EK Meltemi - Single 38mm fan better solution than dual 25mm?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Tazor, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Tazor

Tazor Member

So I just saw the EK Meltemi pop up and was really intrigued by it:

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/47674/ek-meltemi-120er-500-1800rpm-fan

It's a 38mm thick fan with a maximum fan speed of 1800 rpm which has a static pressure of 2.75mm H2O.

I currently have 2 25mm fans on a single 120 radiator in my loop and I'm now wondering - would a single one of these fans make more sense in any situation you may be planning on running a push pull configuration?

Being 12mm slimmer than the equivalent dual fans it seems like it could be a good alternative to cut down on noise, maintain performance or opt for a thicker radiator instead of the dual fans (PE EK rads are 12mm thicker than the SE I'm pretty sure, or damn close to).

Thought I'd raise the topic and see what people's thoughts were on these fans.
    I'm definitely keen to pick one up but that's because I have an SFF build and my current radiator and dual fan set up is 2mm from the edge of my motherboard :lol:

Cheers,

Tazor

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I saw these pop up too mate. I remember having some old metal CoolerMaster 38mm fans for a while.

3mm of SP is a bloody good effort, and only really matched by the Industrial 25mm fans up over 2500RPM. Agree on the reduction in thickness.

The only worry will be noise - double-ball bearings aren't quiet. The big PWM range might help, I'd be interested to see the SP curve on them though at lower speeds.

Probably worth a shot! :thumbup:

3. tunksy

tunksy Member

Absolutely worth a shot for sure! Old 38mm fans used to be loud and push heaps of air.

4. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

It's actually dependent upon what radiator you're using, and what the FPI configuration of it is. While it's generally a given that more air equates to lower water temperatures there are points of diminishing returns, and the more open FPI designs (12FPI and under) don't improve massively with big airflow differences. Those fans are pulling 19W, so running them at full speed is not going to be quiet, not to mention that it's 19W of heat per fan being added to the system. If your FPI is 16+, then they might be beneficial but I was never sold on the buzzing noise that PWM introduces to fans.

5. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

My Rad's FPI is roughly 16, so it might be worth it I reckon. Worth a try at some stage anyway.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  6. Cathar

Cathar Storm Father

FPI means Fins per Inch, or how many fins in 25.4mm. I am guessing that by 1, you probably meant 1mm between each fin, which would be 25fpi, in which case, those fans would definitely help

7. OP
    OP
    Tazor

Tazor Member

No sorry - I just typo'd hahaha was meant to say 16, fixed :lol: