Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by steveobhave, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Hmm i really want to leave the bubble and maybe spend some time in Colonia.

Haven't done a long trip yet.

This screenshot at Jameson crash site. Now that memorial station makes sense at the founder's world.

[​IMG]

Also ran into one of these guys at the Bug Killer crash site.

[​IMG]

Sphinx2000 likes this.
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Pinkeh likes this.
  3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Can this be played single player, seems to be a lot of complaints about cheating in mulitplayer on steam ATM?

4. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

You have to be online, but you can play in a solo session no problems.

I need to get back into it but my joystick is trash, waiting patiently for a Thrustmaster T.16000 HOTAS setup to come on sale.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yeah, you can play either solo mode and all other ships are NPCs, in a private mode with a group of friends and the rest NPCs, or open mode with random players and NPC ships combined. You can exit and switch to either mode each time you login and your ship will be in the same place.

PVP is available in all areas in Open, unless your right next to a station or other facility, but space cops do show up after a minute or so if you are attacked unlawfully in colonised space now - and there is a karma system that is painful to get rid of if your a dick. If your ship blows up you pay 5% of its total value in insurance re-buy and get it back with all the same options fitted. Never fly without enough for re-buy in the bank.

Recommend a joystick or controller if you have one (but not mandatory), HOTAS is even better.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Pinkeh likes this.
  6. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

You are always connected to the server, but there are three modes you can pick

I only play solo mode. It's you vs NPCs only. Community goals or whatever it is called now can be affected by other players though.

There is a private mode you can just play with your friends

Open is for the brave. Complaints on steam are people in this mode.
    Some people swear by playing open only. Then they cry when they get ganked. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've use the logitech extreme 3d (cheap affordable) for about 3000 hours. I think i got it for <$50, but i've seen it on sale at retail for <$30.
    https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/products/gamepads/extreme-3d-pro-joystick.html

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Sphinx2000 likes this.
  7. XanaTos

XanaTos Member

This in game play? This looks really nice if it is.

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yup. Their engine graphics had a lighting update recently.

9. Zee

Zee Member

I'm an open only person, once you've been in the game long enough, you can spot a gank from a mile off. Nothing is as salty as the tears of a gank that has been denied their gank.

Z...

10. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Honestly after 4.0 i made so much money it doesn't hurt to lose a ship or two.

I've been kitting out an Anaconda for deep space exploration but at some point i lost interest again and just went back to mining in my flagship cutter.

With the state of mining right now you could make about 10 billion a month playing a few hours a night, maybe a few times a week. PS: You don't need to make this much. Just your first billion is enough to get you to Elite.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  11. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Have to say faction ranking is lot easier now. Did Fed in a few days just doing rescue missions with my python in the evenings for a couple of hours.
    Took weeks of courier missions to get Imp rank a couple of years ago.
    Can't afford a Corvette though, still haven't even finished kitting out my Cutter. One module costs nearly as much as the whole ship. :(

12. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Yeah my cutter is worth nearly a billion i think. The primatic 8A shield was very expensive. But i usually just use a 6A prismatic since the two class 8 slots i use as cargo for 512 tonnes.

If u are strapped for cash, strip mine painite or low temperature diamonds :D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  13. summoner

summoner Member

So best to start up in solo mode to get a bunch of $ then venture into open mode for the fun danger/etc of it all?

14. Xenomorph

Xenomorph Member

Yeah, been meaning to try out the new mining gameplay.
    Void opals seem pretty good earners at 1.6m.

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

both are viable. painite is better for those with access to larger ships and don't mind laser mining.

the only rule of thumb is to fly with enough cash for a rebuy. whichever mode you wish to do is up to you.

there are still dangers in solo - like flying too close to a star, then overheat, then explode.

Or more common for new commanders.... running out of fuel miscalculating the distance of the nearest fuel star, but fortunately there are community groups like the fuel rats so you can ask for help.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  16. Nerb

Nerb Member

I wouldnt panic. Ive only ever played open and in 150 hours ive seen about 5 actual human players all of which just went about doing there own business. The universe is big enough to stay left alone... unless youre hanging about community goals I guess?

17. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

New players get their own system too, so try open.

18. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

New megaship "Fleet Carriers" for guilds to use as mobile bases of operations, coming in December 2019 update.
    They will feature capital class jump drives that can jump to systems at any time but will consume resources that will need to be supplied first.

Teaser:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  19. summoner

summoner Member

Well took the plunge and grabbed the humble bundle special for the game so will install when i get home. Fortunately decided to knock off early today anyway.

Work college advised this was best way to do it so I can actually land on planets etc.. something I didn't realise wasn't possible with just the base version..

Are guilds/clans/etc a thing in this game?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  20. War1910

War1910 Member

As long as you have the Horizons expansion, you can :) Just make sure that's part of the bundle, because it is well worth it IMO. being able to see ruins etc. is a highlight.

Plus if you have VR, it makes things sooooooooo much better!

summoner likes this.