Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. GregDude

GregDude Member

I'm a Elite Dangerous occasional lurker considering getting this game.
    Can someone explain how this game and its expansions are sold?

Do I just buy ED now and potentially the expansion when it is released soon, in order to enjoy the whole game?

2. power

power Member

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, the game model is a bit odd.

It's an always online MMO with a singleplayer mode that supposedly is crappy.

The store page shows nothing additional to be purchased.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/

3. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

If by single-player mode, you just mean Solo mode which is NPC's only no other players - it has it's uses depending on what you want to do as the world is open PVP, but it is certainly not crappy.
    You can choose either solo, group mode with friends only or open mode at anytime with the same character/save each time you login.

If you buy the paid expansion it includes the vanilla game, which is why the vanilla game is cheap now. The expansion is coming out in a few weeks.

This is similar to Guildwars 2 pricing model.

You can play the vanilla game on it's own after the expansion - so it could be cheap way to try before you buy, but you wont get planetary landings and other new stuff without the paid expansion.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  4. xHardz

xHardz Member

But a very good price to get into the game, fly around and get some ships sorted.

I need to get on and play more, have a HOTAS sitting there collecting dust... only used it like twice since I got it lol.

I feel the need to sit down and have a long session with this game, hard to just jump in for less than an hour or two without it feeling like wasted time. Plus its always hard to get my mates on to play at the same time.

5. GregDude

GregDude Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like I might wait for the next expansion, or the one after depending on reviews.

6. Spork!

Spork! Member

Just about finished D/L it. Glad I saw it was on sale on this thread, might have missed it otherwise. :thumbup:

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  8. odessa

odessa Member

how about a game pad? Never been good with a joystick

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yep, game supports game-pad, with customisable setup, etc. It's on Xbone as well.
    But you limited on your buttons combos, which you need a lot of - and joy+kb or hotas setup can just do far easier.

Also immersion is heaps better with a stick setup, as well as your ingame avatar has a hotas setup that moves in real-time with your movements is pretty cool - and works very well VR.

[​IMG]

10. Spork!

Spork! Member

Hey mate - not really into flight sim's etc. Are the budget HOTAS any good? Really not keen on spending several hundred at this stage.

11. maestro

maestro Member

I use a Saitek x52, got it cheap on Amazon. Other than an issue with the useless thumb stick mouse I find it to be really good and makes flying a lot more enjoyable than a controller. The finger stick for thrusters makes landing a breeze. Definitely recommend getting a HOTAS setup it really adds to the immersion.

12. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Just picked this game up from the steam sale. $14 is too good to pass up. Been eyeing it off for a while, was a huge freelancer fan back in the day. Waiting for it to install, hope its as good as it looks. Little worried that it will be a bit overly complicated.

13. Zee

Zee Member

I use an Xbox controller when I play on my Mac Air - it's not a Hotas, but it is do-able.

The problem is that bucketload of bindings needed to play. I found I needed 2 more buttons on the XB controller if I really wanted it set up right, but anyway, it works, and is still fun.

Be warned, it's a stepe learning curve. Plenty have rage quite because they couldn't even dock...
    As Is aid, the learning curve is steep, but just stick with it, you'll figure it out soon enough. There is something satisfying about putting the hours in to get good at something that is a bit tricky...

Z...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  14. xHardz

xHardz Member

I'll be honest, I jumped in with out watching tutorials or into stuff and tried a couple of the training missions. Even that was a little tough. Did 3-4 of them and jumped in with friends.

First station I came to I couldn't dock within the time limit, had to fly away and come back. Half an hour later I had docked and smashed my ship up trying to get out. Tried to jump systems and ran out of fuel and had to get rescued by my brother (lol). Opened the the in cockpit computer and next minute died with a log full of bounties because I smashed into the station.

Having never played anything like this it was a huge learning curve. First couple of days on KB+Mouse were a nightmare, a HOTAS made a world of difference.

A lot I still don't know that well, but combat and docking became really natural after 1-2 attempts as did jumping + using fuel scoop on a smaller ship.

I think the big thing is to not give up after a few defeats. I have died twice overall, and once was trying to take on massive ships with my 2 friends who took up other targets and I got smoked ha.

EDIT:

Zee's post summed up my noob issue pretty well. I was on TS raging the whole time because I couldn't dock, but once I had it I can swoop in and dock without even thinking about it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  15. Spork!

Spork! Member

I've ordered a Thrustmaster Hotas. Will try to play when that arrives. Wasn't enjoying at all using KBM.
    I spent countless hours back in the day playing the original elite on the Amiga.
    Hope this one is as much fun.

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Sorry for the late reply: I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro + KB combo, but the Thrustmaster HOTAS is a good entry level one.
    There is some discussion on people's setups a few pages back.

Here is an example binding from reddit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  17. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I'm enjoying the game so far, its not as complicated as it looks. The only thing that i cant get the hang of is FSD. I wish they could just simplify it so you jump right next to your destination, hyperspace is fine but then trying to jump to a docking station, gotta figure out the best distance and time to start slowing the speed to the correct amount and the best distance to stop FSD.

I always over shoot and it takes me many tries to actually get it to stop right next to a station etc. The distances are so great that being out even by what seems a tiny distance becomes like 30min normal travel time....

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

There is a visual threshold you can set it to so that its automatic.

I rarely did that though because I would rather go as fast as possible and hope I stop in time ;)

19. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Ok, but yeah I do the same thing to minimise travel time. Quickly found out you can just hyperspace right into a sun with absolutely no damage or problems.

20. Frag

Frag Member

Easy, adjust your speed so your time to destination is always on 0:08 until the very end. If you adjust to that speed, usually in the middle of the highlighted speed range (on the right side of speed gauge) it auto decelerates for you