Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. mojododo

mojododo Member

100% agree, scale while in VR is by far the best on show in E: D. going in and out of the slot is an experience by itself and the inner station is such an expanse vs looking at on monitors.

2. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

I have ED and the quest2
    Took a bit of tinkering to work out the right sequence of doing things.
    Now I have to play it in VR - its amazing - blows me away all the time - even the most boring aspects of teh game are fantastic.
    The recent burning stations rescue missions felt incredible - getting thrown around by random explosions while choosing lives to be saved purely based on how much reputation they were going to give me...
    And the cockpit views from some of the craft where you have 270 degree of everything - makes those ships pretty neat too

Zee likes this.
  3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Tried SRV in VR yet? Plenty of viewing angles.
    Abandoned outposts, volcanism sites, crash sites, ancient alien ruins and thargoid installations are especially a treat, you can look up some known locations.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Dilligaf666 and Zee like this.
  4. Zee

Zee Member

Just walk around your cockpits. The attention to detail is pretty epic - you'll quickly figure out the "tight arse" ship builders, with random cabling hung up with velcro and tapes to the floor behind the pilot chairs (I'm looking at you Mr Delacy! Your work on the Python is appalling!), the industrial build of the Asp (and other Lakon ships (the pure class and tech of the Imperial and Saud Kruger ships. The attention to detail that you can only really look for in VR is amazing. Shows that they had always planned for people to walk around their ships, and they did the hard work for it at the start of ship design.

I still just love randomly tooling around in VR, literally doing nothing but floating around watching the station spin inches from my bulkhead whilst ships the size of football fields fly in and out of the letterbox. I sometimes feel like the graphics and audio department of FD are at a level that is in a different stratosphere to some of the other teams involved.

Z...

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

You can sell them to the empire. The empire always require more slaves. o7

Used to be able to park an Anaconda inside a burning station and scoop up ejected capsules until you run out of cargo, limpets or heat sinks. Now the things don't seem to respawn so i drive my space bus into the dock, scoop everything up inside the station, land, get as many missions as possible and return to the rescue ship to sell *cough* rescue survivors.

I did enough last week to finally max out rep with the Alliance/Allioths to get the system permit. Took a few hours.

You can also take basic medicine to burning stations, the mark up is worth your time if you have say a T9 or Cutlass with a bit over 700 tonnes of cargo.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Zee likes this.
  6. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

How long does the grind to anaconda take? I think I've got an explorer asp with max cargo capacity... I use the websites but it has really put me off the last few years on and off

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

These depend on your standing with various factions (preferably allied):

* Tourism: Rubigo passenger missions will make u about 120 mil/hour. You'll also need to engineer your ship to make the trip in 2 jumps. Some passengers may also be criminals so you'll need to learn the art of smuggling.
    * Data courier: 30-50 mil/hour at Ngalinn & Mainani. Your luck varies as it is dependent on station states and board flipping RNG. All you need is a fast ship like an engineered Imperial Courier to zap between three points. Data couriers have no cargo. Also a good place to grind Imperial Navy Ranks.
    * Combat: Stacking pirate massacre missions. 100-300 mil/hour depending on your combat efficiency and board flipping RNG. You can do these in a wing.

Other:
    * Exploration: Road to riches can also make about 30 mil/hour.
    * Mining: Metal mining about 100mil/hr.
    * Cargo: Basic medicines delivered to burning stations are significantly marked up. Profit depends on your cargo capacity. Check inara or eddb for info. Note: burning stations do not have auto docking and bring some heat sinks.
    * Rescue: Any burning station in the bubble. You've choice of Alliance/Federation/Imperial systems at the moment. Good places to grind Navy Ranks and build up reputation with core system factions (for system permits). Money is on the lower end, but the risk is low, because you're ferrying passengers (economy cabins are sufficient) from the station to a nearby rescue carrier. All you need are heat sinks for entering the burning station.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yeah, some big money to be made if you know where to look these days.
    Less than a day to get a conda from a fresh start - for sure.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  9. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

What, seriously? Yikes.

I love exploring but only get pennies. And my ship feels like it's made from wet tissue paper in a fight these days!

Thanks for the list pinkeh. So is engineering a prereq these days for success?

10. mojododo

mojododo Member

Haha yeah optimus, you can rake it in very quickly. I went mining for a couple of days and built a nice lot of credits. Then i wiped my save and started again. About to have a full set of Virpil gear turn up in the next couple of days and will get back into elite, will go do some mining or maybe the rescue missions as thats new.

Zee likes this.
  11. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Engineering helps do things better depending on what you're after. Grinding materials and unlocking engineers can be a bit of a chore though.

12. mojododo

mojododo Member

Yeah i remember that grind. Havent bothered engineering yet on my new save but will once i get into it soon.

13. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Foraging for crafting mats is a lot less grind than it used to be. These days you get 3 x mats per pickup instead of 1, they increased personal mat storage limits, and now there are mat trader NPCs at certain stations where you can trade spare mats for the ones your missing, etc, so that's pretty good.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  14. mojododo

mojododo Member

ooh, thats a nice QOL change.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Look out Star Citizen, it's a much smaller developer with a lot less staff and a lot less money, in a lot less time?..... :lol:
    Here's hoping they also add walking around Ships soon, and VR.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Zee and Jacom like this.
  16. bart5986

bart5986 Member

That Starport tour looks disappointing. It looks like its just base game Elite Dangerous but instead of a ship you have legs. The missions seem to be exactly the same style as base game.

I assume just like the base game its just going to be a bunch of randomly generated locations for you to get your randomly generated missions from?

I've been hoping they would expand on the gameplay but it seems this is staying the same. And there doesn't even seem to be VR support which ruins the existing VR support unless you have the kind of setup that makes transitioning between the two seamless.

Assuming the videos don't get any better I can't see any major changes to the small player base.

17. Zee

Zee Member

My smuggler Asp is my favourite ship in the game, and I'm rich enough to buy my own Megaship, and have just about every engineers perk I want for every ship I enjoy. That's how awesome the Asp is. Vulture is a close second.

Z...

bart5986 likes this.
  18. mojododo

mojododo Member

"We're aiming for the Alpha to be available for download at 11AM BST/10AM UTC on Monday 29th March"

Late monday for us looking to be the alpha demo to b available if all goes to plan.

19. mojododo

mojododo Member

Anyone still actively playing? I've come back to the game after about 3 years and forgot i cleared my save last time i played.

Lots of new things to get used to thats been added since and just having to unlock and redo that grind that is engineers to be somewhat capable in combat zones again ugh.

20. roxydog

roxydog Member

Yeah everyday - some of the CGs have been fantastic.
    Also some rewards for CGs have double engineered weapons or modules.