1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

EL backlight

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by TRG.dOinK, Mar 24, 2006.

1. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I have a Sony XR C800 old headunit in my car... the LCD screen works and it plays music fine. The backlight does not light up though, which makes it impossible to see in the dark. I went to the Sony website and already gone and emailed Speedy Spares, whom dont have anything for it anymore.

Im now wondering if there is any other EL backlight that i could find/purchase and put in. I cant seem to find anything. I might have to add a few bright white leds from a camera. Otherwise i think i might have to save for a new headunit.

Edit: Came up with a few ideas.

A. Buy a EL backlight off US ebay
    B. Get an old EL backlight from a calculator (green most likely)
    C. Use the blue tiny leds from my half working 8250 nokia.
    D. Use my surface mount bright red/white led strips (unsure if it will fit though)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2006
  2. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

one other question, what can i place over the top if i decide to use the blue leds to make the light spread more? Clear sticky tape? Must be very thin, limited space :(

Any of those like plastic lunch bags perhaps?

3. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Is it EL or LED illumination? If it is LED, they will most certainly be SMD LED's. Go to Jaycar and get some replacements. If you use standard LED's (unlikely) just give them a once over with some 1000 grit sandpaper.
    If it is EL, Jaycar also sell them too. You'll just have to open it up and see, post some pics if you can.
    The problem may even be in the drive circutry. If it is, it's probably easier to get a new face (or deck).

4. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

Since when do Jaycar sell EL material, besides the standard EL wire?

5. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

It is EL. We opened it at work, twice now.

We pulled the EL display out, applied 100V AC to the EL but it didnt light up, just sparked (Perhaps a short?)

Surface mount leds will be too big i think. I have red/white surface mouse leds but they are too big i think for it to fit.

If i can buy EL backlight from jaycar, i certainly will.

Sony distributor for parts, do not have the deck or face or any parts for it :(

I might end up using my 8250 surface mount leds from the buttons/screen, they will fit. Might have trouble trying to solder them though, and ive got to work out voltage levels where to tap from :( I need the schematic.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  6. LethalCorpse

LethalCorpse Member

You can't. Sorry.

7. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Eh dam, ive only seen a few off ebay in the us. Thing is though if the unit is stuffed too, its not going to then work :(

Ah decisions. Ive seen them for $10 us... so proberly around $25 Aus with postage or so im guessing.

8. purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

hmmm why did you apply 100V AC to it? I hope u dont mean 100V 50Hz sort of AC.

They need a much larger Freq to run, the ones I made in the US we usually drove with about 10kHz and about 200-400V :s

I would think the drive circuitry is dead rather then the lamp it's self.

can u measure the capacitance of the lamp?

Chris

9. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Sorry, I meant Farnell, mixing my suppliers. If it turns out to be the EL, try Farnell . Most probably the driver circuit. (but you could have killed the EL now too...)

10. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Ah farnell ey. Seems the better option than US.

We only had a AC 100V transformer at work from like an old heater or something. Oh wells...

The drive circuitry? Theres a circuit in the EL display or you mean the face? Bit confused there. If i get a new EL display from farnell i get the circuitry with it yes?

Hrm i need a proper 100V 400Hz AC power supply so i can test the dam thing :(

11. daztay

daztay Member

I rebuild backlights with EL sheeting from farnell or RS, A4 pages about $100.
    You can buy the invertors which are at memory 400hz or 4khz at about 400 volts.
    The EL sheeting is cool as you can cut to shape and them add terminals to solder to and laminate the whole thing , making a nice custom EL.
    I use EL sheeting to replace CCFL tubes that if I cant the right size.You need a new invertor to do this.

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search2/b...tk=gensearch_001&Ntt=el&Ntx=&_requestid=40433

12. purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

Actually, if your interested i have an inverter here u can try the light with.

I also have a backlight from an LCD that I managed to fry (the LCD that is not the backlight) if your interested. It's plenty big enough for a car head unit back light.

I can help u cut it to size and mount it if you want...

Chris

13. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

sounds sweet :) but i dont need an A4 page, its only around im guessing... 10cm by 2.5cm :)

14. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Um, whats the size dimensions and what colour? :)

15. purple_jeep

purple_jeep Member

Its about 8 * 26 cm.

umm not sure on the colour Id have to wire it up again :p

Chris

U can cut them to any shape and size you want
    as long as u scrape the edges to make sure there are no shorts from top to bottom electrode.

16. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Sorry to bump an old thread. I've got to the point that i cannot live without this backlight anymore and better get off my behind... :)

Would anyone be able to cut /or have, an EL backlight roughly 9cm*2cm (will get accurate dimensions later)? I dont want to buy an A4 sheet of the stuff for $100 but am willing to spend some money on it.

17. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

Do a search on Farnell's site, they do smaller sizes as well as the A4 size.

18. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

i have checked
    its either 50*60mm for like $26
    or either 130*120mm for like $75
    :|

I dont really want to spend $75 to find out that my backlight still doesnt work.
    I might go hunting for old headunits. Would be cheaper.

19. OP
    OP
    TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Update...

You wouldnt believe it. I found a XR-C900 detachable face on ebay brand new. My headunit is an XR-C800, but they looked the same, and i figured I'd take the backlight out of this. Anyways, before doing that, i said, 'meh, just plug it in', and it works just like my original. Although... the dam thing still doesnt light up. So im guessing that was a waste of money.

I have to open up the deck, and find where the inverter is and get a new inverter, except they look/seem expensive too. Am I able to find a cheap inverter or is it ebay usa (in which ill need someone who has paypal) that i need to be hunting?

One more pain in the arse thing is that i have to figure out how to remove the deck from the car. Not so easy. Dam.

20. TERRA Operative

TERRA Operative Member

If you have 2 faces that don't light up, could it be the deck not supplying the voltages/whatever it should be?
    Do you know what the pinout is for the connector on the face? Your deck may have blown a fuse or whatever in the unit which is preventing power getting to the face to power the backlight.