Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Cool thanks.

How do you make money from exploring? Or is it more of a venture off for the fun of it thing? (I dunno, world looks great but not sure i'd have fun just exploring lol).

I think i'll stick towards hauling for now, so if you guys have any tips that'd be appreciated :thumbup:

2. aokman

aokman Member

I don't know the ins and outs of it as its not my thing yet but as far as I know you explore new star systems / planets etc then sell the data at distant places.

3. Ohmigosh

Ohmigosh Member

Yep. Jump into a system. Do a system scan. (Get the big scanner so you can scan the whole system rather than just a part of it.) Fly to each system object and so a detailed scan on the planet/moon/mining site. If you are the first to discover/detailed scan you get your CMDR name linked to the object and you get a higher reward than if its just the first time you have scanned the object.

Sell your discovery data at a station. You make more cash from earth-likes and resource rich planets than barren hunks of rock.

You can make quite a bit of money but it's very slow compared to space trukkin'. Best bet is to do Community Goal exploration rather than just sell your data at the next station you land at.

:thumbup:

4. Zee

Zee Member

If you scoop up a random item, chances are it'll be marked as "stolen", and needs to be sold at a black market - you'll find them at some stations under "Contacts".

You can find stations with black markets by looking at the system map, hovering over the station with the pointer and checking the info section on the left of the screen.

Z...

5. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Beautiful. Thank you all for the continued tips :)

6. Zee

Zee Member

You'll also want to be fast at docking, getting scanned results in a fine if you're cought with stolen or illegal goods in your hold.

Z...

7. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Docking? More like going full speed into the entrance and hoping you don't miss because you have silent running on which means no shields... :lol:

8. splbound

splbound Member

Started making some decent credits in doing rare trade runs in a MKIII Cobra.

http://imgur.com/SVpPHrv

Rajukru Triangle Rare trade run.
    Should get you about 1.2-1.6m each loop when maximised. A cargo hold of about 70-80T should be able to maximise things so switched over to a T6 when I had more credits from doing these runs. Can do the loop an about 30min in an FSD A rated T6.

Doing these runs in a cobra, it shouldn't take you long to raise enough funds to something more appropriate for rares trading.

I like trading but not the T7 type bulk normal goods trading. The repeated 1-2 jump routes bored the crap out of me. Even though I was making decent credits, it wasn't my type of fun.

Bought an AspX and now doing the Sothis long range Biowaste delivery missions. Bit of exploration, bit of interdictions (don't know why the NPC's think pirating biowaste is a good idea?) , fuel scooping, a nice balance of stuff to do for now.

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

I didn't realise it had a full analog thumb stick among the many other hats, which would be awesome for lateral and vertical thruster control.
    Finally bought one today, took ages to finally map everything out how I want it - but oh so good to be finally full HOTAS. :thumbup:

10. Zee

Zee Member

That is why I still use it, even though I have a Watthog. The CH is better for ED, though the Warthog stick is excellent to pair with it. So many bindings at your fingertips with a CH Pro and a Warthog stick!

Z...

11. aokman

aokman Member

I find the thumbstick works quite well on the X-55 with the registry tweak, not perfect but does the job :)

12. splbound

splbound Member

I found the warthog throttle great to use. Can't comment on the CH as I haven't used it.

I am using the slew analogue nipple to control yaw. It's doing a great job. I originally thought I would have to buy some pedals but this is good enough for elite. May still add some Slaw or MKB pedals it the future for some flight sim action.

Been playing with the target scripting for the throttle and stick. Managed to script the boat switch to configure my pips quickly to full sys or full weapons. Also scripted an on off switch to continuously launch chaff.

Just have to think of more ways to script the buttons to make life a little easier.

13. jpw007

jpw007 Member

Are any of the sticks wireless? That's make steamlink on the TV good, though i will admit i'm enjoying using the xbox360 control.

Googled that HOTAS. $600?? Oh damn...

14. aokman

aokman Member

The X-55 is good for the price, X-56 is a bit more. Has Yaw built into the trick also which I like. Doesn't have the build of the HOTAS but yeah half the price lol.

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Looks like 70% (from nearly 40k votes) voted for ship-transfers delay, Frontier will now implement - but may be pushed to 2.3 release instead:
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/288348-Transfer-Poll-Results

:thumbup:

16. mojododo

mojododo Member

Looks like im coming back to e:d just in time for 2.2 and/or ship transferring!

Thought id share my controller exp over the 2ish years of elite ive had.

logi extreme 3d pro: very cheaply made and inaccurate. Internals on stick have floating centre point making it very hard to dial in deadzones to allow for my heavy hand drift!

saitek cyborg fly.5: About the same as the logi, plus having a adjustable stick made it very creaky and loose in hand when you went to move the stick, made worse that the initial movement force was waay too much making the screws holding the adjusting stick angles move first! Lots of drift and needed fair deadzone.

x55: Good when new. 6 months in as per everyone elses the throttle had ghosting buttons when moving the throttle and eventually broken wires to some buttons. Actually was accurate in movement on the stick, nicely weighted spring (4 to adjust in box) no real deadzones needed in game. Throttle side has a really good set of usable buttons for elite. the stiffness slider was a bit odd, turn forever and wouldnt get much tighter, then eventually youd have it really tight.

(current) warthog: overpriced.. but worth the money if you want a solid chunk of steel to work with. 4way hat under right hand thumb is really bad for me (small hands) so i have to keep it unused so i can rest thumb on it.
    accurate and good for fine movements, does need deadzone to account for my resting hand pushing right. Throttle side again great, good long action on the throttle itself, base still moves with the tension up tight though. Buttons for me in elite are lacking badly. too many inputs you could have much rather had momentary than the full toggle switch, but still managed to assign everything i needed.

On that subject ive just ordered a set of Monster Tech table mounts for my warthog stick and soon to be t.16000m for left hand.
    (tried dual sticks and love it!)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  17. aokman

aokman Member

I wish the Warthog had an option for yaw control as I would be lining up for one, but yeah I setup my cockpit each time I fly and have no interest in setting up pedals every time also :lol:

18. Dilligaf666

Dilligaf666 Member

A very recent convert to this game as well.
    ( must be the NMS effect)
    Bought a cheap ($85) HOTAS and am really pleased with the experience.
    Watched a bit of Youtube to see some hints...
    Died a couple of times and am still finding my feet - mainly doing missions from the stations

19. splbound

splbound Member

Damn would have loved to have instant transfer.

The way I see it, its a game and should be fun not some self imposed wait fest. Shame as I can only allocate x amount of elite fun time per day otherwise ... life.

How about having tiered delivery times given x amount of credits needed e.g. express, first class, second class, DHL, Australia post ....

Either way it's good ship gets transferred.

20. Zee

Zee Member

The issue is it makes the trave aspect pointless - why can my FDL magically appear 400LY away, yet it takes me 45 minutes to cross the bubble? Why can't I hitch a ride?

It also makes ganking a bit too easy. Honestly though, there are better ways to improve fun. I've seen a suggestions of the ability to check all missions for factions within 50 light years for rewards - eg, if you need unobtanium X, there is mission 40 LY away that will give it to you.

Waiting 5-100 minutes for a ship is nothing compared to trying to find some of the engineers required stuff...

Z...