1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Capstone

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PimpuSMaximuS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

In WA there's 2 places I know of who do the course. CSTA and CET. Cost of the course $2,100. What a rip off! It's 4 modules which takes 2 weeks. It doesn't matter if you've just finished your apprenticeship, you still have to do the full course. I've done business management at the Tafe and CSTA and CETsaid they will still charge the full fee to do recognition of prior learning.

As for hazardous locations, I haven't read the regs yet. Good to know as I may get a job in a hazardous area. One never knows.....:)

2. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

3. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers (Banned or Deleted)

stupid game is stupid.... even more so without knowing calibration. idiot.

4. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

Doing my Capstone next week

I do hope the theory is multiple choice....so much to re-call and my brain is saturated :eek: Not sure what to expect with the prac though. Do we have to wire up motors? Star delta systems? 3 phase transformers in star delta config?

5. heller44

heller44 Member

Taking the piss? Its housebashing.. Db, couple of oulets lights etc..

6. GazzaH

GazzaH New Member

Capstone Assessment

Wondering if anyone can tell me if you fail one section of capstone eg practical and pass the other eg theory do you have to redo the section you passed when you resit.

7. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

Capstone not that bad

Passed mine 2 weeks ago :D so I'm on the road to being self employed after doing the contractors license. If I can do it (being a female) you can do it. To answer your question, you only re-do what you fail. If you fail again then you must go back to class to redo the module. Good luck.......Susan

8. darren42

darren42 Member

a good tip is to use tags to mark the important clauses in AS3000, this saves you a lot of time when doing the theory test since you don't have to go trawling through the index page.

don't rush when doing the practical, think about what you have to do first. Especially when you have to demonstrate the correct testing proceedures

From what i can remember from my capstone test 3 years ago

Theory

* Multiple Choice
    * Write down the revelant clauses and clause numbers
    * Calculations on maximum demand, etc

Practical

* wire up a complete switchboard including the men link, main earth and equipotential bond; then install a few circuits
    * demonstrate the correct testing proceedure, i.e. polarity, insulation resistance, etc
    * identify a fault on a cable using only a multimeter and insulation resistance tester
    * reverse a three-phase motor

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  9. spartan100633

spartan100633 New Member

Hey guys,
    New to overclockers. In perth WA.
    Elec apprentice about to sit my capstone exam in start of october and because of a paper fault i had to do some extra time so its been over 3 years out of the books and looking for someone to go over the books and/or tutor me?
    Confident 90% just need someone to tell me im on the right track basically.
    Happy to pay fees.
    Give me a message as i am starting to stress a bit, even though i guess im probably stressing over nothing :p

Cheers in advance guys.

10. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

Spartan did you get help yet for your Capstone

Did you get help yet for your Capstone? Send me an e-mail if you need help ephraimindustries@gmail.com :)

11. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

If you fail any section, you have to resit the whole thing. Many tafe's you don't progress if you fail a section. It's also only valid for 6 months.

Just passed mine last week. It has been a colossal fuckaround through the entire process. The tafe's, eprofiling, and other "finger in the pie" agencies are borderline incompetent. I really pity anyone in central/nth Queensland taking up the trade at the moment, truly colossal upheaval of the system is needed.

No doubt the eso will now have a comet hit it while my application is being processed, but fingers crossed!

12. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Holy crap [SweN], has it been 4 years already? :shock:

13. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

Nope, it hasnt been 4 years....

14. e1ectr1c

e1ectr1c Member

NSW is the same, i finished mine a year and a half ago

the way that TAFE deals with things is absolute rubbish
    glad i passed all mine without any problems

did you have to do the work diaries?

15. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Mine was reasonably straight forward in WA when I did it late last year. The only real issue was that my booking was short by the required 3yr/9mnth by a matter of days and wasn't informed of this until the last minute - but was fixed with an early sign off form. Considering the general hopelessness of the TAFE system it was pretty easy going.

What came of a real shock was all the lads who did their time house bashing, yet couldn't wire up a bloody house! Also about half the guys failed on testing a motor, I mean come on. *shakes head*

16. spartan100633

spartan100633 New Member

17. darren42

darren42 Member

That's quite a lot of people failing for one year :shock:. There are usually a small number of people who fail each year but I never heard of half of those tested failing. It is not like TAFE doesn't teach you how to do those things while you are studying.

18. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

I spoke to an electrician who when through a couple of years ago. Out of a class of 20, 18 of them failed.

They were either -

1. All deadshits
    2. Had poor training
    3. The test is too hard

I'm guessing a combination of 1 and 2.

19. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

The test is not too hard. The training and examination that comes before it is rubbish. Most of the teachers are rubbish, the course is in a disgusting level of flux at the moment. You would be hard pressed to find a single individual in the entire training system that truly understands what is required as part of the training package, and as it changes every few months, the people that have just been through it can't even give a heads up to anyone about to suffer the system because of it.

The QLD TAFE's are under instruction to collaborate, but don't. They are supposed to work to improve the system, but spend the entire time accusig each other of doing it wrong. You should be able to transfer between TAFE's based on student load, but you shouldn't becase no one is teaching to the same curriculum. TAFE's even think it is within their right to fail to provide training within acceptable time frames.

It will be interesting to see how the next few years pan out due to the funding changes that have taken place.

The only way to get through is to get on top of your own paperwork, be responsible for your own training bookings yourself, and to understand what is required to get through yourself. Do not expect anyone to help you, and don't expect it to be the well organized system it should be. There is a very good reason for the skills shortage, and it is the education system that is responsible.

20. brembo

brembo Member

Put off doing this test for way too long (go apathy!) I could've done it a year ago. I havent set foot in a tafe classroom since 2008 (finished tafe in my 2nd year) but sailed through the theory test, now comes the prac tomorrow, from the tute tonight it doesn't seem too difficult (I hope!). I haven't seen a new/dead switchboard since 2009 so if I fudge it up, I get to do it again next week :p

Last edited: May 2, 2012