Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Philll, Dec 12, 2010.

1. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

Makes you wonder why they even attach half-assed narratives to their games in the first place? Perhaps they'd be better off spending more time polishing the game rather than hamfisting a story into it.

Even ignoring the narrative aspects of comparing Skyrim to Witcher, look at the work CDPR did polishing and refining their engine from W1 -> W2 -> W3. Hands down CDPR actually seemed to care what their games looked like rather than pushing it out the door to let the modders fix it.

2. power

power Member

I find the stories will direct you around the map and trigger events and different types of loot.

Otherwise all you have is a half arsed survival game like "The Long Dark" or similar.

3. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

well after figuring out how to play with the graphics....51 mods later and the game looks pretty good.

Why this game was so special to people back on release i have nfi....immersion for me is what keeps me playing and it has to at least look ok to do so.

Just need to figure out if all my mods are loading properly now. I can tell sometimes one or two wont be active when in game, so have to go reload it....?

:confused:

4. apsilon

apsilon Member

Load order is very important. Are you using Boss or Loot to sort your load order?

5. Franc

Franc Member

I loved Oblivion, but Skyrim on release felt a bit meh. Havent touched it since then, though i will soon with a ton of mods.

Doenst nearly have the immersion of some other games (and i hate levelled monsters/loot/repeating dungeons)

In relation to mods, use a mod loader to get the order setup.

6. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Yer used loot to ensure that its configured then tesv to clean etc.

Just annoying when I go to play and can see that the trees are back to std or the fires are rendering std. I wish it was easier to tell what is actually working...

7. apsilon

apsilon Member

Levelled monsters and loot is my biggest complaint with these games. Problem is if they didn't level creatures the current generation of gamers would all whinge that the games broken and they can't beat the giant king at level 2. Levelled loot is also a game balance thing but I think if you're lucky enough to find a great item early on or defeat someone who has a high level item then good for you.

Hmm, not something I ever came across. My guess would be a conflict between 2 or more of the mods. I'd check for compatibility patches and notes for the mods you've got installed. The load order sort utilities don't always get it right. You could always double check. You said you used Loot so try Boss and see if it gives you the same order. Failing that it's the fun of disabling one at a time and try and find what's causing the problem manually.

8. power

power Member

My only real complaint coming out of Skyrim was that the battles with the Dragons weren't as epic as they should have been - after a while they were not hard to kill at all couple of whacks and dead.

Go sideways to a game like Dragon Age Inquisition and the dragons were truly epic with fantastic almost MMO level Dragons to fight. I'm not saying that MMO battles are what I am after - but more than a couple of hits is preferable.

9. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

Yer was following someones guide / patches and it appears that two are conflicting...have to choose or manually play with the load order which seems to have helped atm, no crashing.

The more you play it seems the more mods I need. Small things like lack of footprints in the snow....like wtf sort of games these days dont put small things like that in?

10. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

Yeah well it certainly becomes a never ending quest to perfect your game with mods. I did it and I have it working perfectly. Unforunately, I think I spent more time setting up my latest modded playthrough and only played like 10 hours of it.

Really need to sit down and play these through though the remaster has me intrigued because due to the number of mods I was using, had to rely on dodgy memory hacks to make it work properly without crashing..

Just remember, if you use a lot of mods, use the ENB and SKSE Memory fix to ensure you have access to a much larger pool of RAM. This was common cause of CTD.

11. havabeer

havabeer Member

i just wish they could bring back to morrowind mechanics,

no leveled monsters
    no leveled loot
    dungeons where unique and no "quick exit" at the end
    you could/had to travel vertically to get to some area's

even these type of mechanics where part of witcher 3 to some extent and that game was great and ton's of other people agree. its the same with fallout 4 so many people where waiting for the survival mode in fallout 4 just to add some difficulty to the game.

12. power

power Member

I could not go back to a world without quick exits, I just hate backtracking.

13. bl4ck32

bl4ck32 Member

same.

I do believe that there are mods to turn off level scaling etc including loot and monsters, so may be worth looking at to see how well they play.

14. Supersize

Supersize Member

So Enderal mod has been released.
    For those who missed it:
    http://enderal.com/

I downloaded it yesterday, 7.5GB's and I have to say WOW, it's like a whole new game.
    Other than some assets and the engine there's nothing left of the original Skyrim.

15. power

power Member

Yeah so keen for this, it looks pretty epic.

16. Supersize

Supersize Member

Dropped a couple of hours into it lastnight, it's very well done with a good story.
    It's not perfect, you can tell a lot of voice acting was done in different places, but really for a 30+ hour free mod you can look past it.

Took a couple of quick screenshot just then, sorry it was night time and you can't rest just anywhere...lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

Still haven't got around to playing this with or without mods lol...
    not sure where to start with mods now...

18. power

power Member

Wait for the remastered version before starting at this point in time, it's due out soon and I believe is a free update for PC Steam owners.

19. Supersize

Supersize Member

What the rumor mill is say is that current mods won't work on the remastered version.
    If it's true that will suck for all the modders out there, I'm sure they'll fix it but it will still take time.

20. power

power Member

I wouldn't be too concerned, mods will get updated - and many of them are visual anyway.