Education IT - New Tech!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Oppressa, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

I'm trying to look for new tech that I could embrace to introduce into the classroom.

Other than
    -laptops/slates
    -still/video cams
    -interactive white boards
    -learning management systems (ie online class resources, wikis, blogs, forums)
    -video conferencing

what new/cool technologies have you seen in use or would you like to implement in an educational environment that would encourage learning and possibly create some wow-factor?

2. one4spl

one4spl Member

To learn about or as an education tool?

What age?

3. Mac

Mac Member

Students will learn more from you than they ever will from tech. Unless of course you're teaching Multimedia or CAD then scrap that first sentence... :D

4. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Educational tool, anywhere from K-12

I think that technology is a great supplementary tool for a good teacher though and want to know if there are any new trends that I can employ or perhaps start some pilot groups with to see if they're effective.

5. quickshot84

quickshot84 Member

It kind of links in with interactive white boards, but at the same time is a little bit more, but promethean have these devices called Activotes and ActivExpressions that allow students to interact with the teacher and class more.

http://www.prometheanworld.com/server.php?show=nav.15999
    http://www.prometheanworld.com/server.php?show=nav.15997

We bought a set of the ActivExpressions and the maths teachers are engaging with it really well as you're able to link them in with questions that you have in a slideshow or ActivInspire sheet

6. Phido

Phido Member

There are remotes that allow you to collect survey data from a class (ie answer ABCD).

I was thinking about writing a Android/Iphone app that would allow students to do the same thing...

I've used stereoanaglyph glasses, I am close to demoing stereoscopic polarised 3d. Makes it awesome to teach 3d vectors or 3d physics problems. Chem its useful for chemical modelling. Anaglph is piss easy to setup and low cost. I was hoping to use it in combination with a MS Kinetix setup so I could control it with gestures.

Ala 3d minority report, proberly with some interactive physics simulator ...

I had 3 projectors with anaglph glasses with 3d simulation, 3d sound, students with laptops accessing a wiki/moodle.

I've also used a wiimote to gather live data from a remote control car (X,y,z acceleration) via bluetooth streaming. I am going to back it up with GPS data from a android phone this year. I've also crashed it into crash barriers students have made and its a little contest to see who made the safest barrier. I've also stuck it to a soccer ball and done some projectile motion stuff.

I also transmitted text using FSK encoding using speakers and a another computer to show how FM encoding works for a physics class.

Pretty flashy stuff. High on the engagement factor, creates a real excitement buzz, demonstrates technology goes beyond powerpoint or smartboard lessons. Great for when your lessons are being evaluated..

I love it in science because the lesson can explain how it works, using the technology, which is cirriculum relevant.

Still lot of PIA to setup, research, develop, impliment, scab equipment etc.

7. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

That sounds awesome! Much more engaging than the blackboard and OHT combo when I was at school. The hands on approach allows one to learn at a greater rate or at least solidify the knowledge from my experience with practical/project based uni electives. Technic & mindstorms (and their non-lego analogues) complement this quite effectively.

Looks like you have a lot more freedom in your teaching style from what I remember growing up. The most fun I remember in maths, physics and chem was occasionally playing with acid, throwing charged caps at people and knocking up neat little shortcuts into the graphics calculator (or pulling hair out over reverse polish calculators). Now days you can get the equivalent of Matlab on a phone!

8. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

If/when Microsoft Surface comes down in price, I can see it being an awesome classroom tool. :thumbup:

With the latest version it seems to be becoming more practical in terms of both cost and space requirements.