1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Capstone

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PimpuSMaximuS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. mittons

mittons Member

Same boat, need to do capstone asap.

Finishing up my role as a UPS tech, moving to general electrical maintenance/fitter for a large company.. Capstone is important now, but hasn't been on my mind for a while.

How would you go with the workplace evidence or the equivalent these days ?

2. brembo

brembo Member

Passed the prac exam, wasn't too hard in the end. Now to deal with a group training mob who's head is firmly placed up their own arses. Havent spoken with them apart from their 6 monthly "Have you done it yet? We want our government money..." (yes they actually said that). After that the Fair trading dept's red tape.

No idea, I have a shiny Craft Certificate for that, TAFE were nice enough to waive the Skills tracker part provided I had some letters and other stuff from my boss.

3. mittons

mittons Member

That's the odd part, I also was given my craft certificate ?

I suppose I could also get reference letters from employers and colleagues..

Cheers for reply.

4. brembo

brembo Member

I got out of the skills tracker part by TAFE making an exception, and then having the craft cert, letter, Skills tracker RPL form filled out by my boss etc. Normally they want 150 skills tracker forms online, and min 50 hard copies signed by a licenced supervisor.

5. mittons

mittons Member

Bringing it back from the dead, I have also finished the prac part of the Capstone assessment (last Wednesday), and need to sit the theory portion on the 20th.

Turns out this year it seems to be all in house (at least at St George TAFE).

Bit unlucky for timeframe, as the little woman is 37 weeks with a view to be induced this Thursday as a very strong possibility. Hopefully I will be able to sit it a little earlier if they grant me the option.

On topic, my question earlier to Brembo I think was in regards to proving that the appropriate experience has been gained. I have my craft cert, but I also needed to be enrolled into the new 17751 version of Cert III and have a letter or two from employers to state my role and responsibilities at work.

6. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Did my Capstone last week, didn't study very well as in not living at home at the moment and could not get my head in the right place. Hoping i get some good news about it today though :)

7. mittons

mittons Member

Best of luck matey!

8. brembo

brembo Member

Think I ended up getting 80% on my capstone theory, not a bad effort for not having set foot in a TAFE classroom for 4 years and only doing 1 past exam :leet:

9. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

Interesting. When i did mine it was 100% for theory AND practical, or fail, as no one could decide what it was "acceptable" to not understand / get wrong.

10. brembo

brembo Member

If anyone is able to get 100% in a 20 page, 3.5 hour theory test then they've an eidetic memory, or have lived a very boring life!

Practical test was Pass/Fail made up of 8 parts. If you pass 7 you only had to repeat the one you failed.

11. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Yeh my theory was 80% to 100% pass it was like 20 pages, multi maximum demands, multi transformer Fault currents, tonnes of mains selection in earths and neutrals, Ratings and de-ratings, ect. Took me aprox 3 hrs from the given 4 hrs.

But if I fail it will be the practical because I had to jump on the 3phase main with 3 phase sub board with milling machine first so I didn’t get to warm my brain up on a std house board.

12. mittons

mittons Member

I finally sat my theory on Tuesday, unfortubately this tied in with my partner and i heading to hospital Wednesday morning to be induced. Given that weight on my mind, my exam prep basically disintegrated.

Happily enough, i got the call an hour ago to advise i passed both the prac and theory well.

Now for our daughter to be born!

13. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

Does anyone have AS3000:2007 latest update?

Does anyone have the latest AS3000:2007 latest update Oct 2012?

14. KrisT

KrisT Member

Yeah, its on the work laptop though so cant get it till tonight.

15. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

I also would like the amendments if anyone has them on PDF or something.

16. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Australian standards are copyrighted material. Posting up links or copies of the documents will result in a ban.

17. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

Thats awesome, if only there was a way of sending some sort of private communication....

18. Tsaverite

Tsaverite Member

If I was still a student at Tafe then I could download them as part of the course material and not pay. Regards bseservices@gmail.com ;)

19. Thelimit

Thelimit New Member

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  20. darren42

darren42 Member

That is the only the Service and Installation Rules for NSW, not the AS3000:2007