Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. steveobhave

steveobhave Member

This is the long awaited 'semi' commitment from David Braben and Frontier to bring Elite 4, called Elite: Dangerous to fruition in the form of a Kickstarter proposal. It's been bouncing around for many many years in one form or another but now DB has decided to take a punt at it. I for one hope that he is successful. I've put together as much of the info as we have at this point. It costs nothing to pledge unless it is successful so as they say 'nothing ventured nothing gained'. There is a video on the Kickstarter page and the proposal is running at around £400,000 for about a week in.

[​IMG]

Elite: Dangerous home page: http://elite.frontier.co.uk/
    Kickstarter Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous
    Kicktraq trending link: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous/#chart-exp-trend

Update with Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Some screen captures from the Kickstarter video because I think that they're worth looking at.

The damage modeling on the Anaconda looks awesome:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An unnamed ship that has a great interior structure shot that looks for all the world like it's designed to be explored (fingers crossed). Possibly a Python?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some other very nice artwork - cabin interior and a close up of the asteroid base with a couple of Vipers flying by.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2012
  2. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  3. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

I've "Remind Me" tagged it for the present.

Bothers me a bit that there is no video up - I know David Braben is not the most exciting person but it would have been good to see a few minutes of nicely edited footage of same of the game systems and protypes.

I lost months of my life to this on the BBC micro back in the early 80's and loved it.

But $2mill is a lot to ask.

Hope it gets up.

Fun Ha!

4. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

£288,443 in just over a day, if that continues then it'll make it easily

5. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Crappy search.

Pledged instantly :)

6. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Where have I heard this game before?...oh that's right, it's in my bookcase :leet:
    [​IMG]

I'll have to wait till next week when pay goes through and donate the shit out of this.

7. groopa

groopa Member

Thanks for the heads up!

Fond memories of the original elite on the C64 and then the frontier sequels on the Amiga 500.

Much enjoyment had out of the series and certainly a genre defining title!
    Have pledged and hopefully it makes the goal!

And I noticed on the screentshots that something has been named the Danube so I'm guessing (hoping) more classical music when docking! :thumbup: (real pilots don't use auto dock!)

8. dogthinker

dogthinker Member

Oh wow, I remember using that ship chart, nice one :D

I'm really cynical about backing projects with long dev times... But... It's Elite... I even loved the barely-playable mess that was Elite III (hopefully this will work out better...) :thumbup:

9. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

Merged the threads and cleaned them up.

Next time, Steve, just edit your old post mate.

10. OP
    OP
    steveobhave

steveobhave Member

Appreciate it. Totally my bad - I'm used to forum software not allowing headers for threads to be changed and I thought it deserved a title more on the nose. Next time I'll ping a message to a mod.

11. OP
    OP
    steveobhave

steveobhave Member

New video up explaining procedural generation and how it relates to the Elite games and some rather nice ideas of how it will/might apply to Elite: Dangerous.

Also a bit more on the concept art front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. sulrich

sulrich Member

Impressive pic. You even have a mail in card! Awesome.

13. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

I'm still on the fence with this. Played the first and second to death on the Amiga.

Freelancer was good for the story + every star system was unique, nice graphics and mystery from what I recall. Eve holds no interest, so I'm mostly ignorant of the neckbeard rage this game has.

Probably the most recent, relevant game I've played is Drug Wars - Underworld. It's fun at first to sus out the game dynamics but once the grind sets in...

14. sulrich

sulrich Member

I am hoping that if the kickstarter gets up, David Braben will be able to make the game he wants to make. I think there is alot of truth in what he is saying about publishers, and I think some of the probs with Elite FE was due to pressures from publishers.

I believe the guy is full of original imagination and ideas, and I really hope this game goes through.

Ambitious goal, in USD it would have a better chance.

Though there seems to be a level of confidence that it will get over the line.

I hope it does. Price for digital copy seems reasonable.

15. OP
    OP
    steveobhave

steveobhave Member

Two days to go on this. The KS is sitting at £1,171,879 - It looks pretty good for making it!

16. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Isn't there a very similar game on kick starter already with massive following?

17. k1ll3r

k1ll3r Member

18. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Very similar??? Same genre but I'm expecting both games to be quite different.

19. Crosspeen

Crosspeen Member

The trend site suggests that its going to just fall short. But I still put a little toward it, so I still hope it makes it!

20. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

Successfully funded