Ebook reader: Looking for a cheap and effective model

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by NitroGuy, May 13, 2011.

1. NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

hey guys, i'm getting tired of being chained to my desk in order to read ebooks and would much prefer to be able to do it when i'm outside on the veranda. i was thinking a cheap laptop would be nice, but i'm not sure if i could read it standing up?

appreciate help.

thanks

edit: ok, i just saw the kindle on the amazon frontpage going for $140. is this a decent device?

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. fergo

fergo Member

The current version Kindle is excellent for reading. I would make sure to get a case for it because the screen is fragile and can break with fairly minimal force compared to other mobile devices.

3. 2xCPU

2xCPU Member

Try the "Portable & Small Form Factor" forum.

4. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

cant go wrong with a kindle. have one. love it. and with the aussie dollar up right now, it's pretty cheap. you drop well under 150 for a decent model.

5. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

ok cool.

i see only 2 models on the page?

what are the downsides of it? it has no problem reading pdfs, .docs, etc? can it be used in the dark or does it need an external light?

6. jamiemao

jamiemao Member

there's only two models. one is wifi only, and the other is wifi plus free 3g.

it doesnt read pdf's and doc's, it reads a proprietary kindle format.
    you can buy a case that has a light on it to read in the dark. otherwise, you wont be able to read the kindle in the dark obviously cos it isnt backlit (which is good).

to be honest, if you're getting an ebook, you cant go wrong with a kindle. it's like the ipod of the ebook world.

7. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  8. BRGMCS

BRGMCS Member

the half a dozen PDF files on my Kindle would disagree with you....

Get the Calibre software and you can put almost anything on there.

9. LuNa7ic

LuNa7ic Member

Make sure that the books you want are available for Australians before making the jump. Due 'gentlemans agreements' in the publishing industry, the Aussie ebook catalogue is just a fraction of what's available in the US. It's the only thing holding me back from buying one.

10. OP
    OP
    NitroGuy

NitroGuy Member

where can you find the proprietary kindle format?

yah i just read the frontpage of amazon and it touts its ability to read .pdfs.

11. bodogbodog

bodogbodog Member

Not correct - you can read PDF's and Docs on a Kindle (certainly at least on a Kindle 2 or 3)
    You can generally find a utillity to convert other eBook formats to be able to be read on a Kindle so you can download ebooks from the net or your local library and convert them easily enough
    I've got both a 3G enabled one and a wireless only one - wireless ie the $140 one is fine if you have access to a wireless network as it allows you to access the Kindle store easily enough

12. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Didn't I read a couple of months ago that Borders was about to go into voluntary administration / receivership?

13. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

Yep. Doesn't necessarily affect Borders in the US though.

You can still buy the Kobo there or from a Borders or A&R here in Aus.

As for books for the Kobo they can be bought from many places, which are often cheaper than Borders or A&R anyway: kobobooks.com, bookdepository etc.
    That's where the Kindle is quite different because it uses its own format which is only sold by Amazon.
    Sure, you can buy epub for example somewhere else, strip the DRM, convert to the kindle format using calibre and then load it onto the Kindle. Not everybody is keen to do that though.

14. BigandY

BigandY Member

subscribed - my gf wants a kindle for her birthday, but if there's a better unit available (mainly to do with book title availability) I'm all ears.

15. Franc

Franc Member

Laptops arent the best for this due to glare and being washed out in the sun.

Another vote for the kindle..Ive used mine to read dozens of books now, its brilliant. There are other ebook readers, but the kindle is easiest the best cheap book reader.

Oh, and if you want a cheap cover deal extreme sell them for ~$10 with free shipping

16. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

I don't think there's an ereader that is "best".

All comes down to personal preference. Plus, how many people out there have used several ereaders for a length of time ? I certainly haven't.

I've used a Kobo for quite a while now, read 15-20 books on it and am really happy. Probably would be really happy if I had bought a kindle, too.

As I said above, the thing I like about the kobo is that you're not tied to one bookstore, which you are with the kindle unless you're prepared to do some fiddling.

Plus, at the moment, $US100+$9 shipping for the Kobo is a very good price.

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

If anybody's considering taking up private health insurance, Medibank Private is giving new members a Kobo.

Do you get those free public domain books on the Kindle as well as on the Kobo?

18. dafrizz

dafrizz Member

Not for the Kindle but you can download them easily from project guttenberg

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes, thanks dafrizz. Even though you can download them, I'm quite attracted by getting the device with stuff to read already on there. I like that about the Kobo.

20. Franc

Franc Member

I have, and a lot of the no names are pretty average (build quality, and usually earlier version of e-ink). Id choose (if you are looking at cheap) between the kobo and kindle for the price, they are both great value for money..

Probably took more effort to write that post than it would take to get the files on there tbh.