happy to be the buyer of your loving item, i want to package the item well down because I'm buying it for my friend as a birthday Gift that in oversea. i want the item to be posted out Via AUSTRALIAN POST EXPRESS OR Via AUSTRALIAN STANDARD POST OFFICE and it will be cheaper, i will offer you the sum AU $432 for the item and the shipment kindly send me your full bank details or paypal money request to my email (taylaparkes11@gmx.com) so that i will have to make out the payment immediate into your account.

Now every part of me thinks this is a scam, but i just cant see how they win out of it? if they don't use eBay, how can they claim the money back? - is this a poor attempt at stealing details?

Obviously i have declined their generous offer, but im still curious to see if anyone else has encountered this.

2. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Yeah I thought this was the case.. Cheers for the response.

3. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

100% scam. Don't go there.

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

It's a scam. Avoid at all cost, cancel the transaction immediately (you get final value credit) if they clicked BIN and then report the account/person to ebay.

Smoothie likes this.
  5. slavewone

slavewone Member

Definitely odd.

I’m guessing they will either send you money from a stolen account or reverse the transaction after you send (claiming not received- no tracking) or another way.

eBay have insurance so you still get you money if the buyer is using stolen funds etc, so outside you lose.

Just don’t play the game.

6. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Haven't heard anything back from my last msg -

which was - "na, im good - i use ebay for seller/buyer protection and am happy to pay for that"

Bold Eagle and Sanity_Smith like this.
  7. Pat

Pat Member

should have let them know it was a phone too, not a "loving item"

Smoothie and Sanity_Smith like this.
  8. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Maurice Moss may have tweaked the vibrate setting.

Paypal would side with the seller if they provided tracking and SoD, especially if you've got seller protection.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    mAJORD likes this.
  9. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Nah PayPal won't pay out of their own pockets when the scammer reversed their credit card payment. They will find some bullshit reason to hang it on the seller.

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

They do. I've had it happen twice. The first time was before they upgraded my rating to trusted seller or whatever they call it.

11. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Scam and working outside of EBay gets you trouble there as well.

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Honestly, they really do have a language all of their own. I'm met many people from all around the world, with various languages, and never once have I ever met any regular non scamming person, internet or otherwise, who actually talks like this....

Thank you for getting back to me, i want to let you know that I'm happy to be the buyer of your loving item

:lol: It's almost like they use some sort of word/sentence generator or translator.

13. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I get those type of generic replies all the time from some Nigerian prince in South Africa wanting to buy my item and sending it to there niece or nephew studying in NZand they will only make payment via money cheque.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Isn't it amazing that a Prince needs to buy one second hand off someone in another country for their relative when surely a Prince can just go buy a brand new one :lol:

*sigh*.....just no effort in the scams these day. Pro tip: if you're going to scam someone at least make it believable. Having said that though, some people still fall for this shit.

15. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Like be an oil rig worker?

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes! now every one would definitely believe that one : )

17. slavewone

slavewone Member

I use to get ignored as FIFO several years ago. Had to get the SO to do it. Now I can’t stop her.

18. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

... what was the removed post then? o_O

JSmith

19. OP
    OP
    Smoothie

Smoothie Member

How strange, i wonder why that was removed? i cant remember exactly what it was. Something simple, to the point.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  20. Azzan

Azzan Member

Yer fuk PayPal cun7s, I sold ~$600 worth of Diablo 3 items through PayPal(didn't use RMAH cos it was over $250), got email confirmation from the buyer etc. Around week later PayPal told me that transaction was done through hacked PayPal account and I was asked to refund the full amount.. and that was my 2nd ever direct transaction using PayPal.
    I didn't have any issue with my first PayPal transaction(~$1000 Diablo 3 sword) because it wasn't done with legit honest buyer from NSW.