Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

Well just got my new monitor and HOTAS.....looks like the it's take away for dinner, and my long week end is sorted:wired::lol:

Only just had a quick training mission with the HOTAS, bit of a learning curve, BUT the ship seems to come alive, even with trying to learn the buttons:weirdo:

2. Sledge

Sledge Member

So when i buy this is the season pass worth it?
    Does it mean i don't get to experience any of this without it?
    Code:
    2.0 – Planetary Landings
    Available Now
    A whole new angle on the galaxy. Journey from the stars to the surfaces of strange worlds, and hit the ground running in the new Scarab Surface Recon Vehicle.

2.1 – The Engineers
    Available Now
    Introducing an all-new mission system and game-changing loot. Craft exotic weapons and modules for your spacecraft and build a ship unlike any other.

2.2 – The Guardians
    Available Now
    Take what comes and strike back with double. Bring a second ship to every combat encounter with Ship-Launched Fighters.

2.3 – The Commanders
    Available Now
    Team up and take on the galaxy. Forge your own identity with the new Commander Creator, then share your bridge with Multi-Crew and fly with friends.

2.4 – The Return
    Available Now
    Continuing and concluding the Horizons season with ongoing story events that will see commanders engage in combat with Thargoid ships for the first time in decades. The Elite Dangerous galaxy will never be the same again.
    When's the next sale anyway :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  3. samus

samus Member

Honestly, I get more enjoyment out of the "standard" game then any expansion stuff. Pick it up on sale, it's 50% off sometimes. But you are essentially correct. I bought it more to support Frontier than anything else.

M.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

The planetary stuff, mission variety, crafting and ship launched fighters is pretty good but not needed for new players starting out - can always grab later.

5. joerandom

joerandom Member

I see you have a 1080Ti, it runs beautifully? do you supersample or set HMD resolution up? I can't seem to run anything over 1.0x on the rift CV1 without major stutters.
    I have 1070 EVGA superclocked then clocked some more to match 1080 FE benchies. I run it on my monitor at 4k ultra 130FPS solid.
    But it struggles in VR, specs say Rift uses less bandwidth than 4k 60hz+ so fucks me what is the problem!

However i do agree, it looks amazing in VR, wow you get NO idea what the cockpit it actually like on a monitor.

Unrelated topic, i'm finding simple one jump passenger transport jobs for over 100 million credits. Is this a bug?
    I bought an Anaconda and a Python in 2 hours.

6. joerandom

joerandom Member

7. Zee

Zee Member

Latest patch notes - seems that the damage of AX Missiles has gone from 0.05 to 0.001(!!!!!!). Thargs will be un-killable again!

I had a little giggle, though...

Top combat pilots in ED
    "Hey FD, we can solo kill these guys now, they are too easy"

FD
    "Hold my beer..."

Z...

8. warrenr

warrenr Member

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Elite: Dangerous news/roadmap for 2018 at Frontier Expo '17 stream:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5c-uTYWrZ0&t=3h3m30s

• 4 x content updates coming 2018.
    • Many QOL improvements and revision of existing core also coming.
    • Engineering improvements, always a positive roll instead of a possible negative RNG.
    • System authority improvements and crime/punishment upgrades to manage player crime.
    • Trade data improvements for more real-time data in game.
    • Harder wing missions for group challenges.
    • Asset polish including planet colour variations and detail changes.
    • Narrative improvements, including personal story/unlocks of new modules.
    • More guardian stuff is coming.
    • More ships coming including new Alliance attack ships and the "Krait" from the original 80's game, also more alliance ships promised including the Type-10 defender.
    • Galnet audio TTS playback coming to hear in-game news in your cockpit while flying.
    • Squadrons are coming (Guilds) with galaxy wide comms and more, as well as the ability to purchase their own fleet carriers, which are large mobile dockable ships for refuel/rearm and more.
    • Mining improvements including new tools for detection and extraction.
    • New planet surfaces coming for planetary landing/exploration including ice/snow.
    • New exploration content to be found including new anomalies to find.
    • New codex will log all discoveries and also server as an encyclopedia reference as well as hint at other potential discoveries for explorers.
    • A lot more yet to be announced about new 3.0 DLC season called "Beyond".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  10. Zee

Zee Member

I'm quite positive about this update - looks like FD are finally going to knuckle down and get the foundations of the game working properly, a good thing as I was getting to the stage of not wanting to log in anymore. Not that that's a bad thing, I've gotten nearly 2000 hours form this game, so a bloody good return, though knowing that there are fundamental improvements coming to bring it in line with their original vision is very promising.

Looking forward to 2018. For anyone on the fence, I'd say it is a good time to buy in, by the time the first of the updates drop, you'll be in a position to start taking advantage.

Z...

11. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

I set the in-game SS to 1.3 and HMD to 1.5. I'm still playing with various other high to ultra settings but I get constant 90 fps in space and fluctuating 90-45(ASW) on planets and in space stations.

I really don't see any difference at all with ASW in this game when its on. No stutter or judder at all.

12. Zee

Zee Member

Do you have Dr. Kaii's ED Profiler tool? There is a "getting the best from" thread here.

Well worth it whether you have VR or not.

Z...

13. adz

adz Member

I've sunk around 60 hours into this game so far and am loving every minute of it, plus I can finally use my HOTAS and pedals in a game other people I know actually play (ever tried to convince a mate to play Falcon BMS?). Right now I'm just doing passenger runs between Rhea and LQ Hydrea as it's a good way for a n00b to make some quick cash, there's also an engineer nearby with a penchant for astonomical data, so I should be able to customise my ships quite a bit.

14. Duff Man

Duff Man Member

I have used it. Mainly for the spiritual teal cockpit colours as I find they work best for VR.

I am having issues currently though as I moved my whole Oculus games install to another drive and ED Profiler won't let me choose the EDLaunch command from that drive. It says I have to choose it from another location everytime:confused:

15. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

16. joerandom

joerandom Member

Thanks, i ended up buying a 1080Ti anyway. haha.

17. adz

adz Member

Well, I'm 155 hours in now, still enjoying the game (not keen on playing anything else), so far I've managed to aquire a Cobra Mk3, Vulture, Diamondback Explorer, ASP Explorer, Python and an Anaconda. I've also owned a Eagle, Type-6, Type-7 and several Sidewinders. The Anaconda is my most recent purchase, but so far I've not really enjoyed the experience, it's weaponry is very powerful, but it is quite cumbersome and getting it through the mail slot without bumping something can be a challenge, I still need to spec up it's thrusters and reactor (another $200mil), so it might fly nicer then.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

You just need to get used to flying big heavy ships with 1000's of tonnes in weight. Although I do prefer other ships for combat over the Anaconda, but it's big jump range is great for exploration, bulk trading and passenger work. Also mining. The Corvette is by far the best ship for combat of the big 3 - it's way more agile and weapon placement locations, the rep grind is painful though.

Don't forget crafted Engineering mods can help mitigate certain design restrictions, such as thrusters, power and jump range - without the need for large amounts of cash (if you have the Horizons expansion).

19. adz

adz Member

That be true, I only bought the Anaconda two days ago so I do need to give it more time. I've engineered both the ASP Explorer and Python, but I need to get some more materials before I visit the Engineers again. I'm also slowly grinding the Federation ranks (currently a 95% Ensign) as the Corvette is certainly what I am aiming for.

20. Sledge

Sledge Member

But.. but.. there is no weight in space ??

I really should get into this.. bought it in the last sale...

Ahh crud... ANOTHER password to remember etc