Ebook reader: Looking for a cheap and effective model

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by NitroGuy, May 13, 2011.

1. 4wardtristan

4wardtristan Member

i have a kindle and absolutely love it, got my sister one for her birthday and she loves it.

Fantastic for reading, A+ will read on it again.

Not entirely true, you can change your amazon account location and get US books that way, then change your account back to Aus. Worked fine for me.

2. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Just change your Amazon shipping address to a hotel, I use this address and I'm able to buy USA Kindle books on my iPad just fine.

201 BEACH WALK RM 202
    HONOLULU, HAWAII 96815-1953
    United States
    Phone: 8084976228

3. Franc

Franc Member

Wrigley field ftw.

I just did it so I could get the free games.

4. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

that's also true but I've stayed in that room and had shit sent to there from Amazon that's how I use it.

5. Hambo_12

Hambo_12 Member

6. ohayes

ohayes Member

Kindle is excellent, you won't be disappointed, love mine!

7. scon

scon Member

Thinking about the Kindle DX Graphite, need the extra size due to lots of PDF manuals etc and uni books (pretty much all of which come as PDF woo!). Will probably get it this weekend.

8. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

If you can try before you buy check how they flow... Kindle can kind of suck with PDF's. A cheap Tablet might be a better solution.

That said I LOVE my kindle for proper kindle formatted mobi files.

9. thorpee

thorpee Member

Do you you enjoy reading off a laptop screen :Paranoid: than get that laser thing. Otherwise if you prefer to read off paper - get a Kindle and a night lamp

10. Franc

Franc Member

let us know how you go, I dont think it would be bad at all for some stuff...

11. Hambo_12

Hambo_12 Member

Oh OK. I did some more reading last night, and there have been a few reviews that say that they can cause some eye strain.

So it may be better for me to go with the Kindle - I stare at a computer screen all day, I dont want to add to the strain...

12. brycos

brycos Member

If you are going to read anything except text - magazines, textbooks, comics, e-ink readers aren't very good. Either get the Kindle DX or a Nook Color (way better than Laser), the latter is LCD but by far the best LCD screen for reading. The nook color is touch screen LCD, you can zoom in and out of pdfs, it's also a colour screen of course.

I have used both the nook color and kindle a lot. The kindle screen is nicer and paper like, but I am pretty happy with the Nook screen since it's a more flexible device. It's an IPS screen, way better than most laptop screens.

13. Anteros

Anteros Member

Yeah, i just bought a kobo for my girlfriend (wish i had read this thread and thought of getting it in from the US though, would have saved ~$60) and it is pretty good.

It won't be much of a problem for her but if i were to get another i would get one with a larger screen like the kindle DX so textbooks and manga would be a little easier to read and i wouldn't have to fidget around with zoom. For regular books though, i couldn't point out any flaws.

14. ToothpickBandit

ToothpickBandit Member

One thing that you can do with kindle is download the kindle application for your PC, iOS device, Mac. I have read several kindle books on an iPod Touch which has the advantage of being backlit. I've seen a kindle, owned by a friend and it was certainly more readable than the iPod outdoors, I will likely buy myself one at some point in the future. The kindle books sync your current read location back to the kindle servers so you can read the same book on multiple devices and always be up to date. (ie, read on your kindle outside in the sun, read on your iPhone in bed in the dark).

Just my 2c

15. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Same with Kobo...they have a reader app for multiple devices "iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Palm Prē". I ordered mine from Borders.com a week ago, then a day or two later they announced the new version! :tongue: Not to worry as I didn't want to spend much more than $100 on one.

16. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

We have been on the road now since Feb 11 with a Kindle 3g. I gotta say I love it for travel! So far we have read well over 30 - 40 books on it and I personally think its the best thing since sliced bread.

Over perhaps 5 or 6 countries we have downloaded many books via the 3g connection for free. More than I can say for my phone!

I find it quite amazing still that I can be on the train in a foreign country and just connect to amazon.com and browse the books with no charges. Quite simply the best thing for travel if your a reader!

I definately agree with getting the cover / intergrated light as well though.

No problems with battery, hardyness or any issues at all really!

Awesome machine.

Cheers....

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Excuse my ignorance, but how come it's free? Don't you have to pay to have it connected?

Also, can somebody tell me whether touchscreens are any good. Are they reliable? Does the screen "wear out" over time? I'm looking at a Kobo, but they've just put out this new touchscreen model in Canada/US and I'm wondering whether I should wait to get that, or go for the one with buttons.

18. Franc

Franc Member

It is free. God knows how amazon pay for it....

Never heard of a single thing about e-ink wears out...

I dont know about the Kobo in particular, but some touchscreens (Sony esp) have had issues with touchscreens being to reflective and being hard to read..

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

I was just wondering whether pressing the screen can "go bung" so you can't make it do stuff any more.

The advertising says it's a pearl something-or-other the same as the Kindle has.

20. Franc

Franc Member

The kindle hasnt got a touchscreen though - its probably an overlay over the e-ink screen.