1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Wait. That's no moon :Paranoid:

2. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Sorry, you're absolutely right, it's 2 planets orbiting each other orbiting a gas giant. Same thing just bigger. The same system had a red dwarf that was 100000Ls away from the Nav Beacon. It took me 10 minutes to find the bloody thing it was that small.

3. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

You didn't click the link I quoted

and now you fucked the joke :(

4. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

That's way too subtle for a thumbnail.

5. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

Does anyone know where to order a Saitek X52 Pro from? im really struggling to find them online where the store will ship to Australia, and I dont want to pay the insane costs people want on eBay....

6. Revenger

Revenger Member

PLE has them limited in WA at $159.

They may be able to do interstate shipping.

7. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

alas, that is the X52 (normal), im after the X52 Pro

easy way to tell them apart
    silver = X52
    black = X52 Pro

8. Revenger

Revenger Member

Ahhh my bad.

Its a older superseded discontinued model anything wrong with getting a X55?

All places with the X52 Pro with any still left are the same price as the X55 or more expensive if you check ebay etc.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Snuffy22

Snuffy22 Member

quality of the build issues are what are putting me off the X52 & X55, lots of bad feedback for them, the X52 Pro is made from tougher stuff, more metal less plastic apparently, also has twice as many axis sensors for better response etc

10. raGneG

raGneG Member

Wasn't playing Elite.. but many other games including Alien: Isolation, Half Life 2 etc. Any forward motion gave me sickness. My brain says I'm moving forward but I'm not. Tried 5-10 times to adjust and I'd just get a headache. Was better when I was in a vehicle being moved around a VR showcase. Same thing with falling off buildings etc. It's all fun and games the first time.. then it's just annoying.

11. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

My personal experience with the x55 is that it is pretty good.

No failures on my devices.

I got an x55 from the second major production run (Sept/Oct) which appears to have resolved a couple of the more common problems. (dodgy hats/buttons, etc). I do get a bit of a grinding noise (friction realted) when using the twist on the main stick but that can be easily rectified if it bothers you with some lubrication (just get the right stuff to avoid damaging the device).

So look for more recent info on the x55 from people who have bought it after August 2014 and avoid the early production run quality noise. That will give you a more accurate feel for the quality.

Cheers

12. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

I think the x55 is a little different in regards to wear and tear due to its unique design.. all the issues I had with my x52's where directly related to dodgy pots causing them to twitch or not recenter this is why i decided to buy the Warthog. my x52's only lasted me 2 years a piece. So i am hoping if my warthog lasts longer than 4 its payed for itself, and being alot more accurate and much better feel during the time of use.

Edit... wait... i was thinking of the x65 :p

don't have any experience with the x55 directly

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Ah yep... I get that as well with HL2 and Alien: Isolation (although i poop my pants before i get sick in A:I). It gets 'easier' to stay in and ignore that after a while, but Elite or any other Seated experiences are much much better for this, as the motion detachment or difference in not there at all. Your in the cockpit and move exactly how you would expect.

As I said my partner is very sensitive to Vr motion sickness (and motion sickness in general), how ever she was able to spend a good 20-30 minutes in Elite, pulled it off only because she wanted to stop playing for a bit, rather than feeling sick..

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Protip: when upgrading your ship, DO NOT sell your shield generator:lol:

Been getting into the fighting part of the game, and was doing alright, getting killed a bit, BEFORE realising I had no shields:Paranoid: , now gone back to running away until I can get the money for the shield generator again:leet:

15. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Made 11k exploring yesterday, that was nice for my first little trip. But it's so much slower than trading.

I'd like to see exploration prices doubled to balance the time requirements.

16. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

I don't think it needs it, with a 'basic' discovery scanner, in a system only 3-4 jumps away from start I made 9K from a single D-Scanner push...

I you want to start making more money you will need to get a better scanner, and can also install a surface scanner, this will increase your info quality and will sell at a higher price.

Also its completely dependent, on how common the data is

17. Optimus.

Optimus. Member

Oh. I didn't scan anything. I did it manually by spotting the moving stars. Maybe I need to learn how to scan...

18. mojododo

mojododo Member

Just assign the discovery scanner to a fire group and use it like the warrant scanner (holding fire)

19. Zee

Zee Member

Heard pretty much the same thing... So I'm going to get the CH products Throttle, and the TM 16000M - a lot of positive reviews of that combo.

Z...

20. antenna

antenna Member

Exploration seems to pay well to me.

I'm on a bit of a trip currently, a quick scan with the basic scanner has got me $5k+ in some systems. I suspect this is because they have seen little contact and so the data is worth more.

Would love to know if I was the first player in a system, I wish it told you somewhow.. or let you name something.