Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Dec 12, 2010.

1. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

Quick question, after you've improved an Item on the Work bench, can you improve it again, once you level up? And can you imporve beyond flawless?

And also, on the thieves guild, how do I start the final four special quests, I'm only getting the generic ones.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Azer1234

Azer1234 Member

@ foxhound

dont think u can improve a weapon more than once, except for adding enchantments of course.
    anyone correct me if im wrong, the level of the improvement depends on the base damage value of the weapon. say an imperial sword is has 11 damage points (just using rough figures here) it will be improved to 15 or something (fine).

so the medium level weapons like elven get improved to around 30 which earns them the (flawless), and then when u have a weapon like a daedric sword which is base value of lets say 25 or sumin it gets improved to around the 55 mark which earns it the (legendary) status.

level up smithing by making a fuck load of iron daggers, find about 200 iron ore and leather strips.

so to get legendary u need dwaren, ebony or daedric weapons maybe a few others, and the perks to be able to improve them

with the theives guild u need to complete 4 or 5 normal jobs in a specific hold for delvin to give u a special job there. to fast track to a special job ask both delvin and vex for jobs and if they arnt in the same location u can quit a job and get another untill u have say 2 jobs in whiterun. but beware quitting jobs earns u a negative result when checking ur quest stats, im -16 in theives guild now, dont really care but it i dont think ill be able to officially complete the questline...

complete all the special jobs then all the fences (merchants u can sell stolen goods to) u meet during the jobs will have $4000 for u to get rich on

riften jobs dont ammount to anything

3. Unframed

Unframed Member

I have upgraded my dwarven boots from standard to fine, superior and then exquisite.
    Same as all my weapons and wolf armour.

4. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

highest level for upgrading is legendary, and you can keep on going after upgrading to say flawless or fine.

5. anrke

anrke Member

I installed Serious HD as it has both 1024 and 2048 res textures - I wanted to trial the 1024 ones first as they're less likely to impact performance beyond load times. I've also read the benefits from 512 to 1024 textures is far more dramatic than the 1024 to 2048 move.

I know this has been answered a few times, but I've found no limit to the number of times I can upgrade weapons and armor. Even if something is already 'flawless', if I drink a smithing potion or find some +smithing bracers then you can improve them further (still flawless, just a higher armor/damage number).

6. AEKaBeer

AEKaBeer Member

Azer1234 I don't think you needed spoiler tags for your post until you got to the "with the theives guild" bit even then I'm not sure if any of that falls into the category of spoiler.

7. steelbom

steelbom Member

I think enchantments negatively impact how well an item can be improved. For example, I had the
    dawnbreaker
    and a dwarven one handed axe w/ soul gem enchantment, and with a set of smithing gear and 100 smithing, I was only able to improve the former to 100 or so damage, yet the axe I got up to 180. So, I don't think damage has anything to do with it plus, whatever formula they used then wouldn't work with armour either so it makes sense they'd use something that applies to both of them, however I think they're just hard coded values for each armour class.

8. F1Fan2011

F1Fan2011 (Banned or Deleted)

i've put this game on the backburner for a while hoping it will come out with some awesome mods in the next few months :)

9. markius

markius Member

Answered a couple of times already, but yes, there seems to be no limit to the number of times you can upgrade a weapon or piece of armour. Items can be imporved further as your smithing skill increases, or you find items/potions which boost your smithing skill.

Be careful though. I levelled smithing to 100 with perks in the heavy armour path and allso levelled enchanting to 100 (no perks). Made myself a full set of Daedric armour, as well as a bow, war axe, and battleaxe. The Deadric perk in smithing allows me to upgrade these items 100% more than normal, but I also found/enchanted several items and potions that increased my smithing further (Necklace +20% smithing, Ring and Robes +10% smithing, Gloves + 25% smithing, Potion +50% smithihng for 30 seconds). I'm not sure how these %s stack, but after applying them all and upgrading my Daedric items, I found I was simply too powerful, even on Master difficulty, making the game less fun for me. I went back and made a new set of Daedric armour/weapons, and only upgraded them without using the additional smithing bonuses from items/potions. While still being quite strong, most high level enemies put up a decent challenge.

Keep in mind that I was overpowered putting perks in smithing alone. Putting perks in enchanting and or alchemy as well would have been insane.

TL/DR:
    100 Smithing + Perks = Overpowered
    100 Smithing & Enchanting + Perks in both = Cheating

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  10. anrke

anrke Member

My experience is very similar! I'm level 46, smithing and enchanting 100 each... haven't gone to the trouble of min/max'ing enchanting and smithing, but I still feel very OP on Master difficulty (heavy daedric armor, 1hand + shield, 2 enchants on most items).

11. steffan72

steffan72 Member

thats one of the reasons i re-rolled a new character......i was finding things too easy with my battlemage. I had smithing at 100 and heavy armour at 100, enchanting up around 90, destruction around 60 and things were no longer posing me a challenge.....i would just wade right in and half the time it would go straight into a finishing /death blow for the average opponent. couldnt really see the point in keeping going with that.

I am enjoying the challenge iof my archer/sneak/1 handed fighter. Not going any magic on this one apart from soul trap

12. G2A_CeleronGuy

G2A_CeleronGuy Member

I found alteration fun to play when i find minerals + trading skills makes lots of gold :O

13. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

It seems I think a lot less about what to improve in my character than most.

Im just really exploring and what happens happens sort of thing. I guess doing it this way leaves me less susceptible to becoming too OP though.

Installing Skyrim HD now, will report back on FPS hit. Didn't go the other one mentioned, as it was only landscape textures.

14. Unframed

Unframed Member

I dont care if my char ends up OP, I just train in what I want.

15. orbitor

orbitor Member

I deliberately avoid power leveling as it usually just ends up making the game worse to play. My character has points and perks in just about everything, which means I get to do lots of different stuff, but my character isn't overpowered.

16. lithos

lithos Member

Anyone else here think the perks weren't handled well?

FO3's perks were nice things to have; not necessary, but indeed, perks - things you don't need, but quite cool. They were pretty much separate to the standard leveling system.

In Skyrim, there are quite a few perks that're pretty necessary to have, or you're gonna have a shit time of it: things like the Ranger perk for Archery is a fairly big necessity, I'd say.

And there are a lot of pointless filler perks: the stupid Extra Damage ones, for example - I'm playing on Adept, and yet you STILL need to put points into them or else your damage simply doesn't go up much.

17. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

It would have been better if bethesda didnt name them perks to begin with. From memory FO3 had the exp system, where each time you levelled you allocated points into skills. You could compare the skill allocation to skyrim's perk allocation.

It's not a bad system, Bethesda just chose poor naming for it.

18. Unframed

Unframed Member

Anyone know of a mod to change the music in Skyrim to that of my choice?
    It turns out it isn't the simple encode and rename task of Oblivion.

19. Idryss

Idryss Member

So far across 3 character I don't think I have had any that I would consider necessary. My thief has gone 40 levels without ranger for instance, and none of my toons has more than one point in the base damage bonus of their weapon tree. I admit there are filler perks, but the damage ones are not it (pickpocketing keys? 90% chance already, don't need more really.)

Tempted to do a run through with zero perks at some point. Just trying to finish off my current ones. Alchemy and speech are annoying to have to level :(

20. oculi

oculi Member

i've only just met the graybeards so maybe i still need some time to get in to it, but i just keep thinking "i wish this was fallout 4" every time i hear a shared sound effect. skyrim is the first ES game i've played.