1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Frag

Frag Member

Lol, thats all of ED.. 10 miles wide but only 3cm deep.. Half way through engineering it now, just need to do the plasmas and rails and pew pew :p just realised I have to re-unlock alioth as somehow I have fallen out of favor :p

2. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah. Guilty. I have a fleet of Anacondas, a fleet of Asps, and a fleet of Vultures. Asps have become my go to taxi in the bubble, with a well engineered Vulture sitting in just about every corner of the bubble, ready to pew pew... I never managed to get along with the FdL.

Z...

3. Zee

Zee Member

Would be 6048 were I able to get back in to the game...

Enjoying the Witcher 3 too much (only a 256GB HDD), and my Throttle and grip for my Virpil both appear to be on the other side of the planet...

Z...

GregDude likes this.
  4. metalrain

metalrain Member

Anyone here running dual Virpil Constellation Alphas for this game? Looking at finally get a nice pair of sticks. It's either them or go for a pair of older MongoosT-50's on the MongoosT-50 bases.

Price difference between the two is going to be about nearly +$600 for the two Alphas :Paranoid:

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I prefer hotas with throttle myself, dual-sticks may work better with full 6-degree freedom flight model - but Elite (and most all other sims) put a lot more emphasis on the rear engines doing 90% of the work. Technically this isn't realistic for space but it's more relatable for most people, especially when transitioning from atmospheric to space in the same game. (Probably why Star Citizen abandoned it's more realistic flight model recently).

Nethiuz likes this.
  6. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Agree on HOTUS over dual stick for all of these games, Star Citizen is also re-doing the entire atmospheric flight model, in whatever year. :p
    Also using a lot of flight sim's so duel stick seems silly, but honestly for ED it works very well with throttle. Most HOTUS throttles have plenty of axis hats and seesaws you can use for the little manoeuvre thrusters.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

Hmmm okay I get that HOTAS is probably the way to go then, so how important is twist axis (Z?)? Like I could spend a little bit more for a VPC Constellation Alpha instead of getting pedals?

8. MoonSha

MoonSha Member

You need to be able to yaw to play the game.

9. GregDude

GregDude Member

Most HOTAS players enjoy twist stick for ED for the yaw.
    I think it's more convenient than pedals due to its nature.
    I use rudder pedals to accell, decell and brake on the SRV (planet driving vehicle). That works nicely as it has quite a lot of controls.

10. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Very important, unless you want to buy a set of bulky pedals.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  11. metalrain

metalrain Member

Nethiuz likes this.
  12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

None of those links load a page for me, but a google shows that's a pretty solid setup.

13. GregDude

GregDude Member

That is top kit and will provide a great ED experience. The only step up is really building a sim pit.
    If you play flight sims other than ED, consider adding rudder pedals from VPC or VKB.
    MS Flight Sim is returning soon and DCS World is pretty impressive these days for some jet and chopper action.

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

15. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yeah that's the only worry. I could be sitting on a pre-order for months before it's fulfilled, worse, something better could pop up in the mean time. I honestly am considering a TM Warthog that's on a heavy discount for now and I'll pawn it off once the VPC stuff gets here.

16. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

+1 highly recommend the VKB metal pedals.

17. metalrain

metalrain Member

Okay next question, I'm actually looking at chair mounting these as I barely have any room on my desk. Do you guys have a recommendation for a chair? Currently have cheap Ikea one that doesn't have any arm rests I could mount them to :tired:

18. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Can't speak for chair mounting but these are damn awesome. https://www.monstertech.de/en/product/joystick-hotas-table-mount/
    I prefer table mounted, so moving my chair doesn't rip cables apart and you can set perfect heights etc. If not your cup of tea all good just a suggestion.

19. metalrain

metalrain Member

Yep, already had a look at the Monster Tech mounting system. Seems like they cater to the most popular "gaming chairs", but I actually prefer one that is suited more for comfort for than anything else. I've been recommended something from Ergohuman, but yeesh, they're getting up there in the price bracket. I'll be spending nearly $2,000+ at this point for a 6 year old game :eek:

Nethiuz likes this.
  20. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

That chair is pretty awesome.

You wont find any cheap mounts anywhere, chair or desk, they are damn expensive!
    Best bet is to check out DIY setups on YouTube and around Reddit, then hit Bunnings, you can make some pretty decent ones.