Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Ptsch! i'm lazy! i don't want to move my head.... i'll just use one of the hats on the joystick for viewing purposes ;)

2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Servers are down until approx 16:00 GMT for 1.5/Horizons go live patch. :thumbup:

In the meantime here is an updated ship size comparison video for 1.5:

3. Frag

Frag Member

Trust me, game is 50x better.. flying around looking at planets ... will be magic in horizons.

4. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

I'm disappointed they didn't put a Nimitz class Supercarrier in there this time (for those interested, it's ~140m longer than the cutter but a tiny bit skinnier).

I can't wait for the Cutter but I have SOOOO long to go to get it, I'm still rank outsider, apparently >70 million worth of exploration data means very very little to the Empire, Now I'm just friendly with a lot of places. Oh well, time to grind those random/ascension missions I guess.

Or I could just go back out into the void and get to Elite rank....

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  5. Aggle

Aggle Member

Really interested in this game. Just wondering do I need to be good at space sims to play it?

6. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

You don't need super-fast reflexes to play it, and a lot of the ship handling is automatically controlled with thrusters to make it easy to play (although you can map a button to turn flight-assist off for more advanced maneuvers), and less simulator feeling. Some of it doesn't make sense like your ship slowing down when you open cargo bays/landing gear or having a fixed maximum speed - but they chose fun over simulated flight mechanics.

The game supports keyboard+mouse, but most immersive play is with keyboard+joystick or full HOTAS setup, you won't be disappointed. (Also supports Rift and Vive VR really well!)

Like earlier versions of the game, it is a true sandbox game that doesn't hold your hand, so it doesn't have a campaign or story. You decide what you want to do and how you want to do it. It expects you to be independent and make decisions for yourself - but there is plenty to see and do from trading & smuggling to exploring to discovery to bounty hunting & piracy. Starports and Planetary bases offer missions to achieve objectives for money and rep, or you just go out and make your own way.

You only have one save/character - but each time to play the game you can choose to either play Solo with just you and NPC ships, Group play with friends and NPCs, or Open play with everyone and NPCs about - PVP is allowed anywhere. There is one server/world and it is an always online game.

More info in this older article here:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/...the-best-damn-spaceship-game-ive-ever-played/

7. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Horizons Launch Trailer:

8. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

I'm terrible at space flight mechanics and thinking in 3d (so i suck pretty bad at combat). This does not stop me from kill-whoring and making money from combat. I also do trading, couriers, a couple of 'kill the pirate' missions...

There are heaps of options... sometimes you're going to be the bug and other times you're the windshield (This coming from a bitter Eve Online veteran)

9. Blah72

Blah72 Member

After the patch i noticed there is a 64bit option now.:thumbup:

Love the names for other AI ships in this game, fought against PsychoticToaster haha.

10. Franc

Franc Member

Yeah thats the ppl who paid extra on kickstarter (like me).

That said I am done with the game, appears they screwed the eighty pound and above backers free upgrades.

11. MightyOz

MightyOz Member

Are you saying that you didn't get this latest expansion for free ? As it says you should have ? Damn ! :(

12. Aggle

Aggle Member

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I'll grab it next time it's on sale!

13. Frag

Frag Member

Sooo I spent a few hours undermining deep in Imperial territory in my FDL. After making ~600-700 merits I realised I was running low on fuel, so planned my jump out of there to refuel and patch up..

Guess what, I was in a deadspot and nearest scoopable planet was at least 2 jumps for me so I was fresh out of luck. All I can say is thank you Fuel Rats, one and only time I used their service.

Felt like i had my balls on the chopping block, sitting in middle of enemy territory with 2 pixels of fuel with everything bar life support turned off.. lol was waiting to get blow sky high but thankfully it didnt happen.

I love the new FDL, even prefer it over the FAS since the placements are just so damn sexy. With BiWeave and all Boosters find I never really drop shields if I dont want to.

Anyway, bit of fun last night lol.

14. joerandom

joerandom Member

Just bought Horizons. Never had Elite, i think people who bought the first game are getting rorted having to pay so much extra for Horizons which includes the base game.

However, so far loving the game, planet landings is kinda meh, no first person? I want to get out in ports and on planets.

This game truly highlights the HUGE ASS size of just one galaxy. Crazy, i already knew i watch enough docos but to be able to fly at many time C and still take a while to reach single planets in a system. Awesome. :thumbup:

15. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

So i finally got enough $$$ for a hauler. Bought that and upgraded thrusters, FSD, and power distribution.

Works really well as a hauler..... except....... i couldn't get any hauling missions that were worth anything other than a measily couple thousand.

Is it just me or does the game have very limited missions at the start for the trading scene?

I've decided to sell my hauler, and get a viper instead, so that i can do some bounty missions/cleanup/fighting missions.

16. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

The decent paying missions need both friendly/allied to the faction or station and higher trading rank for higher pay. To get money trading you need to, surprise surprise, trade. Ignore the bulletin board and just trade through the commodities.

It's not just trading either, high pay fighting mission need higher combat rank and high pay salvage missions need high exploration rank. The best you might be able to do is get multiple missions to the same station then stock up what's left to sell like normal to it to.

Update on my side.
    Bought myself an Orca. Sexy and reasonably fast ship but it's such a yacht for turning. I can orbit around a star faster than doing a 180 in this thing and while having a class 3 cannon and 2xclass 2 lasers is good they're on the belly of the ship so for them to be able to aim at anything, the thing you're trying to shoot has to be about level with the dashboard or lower and this has no window underneath like say a type-6 or Asp does.

I have this one fitted out for exploring but with a measly jump range of 18Ly I'm a bit worried I'll have to follow the arm of the spiral to go coreward rather than cutting straight there and risk getting stuck halfway... or stock up on Jumponium I guess just in case.

I can see why only .016% of players use this ship but regardless it's mine and I like it for what it is, besides I spent 90 mil on this thing so I'm gonna bloody use it.

The HMS Procrastinating Cetacean is off to explore the galaxy in such hedonistic luxury the likes of which has never been seen before.

17. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

At the start i got a couple of missions @ the 50-80k mark. And i got quite a few at the 30k mark. Now i'm lucky to even get a damn mission!

Issue with trading is you can only carry so much with the first couple of ships. I can only carry 4 with the sidewinder and 8 with the hauler.

They could at least have a consistent amount of missions @ 1k-2k mark so that newbs can progress without the insane jumping back and forth to be LUCKY to gain a 1k profit on a trade route.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  18. Frag

Frag Member

Go rare's trading

http://coriolis.io/outfit/adder/03D3D3A1D2D3D3C-----020201012j.Iw1+kA==.Aw1+kA==

Once you get enough money, get the Cobra and outfit for trade ..

I managed to get into an Asp Explorer within a week and then sold the asp for the vulture and been focusing on combat ever since =) Rares trading was pretty easy, had no issues with PvP or PvE, so after awhile I didnt even run with shields :)

19. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

After all that carrying on like a pork chop.... i found 4 missions worth 80-150k each. Multi parters but completed them and have 600k in the bank now.

20. m0n4g3

m0n4g3 Member

Picked up a cobra mkIII with class d internals essentially as they are the lightest and they allow for ~14 LY jumps, got an frame shift interdictor, kill warrant scanner, and fuel scoop.

Now to save up for an intermediate or advanced scanner and i'm good to do some exploring! :)