Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Dec 12, 2010.

1. apsilon

apsilon Member

Watched the vid again, definitely no specific mention of upgrades for PC version. I'm sure they'll get the lighting changes, new shaders, depth of field etc but that's all stuff that has been available for years via mods. I'm sure that's why it's free on PC whereas for console it'll be priced like a brand new title. Perhaps it'll at least all the use of more RAM if the engine has been tweaked.

I also wonder how well mods will work on consoles. I haven't kept up on Skyrim mods but many, perhaps all, the top mods used SKSE, Sky UI and MCM and I can't see any of those working on console and therefore any mod that relies on them. I think a lot of console users are going to buy this expecting to get access to all the awesome mods that have been made and then realise they can only use a tiny portion of what made Skyrim so awesome.

2. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

The video may not have mentioned it specifically but it is coming to PC as a separate title. Bethesda twitter confirmed owners of the base game and all DLC or the Legendary edition will receive the special edition as a separate game listed in Steam.

I've seen some speculation that it's using the Fallout 4 engine and should be able utilise more than 4GB of system RAM.

3. power

power Member

The big thing is the fact it's coming to current consoles - definitely coming to PC but it's free so yeah no big song and dance over that.

4. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Free if you own it... Bethesda are likely going to charge full price to buy it when it's released and remove the original version from Steam, because money

I was just up at EB Games collecting the legendary edition for $20 and they said their SKU for the console version is $80

5. apsilon

apsilon Member

Oh definitely coming to PC, I just don't think the PC version is getting any real updates unlike the console version which is why it wasn't highlighted in the vid. It looks like the consoles are basically getting the PC high res textures plus the new lighting, water, DOF etc.

If it can use more RAM that'll be nice as I was running into that limit with a heavily modded install. Even with all the tricks that were developed it was still annoying on occasion. I currently don't have it installed but this might give me reason to install again and have another run through. I'm sure there must be some interesting new mods by now.

6. MightyOz

MightyOz Member

Sure is, Enderal will be out soon :)

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

Hadn't heard of it so looked it up. Looks like it should be good though it's a while off yet, at least for the english version.

While looking at that I found Last Seed is coming. I thought he'd abandoned this mod so that's great news as I'm a huge immersion fan and love his other work.

8. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

without trawling through the entire thread, is there one mod that updates graphics? Installed again the other day, but I cbf downloading 50 mods and hacking away for 3 hours*...

If there was a simple patch to make the game look the shiz then please let me know. Or the easiest method...

*may or may not be a real representation of modding, I have no idea.

9. danyell

danyell Member

Eagerly awaiting responses to the above, I'm just level 10 right now but farrrk this game has its hooks in after sitting unloved in my steam library for 4+ years!

10. apsilon

apsilon Member

I've been away from Skyrim for a couple of years but I very much doubt there's a single mod to do it all. My guess is you'll want several texture mods, the static mesh improvement mod (unless this has been superseded) and an ENB at a minimum. I suggest looking at Youtube and searching for best skyrim visual mods 2016 or something and see what takes your fancy.

There's so much more than just visual mods though. I wouldn't even consider playing without things like SkyUI though I guess some would argue it's a visual mod. All depends on what you're after for your gaming experience. For me Bethesda games are never about the latest and greatest graphics. The thing they do best is build open worlds to explore IMO.

11. MightyOz

MightyOz Member

Skyrim HD - 2K Textures will do most but you will need a few others to make it more stable. Unofficial etc

12. apsilon

apsilon Member

Ahh yes, the unofficial patch (patches?) are pretty much essential. Really other than checking out Youtube as I suggested earlier I'd suggest looking on Nexus for the Top 25 non adult mods of all time and browse through those and see what you like. Nexus Mod Manager is great, can't remember what the utility was that I used for load order sorting but I'm sure someone will as it was common.

13. power

power Member

I'd just wait for the remaster - these questions come up all the time in TES threads and the answers are never ever satisfactory IMO.

14. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

So after 5 years of not bothering with Skyrim I decided to install some basic mods (Sky UI and unofficial patch) and fired up the game... I can't believe this game was so well received at launch. The boring story, the janky animations, the mediocre combat... Even with Sky UI it still feels like a chore to actually equip my gear. The horrible lip synced dialogue is the worst.

Even modded 5 years after release this game feels about as unpolished as should be expected from Bethesda.

Maybe I should just replay Witcher 3 if I want actually enjoy playing an RPG.

I might give this game a fair effort when the remaster hits because even without graphical mods the game does actually look ok... Could use a bit more colour than Gears of War brown though.

15. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Well, its true. Going back from playing The Witcher 3, you are essentially moving from a new once in a generation style game with a voiced strong protagonist and amazing storylines. Its not even in the same realm and realistically, if you hold most RPGs up against TW3, they will fail miserably.

I loved Skyrim, but TW3 is truly next level.

16. power

power Member

It'd be fairer to compare to TW2, but even then they are a different types of games - TW is more narrative based. The protagonist in Skyrim doesn't even get voiced. I played Skyrim at launch but do wonder if I'd still enjoy it as much today, hmm I probably would for me Skyrim was more about exploration and fighting stuff than anything else. Take all the narrative out of TW series and that would be a fairer comparison. Music was more memorable in Skyrim though I think it actually wins there.

17. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I would definately prefer Skyrim to TW3 without narrative but the story is what is great about TW3. The story in Skyrim just wasnt all that amazing or really drew me in in the same way. In fact, despite hundreds of hours on Skyrim, I never actually finished the main quest...

18. apsilon

apsilon Member

I never even started it in around 200 hours of play. That meant no dragons and shouts etc but as I said in an earlier post, Bethesda games never have great stories or cutting edge graphics but they do have big open world to explore as you please.

19. power

power Member

main quest was worth doing but not the be all and end all - but you miss out on a bunch of stuff by not doing it.

20. apsilon

apsilon Member

Such as? I know I miss out on randomly spawning dragons but that to me is just as annoying as the randomly spawning Oblivion gates were in Oblivion. They become so common it ends up be "Oh look another dragon. Oh no. Damn it someone is looking, suppose I better go and fight it.".