Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Odyssey Expansion Dev Diary Update 1:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...road-to-odyssey-part-1-one-giant-leap.552892/

The first in a series of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey dev diaries One Giant Leap explores how commanders can experience light atmospheres and break new ground with exploration on foot for the first time.

- New exploration content on foot
    - New combat, missions and social hubs on foot
    - Planetary development and details
    - Light atmospheres and flora

Dev Stream/Interview here including a part with Braben.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  2. Nerb

Nerb Member

Thats great, but did they add any gameplay yet? Or still just an empty galaxy?
    This game could be so good if it had a dynamic campaign where you track down your nemesis or something. Trade clues, buy information, kill spies... all towards a goal. But instead... make money, buy bigger ship.

3. bart5986

bart5986 Member

It will never change from this. All their expansions are just variations on repetitive grinding to get the latest shiny thing.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Sounds like most MMOs to me?
    You guys need to find more online friends to play with.

5. bart5986

bart5986 Member

In most MMO's I expect quests, friendly NPC's, voice acting, Raids, PVP, and basically just things that are created by someone.

To compare it to other MMO's, Elite Dangerous would be like if you took a building and an outside area from the start of WoW, copied it 100,000 times and then applied randomised colours. There would just be three quests that have the text generated by an algorithm, and they would be then copied to those 100,000 areas.

Elite dangerous is unique in this regard, I don't think there are other games using similar ideas to create an "MMO"

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Elite has Quests, Friendly NPCs, Voice Acting and Open or Arena based PVP - also Exploration, Mining, Trading, Piracy, Smuggling, Community Events, Faction Wars, Player Housing, it goes on.. also VR.

Yes, a lot of Elite is algorithmically generated (based on real science) but there is a lot of hand-crafted locations as well. Crash Sites, Alien Bases, Generation Ships, Outposts, Engineers, Ancient Ruins, Installations, Shipwrecks, etc many with voice acting, lore, backstory or rewards to discover. It's a sandbox MMO not a hand-holding / theme park quest-lines one.

Elite now has guilds for in-game community play and group quests, but no Raids (yet?). The recent addition of cross-platform chat and carrier gameplay with consoles has also boosted the social scene, especially in high-traffic areas. This new expansion looks to improve on that with FPS gameplay and social hubs for joining co-op missions, etc - similar to NMS.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Galnet has returned, Community Goals are making a comeback.
    Frontier have written a story arc for Elite that will extend into 2022, and seasonal as well as bonus events are about to become a thing.

8. Zee

Zee Member

Interesting. Really need to get myself a another SSD (have run out of space with work apps, and something had to give). Need to get back in to this a bit.

When was the last time you played it? It's come a long way from launch, and whilst hardly perfect, it's an open world spaceship game that is actually playable, and in full swing.

I want SC to succeed, I really do, but at this rate, my kids, my grandkids will be playing the BETA version on my sim pit some time in the 2050's...

As I said, ED is certainly far from perfect, but they did well getting the flight model right, in that "arcade but Newtonian" sweet spot, and I still love flying the ships. For me, that's the most important part, I need to want to fly the ship - just landing and taking off needs to be enjoyable, and require a level of skill. both boxes checked.

Z...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  9. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Y'all trying to tell bart things, you'd sooner get through to my 4 week old child than you would to him. He is a bot programmed to kiss Chris Roberts arse and not much else.

I am kinda sad I forgot to buy this when it was cheap on chrono.gg a few weeks back tbh.

Frag and Zee like this.
  10. bart5986

bart5986 Member

I played earlier this year due to someone in this forum mentioning that PVP does in fact still exist, i went to the location specified, flew around for 30 minutes as well as nearby areas and it was completely dead, not a player in sight.

I did check out what was new, and not much was new.

I agree, the flight model, combat and atmosphere is perfect, which no other game has come close to. Unfortunately they seem to have changed plans for the game at some point and focused purely on the PVE grind.

I would honestly be happy with PVE with a raid system, at least then you could get your friends together and fight some enemies, and maybe a boss.

My experiences with getting friends together is everyone getting annoyed because nothing has happened for the past hour, or trying literally anything available and finding the lack of reward makes everyone want to stop playing.

One day a long long time ago when PVP actually happened, we did have fun both chasing, and being chased by other players, and the crazy heart pumping battles we had due to only having just enough money for one insurance payment. At a certain point it all just died for some reason, I have no idea why.

I honestly regret buying ED, I purchased it based on future claims they made, as well as by the community, I grinded so many hours hoping to find what I was looking for, and at times getting a glimpse of what I wanted, but ultimately I was left disappointed and wanting a real space MMO so badly. If I never purchased ED I would probably never know that it could be possible.

