1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Capstone

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PimpuSMaximuS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

Hey there, just wondering if any of you out there have done or are comming up to do your capstone for Electricial Trade.

Just want to hear your experiences with it, how long you studied etc...

I'm comming up to do it in next couple of months and pulling my hair out!

2. bergerac

bergerac Member

Which TAFE you at? I know some offer refresher courses before you do it to get you back up to speed. Fail rate is pretty high from what I heard, not looking forward to it myself but I have about a year before I have to worry about that.

3. dabear

dabear Member

I've got my Electrical Linespersons Capstone in about 2 weeks.

I'm in the frame of mind that if you know what you're doing, then you'll pass it. For me the practical tests are harder than the theroy exam... :Paranoid:

4. sbadman

sbadman Member

Did it in '07 just before new rule book came into effect. Practical was testing a motor for connection and wiring up a switchboard. Watch your earth sizes and cable loops ie at the hinged point of the panel, the assessor I had was very particular about that!

Theory was mostly stuff from 3rd year. I personally found it easy (enough so that I got there 15min late(traffic), left 1hr early, and still scored 96%) but theory was my strong point right the way through. Others sailed through the prac but got lost in the theory. Those that would have had no chance were already mostly weeded out in the first 3 years anyway.

Your college will have access to past papers, and part of the capstone is refreshers, as it's more of an extra module rather than a straight up exam. Ask lots of questions if you need, the teachers will help you if they can see you're genuine about passing. If you're not....well, you just wasted 4 years :)

Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

yeah i will have to get the new rule book and read up on the changes... pretty basic searchin index imo.

I will chace up on that week or so refresher that you mentioned, but i'm sure they will do it other mates of mine did.

Theory side will be the only worry I think even know did fairly well through tafe, spose we will see how much stuck in my my head. Alot of brain cells poped in the beer bubbles in 4 years...

sbadman: which theory subjects gave u most hasstle?

EDIT: in WA tafe, perth atm

6. sbadman

sbadman Member

Applied AC Theory was my worst graded module (relatively at a mark of 81). Unfortunatelly the teacher I had for that module was the kind that would destroy a test paper right after marking it, so I'll never know where I went wrong or if in fact the teacher had marked incorrectly, and it did happen a few times over the 3 years. I wouldn't question it unless I could prove it, which I usually could, always with a mix of happy and annoyed classmates as their marks are also changed! Mathematical equations always yeild finite and specific results and make great proving tools :)

You won't get much, if any, AC theory in the Capstone though. Capstone is about knowledge you'll need in your day to day work like cable selection, installation, and of course the bible (AS3000). For most sparkies, particularly domestic, knowing about waveform seperation, vectors, sinewaves, etc isn't really essential.

7. OP
    OP
    PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

So your saying they don't have much on the technical side? I thought it would have a fair chunk of the test just for that kinda stuff yes?

8. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Been out of the trade for about 7 years... Didn't complete the tafe side, missed out on two telco subjects but am re-enrolling in a couple of days to bring me up to speed.. Will be doing the capstone in about 6 or so months.. Not looking forward to it at the moment.
    I'm sure though that once i get back on it i'll be fine :)

9. sbadman

sbadman Member

Not really, all the AC theory related subjects get covered off in 2nd year and aren't really brought up again in Capstone. I believe that by the time you get to Capstone they're more interested in knowing you'll install the correct bits and pieces (eg cable, circuit breakers, fittings) and that you'll install and commission them correctly. So think maximum demand calcs, plenty of AS3008 questions, and of course AS3000 questions. Maybe even a bit from AS3017.

When you think about it, that's what an inspector will be looking for, not your knowledge of vectors :)

10. OP
    OP
    PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

kyl3: so you never got ur trade or you have to do the capstone now???

sbadman: i can see what your saying, might concerntrate on the other stuff abit more then... ta

11. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Nah it goes like this :)

Completed time, got craft certificate.
    Completed every single module apart from basic telephony and tele cabling installations. Failed due to attendance not not the course result.

Gave up on trade for 7 years and here I am, syllabus has changed twice since then and now I need to bridge what I have done and what I have not :)

12. beertank23

beertank23 Member

Got mine coming up in about 9 months or so.

Not so stressed yet, I'm stressed about getting all my workplace evidence together, thats a hassle.

13. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

I am lucky here as I have a craft certificate saying I have enough evidnce :)

Photos, diary, reference from workers are all great

14. MATTATHOME

MATTATHOME Member

Some of the puds just did theirs, no dramas at all.

I know that the year before when the rule book changed, one whole class including an apprentice from work all failed. The capstone centered around the new book of which they had no knowledge of .The whole class got a crash course , re-sat the capstone and all passed.

Dont stress it.. You'll be right.

MATT

15. heller44

heller44 Member

I sat the capstone the week before christmas at balga tafe.

Go through the booklet they send out with all the questions and that will take care of all your theory study, max demand no longer has any 3-phase component, all single phase so a brain-dead monkey could pass it.

The first two days of the capstone week are revision, one day of theory and one day of practical (appliance testing and installation testing), no practice at wiring up the installation but you should have had enough of doing that at work, unfortunately I don't do any housebashing so that was what I had the most problem with, just completing it in the timeframe.

Out of a class of 12, 7 passed. The friday is for resitting any tests you failed, one guy was told not to bother and come back in a few months as he failed everything except the isolation procedure...

If you want the questions to study a bit earlier than what they send it out to you, I have scanned them to pdf for some of the people I work with and can email it to you if you want.

Any questions you need help with just send me a pm and I'd be happy to lend you a hand.

James.

16. antsrealm

antsrealm New Member

Private College

I am awaiting my capstone test now. There is a 6 month waiting list and I can't afford to wait that long. Does anyone know of private tafes or colleges or something where i can pay to get this final test done ?? Thanks.

17. heller44

heller44 Member

CCI Kwinana.. but if your HR gumby pushes a bit you should be able to get in earlier anyway. I was advised for april originally..

18. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

For those who have done the capstone, can you please give me an idea of what's tested? :)

First week back at tafe this week. Got a list of all modules to be completed last week and it doesn't look too bad but I am rusty as all fuck so i'll need to be on the ball.

19. LEGEND

LEGEND Member

i remember years ago they had a capstone module book maybe buy that and do all the practice questions.

20. OP
    OP
    PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

just an update, I been liasing with Tafe, work and Aprenticentre and now they have 14 days to book me in for a NON-sceduled capstone.

So persistance paid off, dont let them walk over you.

Now i just need to study, scary...