Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I had a type 9 / flying brick / space cow trader for about a week - before upgrading to a trade conda.
    You make so much money so quickly once you start hauling 492t per trip.

But the t9 suffers from short jump range under load - you will make more in a trade conda per hour with her bigger engines - also easier to fly and multi-role, so once you can afford it go for it.
    Kept my python for pew-pews.

Complementary photo (from my ship collection):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. warrenr

warrenr Member

I like the way steam updates automatically in the background, so when they were handing out keys for those that bought direct I jumped at the chance.
    thing is I just noticied that horizons is not available from the steam launcher, but the beta is there if I use the original launcher. I thought the accounts were the same?

3. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Yeah it has been a long time since i had access to a medium pad that i have no idea of the sort of extra trade run possibilities a medium pad would offer. That is one of the mains reasons i was considering the Python. I originally thought they Type 9 would be a better earner and could get it for a little while to save up for Conda.

I have a Clipper for more combat orientated endeavors and against AI i never have a problem getting away in my T7 with no weapons (Just PD/Chaff).

Yeah the Type 7 is a bit of tight fit to dock with and is a bit sluggish to get moving. Biggest issue with docking i find is getting out of the way of something bigger. :lol:
    Once you get it kitted out though it does make reasonable income for its purchase price. Also has good jump range/ fuel range for the amount of cargo it can carry.

Conda is like 3 x price of Type 9/Python so it is going to be a long time till i can afford one. So did it only take you a week with the T9 to make enough to buy a Conda?

4. Frag

Frag Member

Well I had a brain fart last night, the funny sort.

Decided to participate in the exploration mission as I was getting a little bored of solo combat. So headed over 160ly to pick up my Asp, then ventured to Lave. Decided to just fly towards the centre of the universe... amazingly after about 40 max jumps I thought yep thats enough... ill come back so I am not stuck here for 3 days.. On the way back I took the most economical jumps just to get more survey data.

I was 23 jumps odd away from being home (160 jumps all up???) when in my tired state I either popped up next to a super dense super giant star.. didnt scan it so I cant say what it was... however in my tired state I must have auto piloted to try and fuel scoop it... ahahahah that was a mistake.. Got caught in the gravity and just couldnt escape, instead of jumping out to the next system i struggled to get away and ended up blowing up with all my scan data... so about 4-5hrs of exploration just evaporated...

ahhaha

Its going to be a long night tonight but damn it I want to get some exploration ranks hehehe

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

More like double the T9.

[​IMG]

Source

So extra 70m CR is only about 8-9 hours of trading gameplay once you have the size of these holds. So yeah a week was pretty much enough.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  6. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

I was looking at the kitted out price. About 140 mil for T9/Python and 450 mil for Conda.
    I don't like buying the ships without having money to get main modules A spec'd at the same time.

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

You don't A-fit a trader, quite the opposite in fact (except for the FSD).
    It's all about weight reduction.

Anyway, Horizons announced for go-live Dec 15th. :thumbup:

Trailer:

8. Frag

Frag Member

Looking good, though I have read that the "better" missions are still shite, and that performance is absolute poo... Hope they fix both..

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

That trailer looks interesting but I feel like none of that would really happen in the game?

Seems way too different to the current elite dangerous.

10. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

Interesting tidbit of information about the ratings on things. It's not quite as simple as "E is crap through to A being the best" while that's true for their main purpose and cost, they each have sort of a purpose besides that

E is cheap and crap but consumes the least power

D is the lightest but easier to destroy

C is middle of the range in everything

B is heaviest but harder to destroy

A is the most powerful while having the most power draw

11. Blah72

Blah72 Member

There's a serious bug in this game, i keep getting killed when my shield depletes but i have 100% hull.

I was fighting 2 ships earlier today, one of them decided to ram into a transporter and blew up, and the second one was shooting me, and another transporter must of decided it had had enough of this pirate and full on rammed him, and the pirate exploded haha. :thumbup:

12. Frag

Frag Member

Is this a in Horizons beta? Never seen this in 1.4 live.