Its really disappointing because I think I'm watching 4-5 MMO space games at the moment hoping one of them actually works as originally intended.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Zee likes this.
  11. warrenr

warrenr Member

setup my MFDs, 3d printed some holders and installed some cheapo small LCDs via displaylink (they come up as external screens, so setting a background to remind me what the buttons is a simple job)
    running a browser in one atm and the tradcomputer (super tiny though, so a little bit of work to fix that in order)
    Ideally I'd still like to have the 3d galaxy map (or equivalent) showing, would be super cool!
    Got the J-Piens delivered this week so they're all mounted up and a quick clamp to move out the way too :)
    Next step, get the 3dconnexion working under emulation as a 360controller for galaxy navigation!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Duff Man, Pinkeh, GregDude and 3 others like this.
  12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Road to Odyssey Part 2 - Forging Your Path
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...d-to-odyssey-part-2-forging-your-path.555410/

Take a closer look at how Elite Dangerous: Odyssey introduces a new approach to missions, station interiors, different spacesuits and more in our second dev diary, 'Forging Your Path'

DLC RELEASE DATE: Early 2021
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1336350/Elite_Dangerous_Odyssey/

Elite Dangerous is going to be more Star Citizen before Star Citizen is even Star Citizen :lol:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Leading up to the next Elite expansion soon, the previous Horizons Expansion content is now free/included with the base game (if you never got it).

14. FuzwaldQO

FuzwaldQO Member

Makes sense to have everyone on the same baseline to not have to try and optimise the new expansion for both.

15. Frag

Frag Member

OMFG - you regret buying ED yet probably spent 100's of hours playing, yet you defend the big ponzi scheme that is SC at every turn. No 1+1 does not equal a window! .

ED was and was always going to be Frontier at its core - they have added and added and added, yet the whole time there has been a working game and one that you can literally spend 1000's of hours playing and enjoying. Sure I get it some people need an arrow on a compass to have fun, well ED doesn't do that so I get why young kids dont like it.. but you're literally in space capable of pretty much doing anything you want. You may need some imagination on your part which is the difficult thing for gamers.. I dunno maybe growing up playing frogger, pong, burgertime has allowed me to still retain some imagination whilst playing games :p

Yes its far from perfect but as was said above so much has been added on, and so much more is still being added.

Now after saying that I certainly agree about the PvP business, ED community unfortunately became care bears - but thats a direct result of the Dev team having their head in the sand (and still do). All they need to do is take away the massive rebuy/incidental costs when you're killed by player, and have a working bounty system on said aggressive players.. sigh, I still shake my head how conceptually easy this would be if done properly. I realise they have a semi bounty system but its such an afterthought that it does noting except serve as a score card.

Anyway ED will continue to grow, I certainly know I come back to it every so often spend a month or two playing, grind myself into insanity (ie engineer a ship or two) and give up for awhile.

EDIT: I must say that watching the video by the Dev team makes me think that these guys get excited having a slice of lemon in their tea.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

a 1% chance of having SC being finished is better then the 0% chance of Elite Dangerous being anything else but a huge grind in an empty, dead world.

Plenty of other space games in the making as well that aren't completely dead like Elite Dangerous is.

If your standards are simply grinding for 1000 hours, then yes... that wasn't what ED originally was or was intended to be.

If you take a game with nothing at all but a huge grind, and then add more grind elements, what do you get?

A game full of grind and nothing else.

I rest my case.

------

Elite Dangerous can never be the next big thing because they are a 100% peer to peer game (no actual servers).

Its also heavily flawed for a long list of reasons that we really don't need to go into again here.

17. Frag

Frag Member

Pretty much all these games are grinding, there is a lot there for players to do - you don't have to grind unfortunately Im the type of player that will always strive for a perfect build which means engineering which means grinding. But you can certainly do a lot of things without that.. you dont need to have any of that and just enjoy space combat, missions, mining, being a pirate or trading.. some people love being a slave trader. A

Never suggested it will be the next big thing, said its a playable and fun game that has plenty to offer for many types of players. And yes I realise its Peer to Peer- still you can have a decent amount of players in your instance as can be seen during decent community goals. Anyway I am not trying to convince you to like something you dont, however you make it sound like trash when its far from that. Heck maybe in 10 years we will have SC released that could provide some alternates that are decent because at the moment I still think ED is the best we have in this genre.

