1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Eleanor Schonell Bridge (aka Green Bridge) shots

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by OzJustin, Apr 9, 2007.

1. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Ok I took a few shots of the Green Bridge opposite University of Qld yesterday. Wasn't the greatest weather but I made do. The bridge made for some interesting shots.
    Photos taken with a 'point and shoot' (Canon PowerShot A530) so be gentle. :p

All comments and criticism most welcome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This final shot is the bicycle path leading into UQ.
    [​IMG]

2. azeroth

azeroth Member

I really like the early ones in the series because they have interesting angles and the colours seem pretty true to life. The last four are a bit more ordinary in terms of colours - they're washed out a bit but the composition is good :thumbup:

The only one I don't like is number 6 as it's got too many competing lines and the curve of the bridge supports puts me off.

Personal fave is number two but I would have left the concrete out from the right and focussed more on the tower and wires :)

3. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Cheers for the comments azeroth. I agree about the latter photos. They aren't quite as impressive as the first few with the nice blue skyline as highlight. The second photo probably would look better without the roof on the right, unfortunately I didn't consider that at the time. Next time though :thumbup:

4. azeroth

azeroth Member

didn't do any PP on them?

You've convinced me that thing is worth photographing, I'm going to head down there this week with my camera over lunch :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

I slightly adjusted the brightness and contrast on a couple. Nothing besides that.
    Let me know how your shots turn out if you make it out there. :thumbup:

6. azeroth

azeroth Member

These are the ones I took yesterday afternoon - well the ones I've processed. I spent a bit of time trying out motion shots of the buses although handheld isn't the best way to do it :)

The set is here http://www.flickr.com/photos/squared/sets/72157600063679170/ - 7 pics so far, maybe more this arvo if I find more in my collection worth posting :p

I found where you stood for your bridge support pic I think, you're right that roof does get in the way! These things are also hard to photograph in a way that makes them interesting, at least for me anyway. I have about twenty pics of bridge towers and they all look dull. Nothing against bridges, just my creativity!
    [​IMG]

Writing on the rails - that's my wife in the background clearly impressed with my photography skills ;) She's less blurry in real life I assure you
    [​IMG]

I grabbed some shots of the buses as they went past so I could try to get that blurred motion effect - might be tripod territory given how some of them turned out.
    [​IMG]

Definitely soft but I still think it's worth me chasing.
    [​IMG]

I'll add more to the flickr set - I did a bit of PP on some, but mostly unsharpen and resize. Changed the WB in Photoshop (raw) as well.

7. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Just had a look at your Flickr shots. It's interesting how the colour of the beam changed so much between our photos (yours is more of a beige). I really like the motion shot where the bus is more silver in colour. It actually looks like a train to the unknowing eye (nicely done). Your Flickr shot showing the walkway (from the UQ end) is also quite impressive (especially with no people around). :)

8. koma_white

koma_white Member

I recognise that bridge!!!
    Nice shots, and great to finally see the bridge in something other that a CG render or photomontague. Was designed by Denton Corker Marshall and was/is an interesting project.

Would be great to get a few evening shots with a clear sky.

9. azeroth

azeroth Member

my bridge support turned out that way due to some heavy fiddling with the colours - it came out of the camera a lot lighter and much more white. Yeah and I have no idea how I managed to find a time where that bridge has no people on it :confused: When we walked across it it was packed most of the time with all the UQ staff walking home.

Come to think of it it was semester break too, so that might have helped. I'm going to go back earlier in the day (I work on campus) and try to get some shots of the supporting wires - none of my late afternoon ones turned out very well.

10. ttv8

ttv8 Member

ive seen a guy take a photo there with the sun shining on those rectangular plates in the afternoon, maybe go try that, thats when they are gold in colour. just a suggestion