Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Suntzu

Suntzu Member

I have of of the original X 55 from Saitek. The layout is good and it is fantastic to use. However the switch quality is extremely low and I've already had repaired once. The switches are starting to go a second time. It's really good unit because I use it using the HTC vive VR system so you can memorise the layout. But I would never buy another Saitek product again. It's a pity because it meets the right price point for performance. I understand Logitech now own them but I wouldn't touch this until it's confirmed that Logitech are actually building them. Otherwise the X 52 is the right advice from frag. The X 56 is exactly the same as the 55 but it's got extra sexy RGB or something.

2. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro + CH Pro Throttle for HOTAS which isn't as expensive as some setups.
    I hear Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS isn't bad entry level HOTAS if you don't want to commit too much $$.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. im late

im late Member

Thanks, and yep complete ED newbie here.

4. im late

im late Member

Being a newbie I did not really want to spend X52 price, but thought around the $100 for entry is ok for me. I went with this for $119:

https://www.ple.com.au/Products/630591/Thrustmaster-TFlight-HOTAS-One-Joystick-For-PC--Xbox-One

Now to skim through this thread and learn, cheers guys. :thumbup:

5. Frag

Frag Member

It will get the job done :) add me in steam "Frag" (exploding head pic). I can give you a hand getting some seed money etc. Heap of you tube vids to get you started on the basics as well, welcome to space haha

6. im late

im late Member

Haha cheers mate will do. :thumbup:

7. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

almost everyone uses the $50-100 thrustmaster/logitech cheapo flight sticks.

You have to really enjoy ED to invest $3k worth of flight sticks/pedals/VR/etc

Then again plenty of ED users have 3000+ hours.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  8. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

The limited amount of buttons/switches on the cheaper models will have you reaching for the keyboard for all kinds of things, recommend you check out VoiceAttack you can setup for voice activated keybinds, macros and audio/tts responses (works with anything including Elite). Great for immersion, also a must when using VR where keyboards are near-impossible to use. https://voiceattack.com/

Also, Voice packs for VoiceAttack are a thing: https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/

Frag likes this.
  9. Nerb

Nerb Member

Come back in 20 or 30 hours and let us know how you went as a new player. I got over the grind-to-no-where in that game pretty quick... hoping there will be some type of story added at some point.
    I also use an X55, but I think any cheap joystick would be fine. You dont need many buttons.
    Edit: I use a head tracker too.

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Anyone who burns out early is either not a fan of slow-burn/mmo style grind for gear/progression type games or isn't sure of what there is to do in a giant sandbox game with little to no hand-holding on what to do next. Recommend you read up on some beginner guides about all the things do and tools to use, like this one: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351591701

Also keep up with the playerbase community either on the official forums, reddit or large player groups like Mobius for lots of tips, group-ups, discord and other community interaction.

11. Zee

Zee Member

How much do you want to spend?

I'm running a Virpil T50 with a Warthog grip, and I have a Virpil WarBRD on the way. I use a VKB T-ruddner MKIII for pedals, and a CH Pro throttle (though I'll be ordering the Virpil T50 throttle once the thumbstick version is out).

Whilst some may say you need to be committed to spend that sort of cash, I'd argue I also play DCS.

I've been through a few sticks now - the Logitech 3D pro, Thrutmaster T16000M, Warthog (Full set up)...

My personal opinion is that it's worth spending th emoney on good gear to begin with - if you are still into it after about 20-30 hours. The CH Pro throttle, and arguably the hrustmaster throttle paired with the T16000M are probably the best throttle you can get for ED. The Warthog throttle sucks for ED, it's set up specifically for flying a Warthog, and there are to many flick switches that can't really be properly bounf with ED, and no good analog stick formaneuvering thrusters.

The TM FCS throttle has htis at the index finger tip, and the CH Pro has it at the thumb.

The T16000M *would* be, hands down, the best bang for buck stick for ED, except there are 6 buttons wasted on the base, where youcan't properly use them, and a lack of buttons on the stick itself.

Twist is meh for me, I far prefer rudder pedals, but the T16000M does have a twist, and the new Virpil space sime stick has a built in twist.

To "get a feel", I'd be looking at a second hand Thrustmasdter T.Flight Hotas thing, then, if you are liking it, sell the T;Flight and upgrade to properly good gear (Think Virpil or VKB), and if not, sell the cheap hotas anyway, and you'll have lost no money on it.

Actually, I've got a T16000M that I was starting to mod, but never actually finished it. It's in pieces, but if you're willing to put it back together, it's yours - just pick up or pay for shipping.

Z...

12. Dav1th

Dav1th Member

I use a logitech X-56 and find the extra analogue thumb sticks to be invaluable, I use the one on the throttle for thrusters and the one on the joystick to look around and don't think I could switch to any other stick that didn't have them for E : D.

Which is a shame because even though I have the latest revision released early - mid this year with supposedly improved QC and reliability I can confirm it's just as prone to phantom button pushes as the old versions (my landing gear and cargo scoop deploy themselves CONSTANTLY), the joystick analogue stick stick when moved to the down position and doesn't spring back and after a few months of E : D the twist on the joystick squeaks so loudly I'm scared people in the next room are going to complain.