As for ramming, I love it and use it as part of my kill routine on the FAS. 4 Pips in shields and everything including 'condas get a love tap and plasma balls as a hello :)

13. Zee

Zee Member

Been practicing planetary landings on high G worlds with the my Betaxploraconda...

It's... Interesting. Very, very easy to crash. I have enough rebuy cash to botch 173 landings in Beta...

Z...

14. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

If you're anywhere near it, Wredguia MB-R b49-0 planet 9 is an Icy Planet with a mass of 67.8 and if my calculations are correct should have a gravity of 42.9g It's the highest gravity planet in my Astronomicon of just over 1000 bodies (Obviously Gas Giants don't count, otherwise Pro Eurl GX-T e3-0 A10 would win at 364.3g, Class IV Gas Giant)

15. Punch Bunny

Punch Bunny Member

I managed to pick up a FAS as a Vulture replacement and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. I'm still not quite used to the hardpoint locations, but I'm getting the hang of grinding out an income in a HazRes with it.

I was initially a bit worried when I first thought about ramming a target with the FAS, but in the end I figured I could cover the insurance costs, so why not... since then, I've been merrily slamming into targets to knock down their shields prior to tearing open their hull with gunfire. It's great when you encounter a wing of Anacondas or Pythons with high ranks... just merrily slam them all over the place (particularly into asteroids) and not generate any aggro (seeing a large ship cartwheeling through space his hilarious) until they all have no shields left, and then quickly rip open all of their hulls and rake in the credits :thumbup:

16. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Any pointers to someone that's just started playing this.

Have been using an xbox 360 controller and doing really well. Docking/Flight/Combat is pretty easy so far, took a little getting used to, to travel, and still haven't really figured out how to get routes where you don't find yourself out of fuel, and in a system that has no spots to refuel.

I am thinking about getting the SAITEK X55 Pro Hotas... as i think i'll be playing this quite abit.

17. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I finally made some space friends.

Was hanging outside a station last night when I saw a nice ship and went to have a looksie (because I'm not sure if we can get external camera views of our own ships and I am a Eve Online refugee used to spinning ships).

Met an aussie and heard him try to speak to me (yep, didn't even know there was a voip client in eve).

Winged up with him and he got me into SOL... w00t!

18. Frag

Frag Member

Yeah FAS is fun. The FDL will be a worthy ship with the new update, I will give that a whirl when patch is released. Approx 150m for the config I want but should be fun =) Will be nice to have all those utility mounts and a huge plasma.

The X55 or any HOTAS for that matter certainly make the game much more fun, doesnt break the immersion and makes combat more fun. Personally I went for the X52 (didnt want to spend 250 on something I will only use on one game), and aside from the bad comments I;ve read I find its actually really good. The joystick is quite loose but for a space sim thats perfect, in fact 3-4hrs of flying would be annoying with too much tension. Also you can always add some magnets which makes the sensitivity perfect as well.

So yeah HOTAS is great, but the best thing for this game is TrackIR or if you havent got that

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_la...g04040404020l4a325e544v.AwRj4yrI.AwhMIyrBGOg=

I have a 55" LED TV in my "spaceship" which I occasionally use with this and its seriously awesome. I feel like I am in space, until the wife yells something about our baby or nappies.. not sure, sound doesnt travel in a vacuum so I ignore her.. :p

19. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

I don't mind spending abit more on the x55. Specially as i want to get it today, and there is no stock for the x52! ;)

I got a 40" @ 4k running this.... and it's immersive as hell... i'm loving it so far! the visuals are nice. :)

20. Frag

Frag Member

Oh dont get me wrong the X55 is better than X52, though the bad wrap X52 gets I dont think really pertains to Elite. Most of it was around the stick feel..

Now if you're running this on a 40" and 4k.. you are missing one things

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OpenTrac...207328?hash=item23555ff4e0:g:pxQAAOSwI-BWLiwy

or TrackIR if you have the cash.

To be honest I'd rather just get the ebay one, I have it - zero lag, works absolutely flawlessly in the game using facetracknoir, really made the gameplay a whole another level.