Duff Man likes this.
  18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Just ignore the bartman, he doesn't appreciate the fact that players can spend 1000s of hours in a completed and updating game however they want.
    Player numbers are still solid in Steam too, considering the "dead game" has been out for 6 years now: https://steamcharts.com/app/359320#3m

And, don't forget the Community Goals with mates: :leet:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Frag likes this.
  19. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If you think all games are grinding, I feel sorry for you.

In other games, you might grind to level up or get a specific item to maybe beat a specific boss or an area. In Elite Dangerous, the game starts off as a grind, and never changes.

Space combat is a grind without proper AI enemies
    Missions are a grind because they are not proper missions, just repetitive computer generated missions.
    Mining is a grind (obviously)
    Being a pirate is a grind because there is no real players or worthy AI players, so you just take stuff from A to B, a grind.
    Trading is a grind, taking stuff from A to B forever.

Its a grinding game, if thats what you want, sure. Almost every single other game offers a lot more then this.

Obviously you are trying to convince me of something because you quoted an old post just to state your opinion.

You do realise he specifically quoted an old post and started this discussion right?

Players can spend 1000s of hours grinding, and then doing more grinding when the updates come out. Fleet carriers is proof of this.

Your "steam" numbers mean nothing when the actual public game is dead and there are no players to meet.

I already busted your myths about this game having actual players, I installed the game, specifically went to places specified and saw nobody at all. Besides the fact that its common knowledge that its been years since Elite Dangerous has had players you can meet besides maybe running into them at community missions where they are all only interested in the grind. I've also spent the last 50 hours in Elite Dangerous never meeting another person. The last time I saw a player was when community missions paid huge $$$, which they nerfed obviously because it stops the grind.

I'm not the one bringing this discussion up, but I'm happy to talk about it.

And to be clear I'm not intending to shit on the game you guys like to play, I still like Elite Dangerous for the atmosphere and combat mechanics which meshes so well in VR.

The problem is that those good parts were there in day 1, and every update since has been a departure from what all the original players wanted.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  20. Frag

Frag Member

Every other game has same end game mechanics - ED could probably do with a SP campaign that revolves around Empire/Feds/Neutral pathways however they just throw you at end game right away. Let me think out of every game I play and liked all have the same loop in the end.. do stuff to get better stuff. Again, I agree ED can do a lot better in this regard but the skeleton is there and fun to play. As I said you just need some imagination. Combat is much improved with the latest patches, NPC's are certainly more deadly .. and if you want more of a challenge thats entirely your choice with the ship you choose.. I mean flying a Viper/Eagle makes combat very challenging :)

Ultimate challenge and engaging space combat - Thargoid hunting.. now that can soak up 100's of hours on its own, super fun whether alone of with friends. Yes it is locked behind the most tedious grind in history and yes its usually what burns me out, I'm honest about that. I have 3 fully engineered Thargoid ships and I'd hate to know how many hours they took to fully engineer & fit out with the requisite weps (Krait II, FAS, Cutter) .. It is the ultimate end game activity so they did lock it behind a rather thick grind wall.

Sorry I didnt realise I quoted from so long ago, almost every thread I have been following (RDNA2/AMD CPU's etc) been pages every day so going back a page or two is natural.

Thats not the case at all, there are a lot of players .. unfortunately we are in the least populated timezone in the world (for this game) so you have to know where to look.. If you have access to Shinrarta Dezhra system you can have all the PvP fun you want in open (need Elite ranking at access in one thing). Also you do have the PvP only part of the game which is now quite painless, ie queue while playing open world and then jump into the PvP game and go gang busters.. Though the frustrating part is you cant bring your ships across which is another obvious improvement..

It sounds like you are, I have probably 1500hrs in ED which has spanned from the day to release to now. I tend to play it for a 4-6 weeks solid ever year in last few years - I have headtracking and a decent HOTAS so the game is super immersive and really makes everything even more fun. But yes admittedly I usually exhaust the new content added, add a couple fully engineered ships to my line up and put the game down not in frustration but in the knowledge that when I return in whatever time there will be plenty more for me to do whether fly new ships, have a new activity or new type of missions etc.

IMO ED delivered on what I wanted at its core, which was my favourite game Frontier (on my Amiga back in the day). It literally was that game transposed into the 21st century.. It has grown and grown, I absolutely think that the FDev team needs some help to extrapolate on ideas and make them more engaging and perhaps not locked behind such grind walls but each time I listen to that team I get the sense that they are the people you avoid at parties :p

Anyway my apologies for resurrecting your post from that far back, didnt realise just saw this filter to the top and naturally went back a few pages...

Sphinx2000 likes this.