This one will be going back for warranty when I get around to it but I'm sure the replacement will be the same... It's a real shame Logitech just can't seem to iron out the bugs on what would otherwise be a fantastic product.

13. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

After a few years now I find the quality and durability of the $199 CH Pro Throttle to be exceptional (although it has no base switches and is designed for never taking your hand off the throttle) which is fine for VR, I agree the analog thumb stick is invaluable for fine vertical and lateral thruster control maneuvers.

I am yet to find an good independant stick (with z-twist) that has more right-hand available controls than the $53 3D Extreme Pro (6 buttons + hat all on the stick)

1000+ hours played! :Paranoid:

im late likes this.
  14. im late

im late Member

Thanks for the offer and info. I don't mind paying $119 for the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS One. That is the sort of coin I would invest in a game I am just starting out on. Happy to pay more and upgrade if it came that way.

15. Nerb

Nerb Member

I recognise that different people like different games and I really thought I would like this one. Im one of those guys that played 400 hours of fallouts/skyrim/oblivion/morrowind without using fast travel (that immersion breaking cheat tool ;P), and im a big dcs fan. In direct comparrison, I really like No Mans Sky... its much the same game but a bit more cartoonie, however there is that really enjoyable little story which I think makes all the difference.

I find ED just empty. There are not really new places to explore, just new names. Playing a game simply to make money for bigger ships doesnt cut it for me. Its comparrison to euro truck simulator is accurate, but with no destination. I think it needs much varied landscapes or a goal. I was looking forward to flying around ruined cities on earth... maybe when that happens I'll get back into it.
    I have 71 hours in ED according to steam

PS... thats why Im interested to see what Mr Late thinks after a few dozen hours as a new player.

16. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

Well the two games are really nothing alike, NMS is completely procedurally generated and has a bare-bones arcadey ship flight model/low combat skill required with ships that autoland, impossible to crash, etc - it is more focused as a walking around survival/crafting game on alien planets, whereas Elite is all about the ships, the flight model and the skill required to fly the ships, complicated combat and pvp, the customisation and engineering of said ships to improve them and the things you can do to earn more money, ranking and reputation to improve/replace said ships and modules for better ones - in a fixed always-online galaxy that is constantly background simulated.

That being said, I've always said Elite could definitely benefit from more pop-up storylines and narratives quests that help lead players to many things that are happening around the place to explore like the abandoned generation ghost-ships, the mysterious ancient alien archaeological sites with hidden technology, the political jostling of the major and minor factions, the progressive Thargoid invasion on the edge of human space and the affected facilities in space and on the ground and so on. There is a lot of voice acting and story content embedded in to these, but a lot of this is hidden within the Galnet feed at the moment, which requires players to read and discern for themselves - or read up about discoveries players have published on community sites (which is why I encourage people to visit them).

A lot people today think Elite is just about doing missions but other sandbox activities include Bounty Hunting, Smuggling, Exploration, Trading, Mining, Pirating, Scavenging, Passenger Transport, Rescue & Recovery, Fossicking, Engineering, Powerplay and Alien Hunting - all help in generating cash and rep, without any missions/quests telling you what to do next.

Hopefully more content and changes will be forthcoming in the next content updates they are promising, Squadrons (guilds) with their own capital ship bases and atmospheric planets is the next rumored milestones.

17. Frag

Frag Member

You're in space, in a space ship. What more do you want! Its not a game for everyone that is for sure and there are frustrating things if you make it a grind.. but if you just enjoy being in space its pretty damn addictive :)

Also adding a comparison to NMS shows that you just like a different thing.

ED will not hold your hand, it is up to you like in real life to choose what you do. You can explore (some people love it), pirate, combat, Xeno hunt, trade or just do what you want at a whim (which is me).

Its not for everyone and I completely understand that, after 1000hrs I took 2 years off and now spent another 200+ hrs in it :) Just enjoy chilling in space, if I am not in a wing I'll throw on a good play list or audio book and relax. :)

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The grind is addictive. The entire game is "I'm going to work to get this, and then i'll have fun"

But the fun never really comes.

I'm not saying its a bad game overall, there is some enjoyment to flying around in space, but there really isn't anything fun to do and there aren't many satisfying PVE or PVP situations that arise.

19. Sphinx

Sphinx Member

So you have done this then? :p

20. Nerb

Nerb Member

From your description, the two games sound exactly the same, but one arcadey and one with flight models. But NMS has a story, ED is a stock market.
    NMS and ED are both proceduraly generated and stored. No difference there.
    Although I did not explore the whole galaxy in 71 hours (obviously), I tried trading (including the 90 minute trip to Hutton Orbital listening to galnet over and over all the way there), mining, exploring and combat, first in a vulture and later in a federal assault ship. So the very limited ship customisation (in fact there is more customisation in NMS), ranks and reputation, learning how to fly and fight etc isnt a problem.... the problem is "to what end"?
    I even trucked federation cargo for merits for a while with the powerplay thing (which could actually be interesting with a big group), got my sol ticket and visited earth.
    So its not like I dont know how the game works. It just needs more. Build a wormhole from the industrial zone to the war front with the thargoids and earn a military pass for access and a cost to keep the supply line stocked. Add life to planets. Add a shit ton more customisations to ships.
    Anyway, it is what it is and I'll keep my eye on it. Its just not interesting enough for me yet.