1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Electrical Capstone

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by PimpuSMaximuS, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bergerac

bergerac Member

pretty sure you can download the amendments free from the australian standards site. At least you could when I did my capstone

2. Shood

Shood Member

has any one got a good site to download refresher papers etc from?

3. mittons

mittons Member

4. yeahbabi

yeahbabi Member

I just passed my capstone, FYI my tafe theory exam needs 75% to pass and the exam is on the computer not a written paper exam,

its similar to the rta tests, gives you random questions and everyone gets different questions.

not sure if this is across the board but its gonna be harder now for others in the future, now that the pass mark is higher(was told it was only 50% last year)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  5. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

constantly changes. mine was 100% to pass.

6. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

mine was 100% on theory and 100% on the practical 2 years ago in Tas

7. Shood

Shood Member

so ive just been given 2 weeks notice on sitting the capstone!
    im stressing!

8. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

I sat mine around October last year; 'twas easy enough but I'm fairly confident that it was a dumb-downed version of what a proper capstone should be. After one week of revision we got hit with nine or so paper tests (from memory - rule book, maximum demand, three phase & single phase motor theory, cable sizing, derating and volt drop, flz, calculating pISC etc - and some more which escape me right now) and two practicals (test an electrical installation - which was utterly fucked; the boards were deliberately wired on the piss by first year apprentices in another class - which sounds like fun but there were literally 50 faults in the install, I almost failed as I didn't identify an interconnected neutral but my instant reponse of "fuck it, the RCD will find it" got me over the line.) and identify visual issues with the above installation.

Personally, I believe the single phase motor theory test was the hardest of the lot.

Advice: follow 3017 word for word and you can't go wrong.

9. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

Interesting - what was difficult about it?

10. maddhatter

maddhatter Member

Not difficult, just the questions required the most thought process / time to work out.

Looking back I should have taken notes / cheat sheet... I can't recall any of the actual questions on the test.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  11. Kaes

Kaes New Member

Hey guys, im 3 years and 6 months into my apprenticeship and about to apply for the capstone, just getting all the paperwork sorted (skills-tracker, letter from employer etc) to give to tafe.

Can anyone tell me around what times they hold the capstone exams? Is it at the end of each semester? for eg. June/December?

Im just wondering as i would like to know if i applied now, it means i would have to wait another 6 months or so to sit the capstone, which is when i finish my time.

12. mittons

mittons Member

My apprentice just sat his Capstone test a couple of weeks ago, apparently they will do it by demand now. If there are enough students to they should run it ad hoc (possibly 4-5 minimum).

I would be more inclined to sort out the theory part, this will be the most difficult, the practical part is a breeze. When I did mine, I used the teacher as my customer and explained all steps of the process. Pls make sure you test for dead, ensuring that you test your DMM before and after.

If not, you will surely fail.

13. Kaes

Kaes New Member

Cheers mittons... Did you or your apprentice happen to go to Miller Tafe? Noticed you are from ingleburn. I live close by... lol

14. mittons

mittons Member

I'm local, apprentice is up woy woy

15. TEDROS

TEDROS Member

Hi mutkin,
    could you please send me the pdf documents as i am preparing my capstone exam this year .email tedecometal@yahoo.com

Much appreciated in advance .

cheers

16. TEDROS

TEDROS Member

hi mate could you please send me the pdf review questions ? email tedecometal@yahoo.com
    much appreciated in advance.

cheeers

17. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

you need to give this feedback to the education department, and possibly head of department at the TAFE in question. The system still seems quite broken to me, and just a continual cash grab.

18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I recently* got my efm ticket, no capstone required.
    4 years of tafe at 6 weeks a pop. I dont think I was ever stressed about any tests, prac or theory
    Completion of the apprenticeship was sitting in a room with four old crusty dudes who went through my log book, as they asked a few questions. Then they almost didnt give me the ticket as one of them felt i hadnt done enough live work.
    We had to go through the log book and find all the bits I'd underlined in red to indicate live work.
    Paid my $27 and got a ticket "for life"
    greatest fuckin trade of all lads :)

19. TEDROS

TEDROS Member

Hi Scalectrix,

Thanks for your time replying and your initiative on this issue . I would be glad if you send me the relavant past papers so as to read and review them .
    you can send me via my email tedecometal@yahoo.com

Much appreciate in advance mate

Regards

20. god of gunsparky

god of gunsparky New Member

If you want to practice for your capstone I recommend gunsparky.training It's lined up with the current training package, written by a current TAFE teacher who runs capstone, and has practice quizzes with feedback. and It's free. I don't know what else you could want.
    I am interested in the past papers that Scalectrix has just in case I've missed any.
    Thanks guys