Electromagnetic blackhole created in lab

Discussion in 'Science' started by bex, Oct 19, 2009.

1. bex

bex Member

2. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Two words: Military Application

3. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

hlokk, tell us why this is a fake (apart from the fact that it's in New Scientist).

4. OP
    OP
    bex

bex Member

huh??????????????

5. ShadowGeoff

ShadowGeoff Member

Its a device the traps particular electromagnetic frequencies (depending on how you build it) and makes them spiral towards a 'core' where they are absorbed and in this case turned to heat.

It could be said that in some ways it behaves like a black hole. It is not a black hole, which is why in the article they have quotation makrs around the "Black hole".

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

First of all, it's not a black hole. Did you spot the gravitational waves? No? The singularity? No? Neither did I. Secondly, it's in New Scientist, which is why electromagnetism is being confused with gravitational waves.

Though I suppose according to the Grand Unifying Theory it's all the same thing, the entire universe is one single vibrating string, we are all different frequencies in the great cosmic dance, and here's Mike with the weather. hlokk can explain that one as well.

7. Nvidiot

Nvidiot Member

Way to listen to Tool too much.

I seriously doubt, and I got no indication from that article to that effect, that they "confused" electromagnetism with gravitational waves. They are using a sensational title to make the article look perhaps more dangerous than it is, but it certainly is a description of an "electromagnetic black hole", and not a gravitational one. There are useful potential results for physics and practical applications.

At the moment it's microwaves, but in the end all electromagnetic energy is the same it's just different wavelengths which give it the particular properties. They state they can likely make a version for visible light or perhaps some of the nearer wavelengths which would have some very interesting uses. A perfect light capture device, if it could be made to work with sunlight as they imply near the end, would make solar energy significantly more efficient in a single stroke.

You have a bad day or something Forti? You seem a bit more sarcastic in this eves posts than usual... An atheist nearly convert you? :lol::p

8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said 'confused'. It was a play on the fact that New Scientist is known here for sensationalist titles and for simple blunders in matters of fact.

Ta da!

Nah, long day but not a bad one. I'm just feeling a little less tolerant of nonsense than usual, and today on the forums has been an overdose of nonsense. Not a good combination with which to start the week. :p

9. Nvidiot

Nvidiot Member

Meh, they're a science news tabloid. I don't expect in depth and reasoned articles with peer review.

I like to think of them as the "SMH" of Science Journalism. :lol:

Have a cup of tea. Good for ya.

*looks for article on spectacular powers of tea to bend space-time in New Scientist*

10. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

Mmm, probably close enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. Just finished a Lipton's Yellow Label, but wouldn't say no to another. This SQL assignment will have to wait another day (annoying virtual machine I have to use to access the uni VPN isn't helping).

:lol:

11. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    If you really mean tabloid, that would be the Daily Telegraph of Science Journalism. The SMH is a broadsheet. :weirdo:

12. csimpson

csimpson Member

Tsk, Tom does the weather.

You do put forward a good point. There are plenty of pop-sci publications that fail to represent the proper science behind a lot of subjects - unfortunately it's seen as catering to their demographic. I know your pain - I work for a technology publication and although we cater to a relatively switched-on (ha) demographic, there is a lot we have to glaze over at the expense of accuracy and detail.

Maybe he means the equivalent of the SMH Web team :)

13. Oosh

Oosh Member

Indeed. Coat the underside of your plane with this gear, channel the heat to diffusers up top, and microwave radar be damned!

Millimetre-wave radar is a different kettle of fish, but it's a lot closer in frequency than visible light, which is a hell of a big leap (or hell of a small one depending on how you look at it).

14. Autti

Autti Member

The military probably have this already, that or they stole harry potters invisibility cloak and stretched it a bit.

15. OP
    OP
    bex

bex Member

All in all, its a great invention/discovery

Space craft can possibly get more power and do more stuff.

Vehicles, planes, ships that are invisible to radar already exist meh. If it works with visible light, it will appear black. If its black, we can easily tell there is a military thing over there. Quick!! shoot at it.

16. Nitephyre

Nitephyre Member

Wow, cool article :)

Jesus H. Christ Fortigurn, you REALLY need to get off that high horse of yours about life, the universe and everything PLUS your seemingly nonsensical hatred of hlokk.

Seriously, it's gotten old LONG ago :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  17. OP
    OP
    bex

bex Member

what is hlokk? I am really missing something

found a user hlokk, and he/she is currently viewing this thread, I wonder if he/she will post

edit:

Also tried to look for papers on this but dont know what to type into the search.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  18. hlokk

hlokk Member

Probably not

19. Arbite

Arbite Member

Interesting Article, though the title is somewhat sensationalist. Could see great uses if they could produce enough heat to boil water and possible make a generator out of it, would be very useful for space based power generators.

20. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I don't have any such high horse, and hlokk is one of my favourite members here. I wasn't being sarcastic when I said he could explain it. He's far more knowledgeable on such subjects than I am, and he has a gift for explaining them, except when he tries to use analogies ('Imagine the universe is an enormous rubber chicken...').