Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

^^ Yep this.

I usually supercruise at flat biscuits till about 0:10 out from destination, then throttle down to middle of the blue line and let the local mass of the planet/moon's gravity that the station is orbiting slow me down on approach to the right speed all the way to safe disengage. (As a side note the gravity mass effect on your FSD is also depicted on the hud by blue circles emanating from the large mass bodies on approach, if you didn't know what that was)

Also another tip I figured out is that most orbital stations entry slot faces the planetary body it is orbiting - so if you approach high or low, then come in at a 90 degree angle between the body and the station while in supercruise - and then turn when your in-line to face the station so it's orbit lines are perfectly horizontal - on disengage the slot it nearly directly in front of you every time. May take some practice, but worth it.

2. Zee

Zee Member

Use the 7 second rule.

When the timer hits 7 seconds, put the throttle to 50%, and then you can cruise the rest of the way to the drop out point at 50% throttle.

6 seconds is still ok, but 5 seconds is the point where you'll overshoot.

the old days were more fun, back when the planetary bodies had a greater gravity effect. You could basically fly at full throttle until just a LS or two form the planet (depending on size) and then pull up, the planet's gravity would slow you at ridiculous rates, you just had to make sure you lined up the planet so that the station was perpendicular to you initial trajectory. Flying past planets was awesome, they'd rip you off you path with a huge wobble (especially lrager gas giants). I miss those days, wish they would de-gimp the gravity...

Also, Horizons Beta is out, for those with Beta access. I'm still 17k Ly form Sol, and am making a hug epush to get back tot he bubble and sell my data before I mess with the new Beta, should be fun, though!
    Z...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  3. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

^this but you can actually go up to 75% throttle without overshooting, that's smack bang in the middle of the blue. In the controls you can bind 0, 25, 50, 75 and 100 throttle.

4. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Does anybody have any opinions on the Federal Assault Ship (or the Federal Gun Ship for that matter). I've been fanging around for a long time in my Vulture, I used to be one of those assholes who'd randomly attack other players, but I don't really have time for that anymore (writing a thesis) so my playtime consists of sitting in a HazRes and pewpewing.

I quite like the agility and survivability of the Vulture, the speed I don't mind, but I get a bit frustrated with the firepower. I'm usually targeting high-value PvE bounties (Anacondas, Pythons, etc) and the 2 large pulse lasers I have fitted eventually get the job done, but it can be a bit tedious shooting out the power plant and whatnot.

I've tried the Imperial Clipper and while the firepower was a definite improvement, it lacked agility (I like to thrust in circles around the target) and got shot up a lot (it's a big target). The Fer de Lance also lacked agility and didn't quite seem to have enough punch to take out larger targets (plus I found the location of the huge weapon mount a bit frustrating), although other than that I quite liked it. I briefly had a Python which was awesome (well, it handled like a truck, but was great at clobbering whatever ended up in front of it) but I didn't quite have enough funds to completely A-spec it, and thus it was less effective in a credits-per-hour metric than the Vulture.

However, from what I read, the FAS looks the bomb. Good firepower, good agility, affordable. I know the shields suck but it has armour out of the wazoo and given its weight, you could just ram targets to death. Plus I am guessing it doesn't have power management issues like the Vulture. The FGS looks interesting, although I don't know if I like the idea of having one less large weapon mount. I guess it's less agile though?

Any thoughts? Should I grind up the rankings to get the FAS or will I still prefer the Vulture? :p

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. ztorma

ztorma Member

Steam sale -67% was $44.99 now $14.84 USD

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I heard people rave about the FAS but I was already a RES Python veteran and Vulture before it from way back before they came out so I tried one and A fit FAS a few weeks back but just feels small and less punch these days than the heavier albeit less agile Python that just smashes stuff quickly, and yeah those shields drop quickly - not personally used to an armour tank build just yet - but hull upgrades are getting tweaked in 1.5/2.0, along with the dreaded SCB nerf/extra heat etc that is proving interesting in the beta - so things could shift there.

The FDL is getting an agility boost and better power plant in 1.5/2.0 so there is that, which PVP'ers are getting excited about too.

Coming from a trade-conda owner, I am liking the feel of the Corvette to sink a lot of cash in to rather than the Conda. It just feels more agile and combat ready - just afraid that the Fed rank requirements will be spastic. (Currently CPO). Also, more L4 guns in bound in 1.5/2.0 hopefully more options there too.

Speaking of Horizons, the 2.0 beta has just arrived, and spent a bit landing and driving around - very interesting new part of the game for sure - hopefully they can keep up the content to keep going back.
    Flying in low-g is something to get used to - especially for bigger heavy ships that drift like hell when trying to turn - that ground comes up fast.

7. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

true, but with the expac coming in the next few weeks its still better to get that instead.

8. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

Oooh, now that is interesting. Perhaps I can revisit the FdL after the update, it was mostly the agility (or lack thereof) that bothered me about it, and a better power plant would be awesome. Thanks for the rest of the info too, it sounds like ultimately a Python is what I'd be interested in, maybe I just need a bit of variety from grinding away in the Vulture until I can afford an A-spec Python. I might try out the FAS anyway, if it doesn't work for me trading back down to the Vulture won't lose me much money overall :)

9. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I need some help trying to find trader vessels...i was told to go to a nav beacon, so i can see ships but i cant find any trader vessels...where do i find them? i need to kill one for a mission.

10. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

You should be able to find some at a nav beacon - they'll typically be in Haulers, or a Type 6/7/9. Traders typically will not be "wanted" either. Given that you're going to get a bounty on your head for killing the trader, you may as well just pop everybody at the nav beacon until the mission decides that you've completed it :p

11. Frag

Frag Member

I have been flying an A spec FAS for awhile and I must say I love it

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_a...m0404044a2d5d2t536b.AwRj4yqA.AwhMIyoRgZhIA===

No power issues is the key :) Love the Plasma ACCs, just melts stuff away. Ive added some Military Grade armor but really did fine without it.

Its pretty damn agile (esp with no additional armor), but packs a nice punch without running into any power issues.

HS Distance sucks, and so does the Fuel Scoop, where its a little bugged atm (well I think it is) and you just heat up a little too quick.

But yeah I tried FDL and nearly threw up and went back to my Vulture until I ground out the Federal rank.

Obviously everyone says Python is just awesome, which it definitely is but I like the idea of a single purpose fighter type ship, and flown well it does the job (im still a noob tho :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmAUf3U3spk <-- a good pilot flying one PvP from Hudson :p (Go Hudson heh)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  12. frashed

frashed Member

Purchased this on the weekend during the Steam Sale.

Played about 3 hours so far and still feeling overwhelmed, I find navigation confusing! How do I find a mission in the same star system as mine? I can see the marker on the Galaxy Map but can't figure out how to 'track' it? Hope that makes sense lol.

Any videos/pointers you can share for a newbie would be appreciated :thumbup:

13. Zee

Zee Member

Ah that's 75%? by 50%, I meant the middle of the blue. I use a HOTAS, so not really sure what value it is, I just know where to slide the throttle. I'll keep that in mind, cheers. :thumbup:

missions int he same system are rare, and don't pay well. time to learn to jump - don't be afraid. The sooner you get used to travelling further out of the "home" system, the better.

with the mission marker on the galaxy map, just click on the system where the marker is, and click the one three balls connected with lines icon (that's the target system button).

It's probably set to "economical route" (the default) on the galaxy map, so it'll take a quite a fe wjumps to get to where oyu are going, but if you select "fastest route", it will take you the shortest possible way with your jump ranges factored in. The second way is uses more fuel, though. A Frame Shift Drive upgrade is probably the best 1st investment you can make.

My Asp can jump from one side of the inhabited bubble to the other in 5 or 6 jumps. You're sidey would probably need 40 or 50 to do the same thing.
    Z...

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  14. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I went from Vulture to mid-spec Python just fine, and worked up to A on the job. :thumbup:

15. Zee

Zee Member

Mid spec is fine. $110m odd will do a good job - you can get away with less. A grade thrusters are essential...

Z...

16. Frag

Frag Member

I got a little bored of just doing RES so now running a Trader Python and well can do PvE easy enough. Only 228 cargo but at a 4500+ cred round trip that takes 8mins i'm turning over close to 8mil per hour.

I'll work this up to full A-Spec but for what I am doing now, with A FSD and A Thrusters the rest is fine..

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07...4040005054f040403020201.Iw18eQ==.EwBhEYy6dsg=

Surprisingly agile the Python, obviously nothing on a FAS but now I can multi role :)

17. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

I am currently saving up to upgrade my cargo ship, Type 7.
    Torn between a Python and a Type 9.
    Python is a lot more flexible and durable but only has the same cargo capacity of the Type 7. Type 9 seems like a barge but has 450 cargo capacity, so can make more per hour. Both will cost about the same fully kitted out.
    Anyone used a Type 9?

18. Frag

Frag Member

The difference may not be as clear cut tho - remember type 9 can only land on large pads so most of the really lucrative runs require medium (outposts)

4000 to 4700 round trip per ton vs 3500 to 4000 using only large pads.

Add to that how slow it is and it may increase round trip time so you get maybe half a round trip less per hr.

Currently I am doing 4600 round trip which takes 8 mins so at 228x4600/8x60 (Python) vs 450x3900/10x60 (Type 9)

So $7,866,000ph vs $10,530,000 in my calcs. Edit: I added the extra couple mins per run, probably a little high but I like to skew results in favor of my arguments, im an economist after all! So you can say 7 to 8m ph, vs 10 to 12m ph.. :)

In the end tho, my python can easily handle any PvE ship and should be ok to at least ward off or runaway from most PvP scenarios. Ultimately, its a matter of whacking in the SCB's and its fully combat ready for PvP.

Now I know why people love the Python as their daily drivers.

This would be the Type 9 Id spec out

http://coriolis.io/outfit/type_9_he...4040007064f040303022t01.Iw18eQ==.AwiMIyu8g===

Type 9 vs Python - 220+ odd cargo, half the shields, same armor, no maneuverability, slightly better jump range/distance, only Large pads vs Medium on Python, Less DPS, Similar price, Single Role vs Multi Role

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  19. Frag

Frag Member

I've upgraded my Python a little now running this :)
    http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07...05n5n4f5i0432020201.AwRj4yoo.EwBhBYy7uBmEBGGQ

Haha completely forgotten about trading again, love 3x Plasmas! Just need another 30 mil for Thrusters and Powerplant and ill be fully a-specc'ed. Made about 20mil in 2hrs last night (getting nice bonus from Zachary Hudson 50% bounty bonus).. I'll spend a little time and grind out the 10000 creds required for the 100% bonus.

20. Zee

Zee Member

I spent a few hours with a type 7 - I died alittle inside every time I had to launch and dock in it. A truly horrible piece of crap. The t-9 is worse. I'll take the Python and enjoy flying it any day, over the increased profits...

Z...