1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Capstone

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PimpuSMaximuS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Famous last words... :Paranoid:

By the skin of my teeth!

2. mutkin

mutkin New Member

Capstone

Hey man,
    I have a pdf of review questions if u want them,
    leave ya email address or email me,, mutkin@cirruscomms.com.au

3. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

It's all good, i got the last paper as well as the three papers prior!
    Didn't help me though!

The test we had was the hardest one ever sat from what the HT said..

But I passed with 57%!!! Pass is a pass :D

Prac assessment is week after next :thumbup:

4. mutkin

mutkin New Member

Capstone

At Ashmore Tafe QLD they tell us you have to get 80% to pass the theory, is that wrong, I hope so!
    Tell me what some of the questions where on PLEASE

Davo

5. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

I'll scan the past paper for you if you wish?

There were a fair few questions on fault loop impedance, which I like. There were three max demand questions, one single factory, one multi residential and one multi factory.

6. brembo

brembo Member

Send a copy this way if you can, I've got the tests to do in 6 months or so. Hopefully the tutes they run in the lead up help, I havent been to tafe for near on 16 months!

7. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Theory tuts are useless unless you ask a lot of questions I found..

I'll scan the tests at work on tues into pdf's and host them for you guys :)

8. Krystal Little

Krystal Little New Member

capstone questions

Hi James could you please send me a copy of the capstone test as i will be sitting it later this month and would like to get my head around the test beforehand.

9. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

Shyte forgot to upload this..! Will scan on Monday :)

Prac is easy.. if you can't pass you shouldn't be doing it ;)

I have a cert of competancy now and my tafe certificate too..
    All I need now is a sparkie to sign my referee statement and i'm licenced :thumbup:

10. pulsejet01

pulsejet01 New Member

capstone

If anyone could pass on any indepth info including past/present capstones it would be great!
    I'm doing the stress out before the exam thing (I start tuesday next week)

Thanks,
    Ben

11. Kyl3

Kyl3 Member

As above :)

Also, your tafe campus bookshop should have past papers available for purchase? Mine did @ $5 for 3 papers!

It's not as hard as you think, just expect minimum of 2 max demand questions (usually multiple domestic and factory units) Plenty of FLI calcs too!

12. pulsejet01

pulsejet01 New Member

capstone

Well you would assume they would, but when I asked I was told otherwise. Mind you I'm completing my Tafe component via flexible delivery, thanks to a highly unorganised and totally incompetant s a r i n a r u s s o! Thanks for the help though.

13. herm

herm Member

Gday Mate,

I am doing my capstone test starting next week (QLD), and im freeking out because all the testing/prac is domestic, which i have never done any, not even a single day.

Could i please ask a huge favour, could i please recieve a copy of these, as i have this week to try to get my head around it all before starting my capstone on the 16th Nov

Also, what should i REALLY study up on AS3000, 3008, 3017, 3018, max demand, or fault loop, or volt drop, or current capacity, or domestic testing, or all pf it. ???? Any advice for someone such as myself, that hasnt dont any domestic at all, and never even looked inside a domestic switchboard. cheers

Kyl3 .... i sent you a PM with me email address in it, but dunno if it worked, i will retry later.

Cheers for your help

Matt.

14. pulsejet01

pulsejet01 New Member

capstone

Matt,
    I've spoken to a few people at work who have sat their's (QLD) recently and they said to look at the energex website and download the "electricity connection and metering manual" I've done this and it is pretty good but I also got hold of the 3017 which I think is better as it has the test sequences and also if you can get hold of a booklet that Department of mines and energy have put out "installation procedures for safety switches- RCD's" is very comprehensive for multipole rcd's and rcdmcb's, particulalry for domestic installs.

Ben

15. broadbent30

broadbent30 New Member

Test Questions?

So i got my capstone next week and i am sorry to bump the thread but better then starting a new one.

My question is in regards to the appliance testing, i have a paper that is meant to closely minic the capstones exam paper for testing but im a little stuck on the earthing side of it.

All of the hand-held appliances i have around the home are double insulated and either don't have an earth pin of have one that you cannot test to a metallic part of the appliance due to it not being connected in the appliance.

So does this mean when the paper says "Earth Continuity Result" i am meant too write "NA the appliance is double insulated"?

Also can any one shred some light on the general knowledge exam i feel confident but don't really know what to expect in it?

Many Thanks
    Michael

16. Markwid

Markwid Member

Online capstone site

**DELETED**

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  17. heller44

heller44 Member

quote from that website:

"The Capstone course will test you knowledge, its designed to simulate the electrical mechacics final theory test."

hmmm....

TEDROS likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    PimpuSMaximuS

PimpuSMaximuS Member

Hey fellas, wow its been a while since I opened this thread. reading through I remember how lost I was.

a word of advice to all you app sparks.. YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!!!!

If you are half switched on its an easy test, I studied for a full week thinking it was going to be every thing in there... I was mistaken, it is purly a DOMESTIC theory and instalation.

Theory consisted of basic knowledge which should come naturally to you by now (core colours Act/Neu/Erth etc...) plus abit of math. Then there was the Max demand and volt drop (study req!)

You have to do a max demand/volt drop/cable selection/CB selection of a domestic instalation, also a small complex installation (like a block of villas 5-6).
    A few example questions in your study would be VERY handy, the more you do the easier you will fly through this part.

If you split it into 2 parts... getting demand correct, then working out cable properly you should be fine. DOUBLE CHECK DOUBLE CHECK...!!!!!

I found this the hardest part of my test both theory and practical (mainly due to not doing examples, so learn from my mistake :)

Practical 2 parts, testing appliances like toasters/water boilers/motors (single and 3 phase)

What your looking for is open circuits/shorts/down to earth/continuity/earthing/polarity and any other obvious problems i have left out.

Wiring switchboard - If you dont know this practise, cant really tell you how to wire a switch board it just comes with practise... read rule book.

Been tradey now for a year, first job outa trade abit daunting, but was piece of piss... GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

Any questions please PM me, ill try help best I can!

19. money_killer

money_killer Member

it is easy u will pass i did not even study or revise for it and passed no drama's its all a big wank.

aaron

20. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

Does anyone want to get rid of their Electrotechnology practice and principal books by Jeffery Hampson? Please let me know ASAP.