Elstado's Logitech MX-518 review *warning: 640x480 res pics inside*

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by elstado, May 18, 2009.

1. elstado

elstado Member

Hi all,

Just got a new Logitech MX-518 to replace my aging Razer Krait, have been after a larger mouse for a while and didn't want to spend big $$'s to get something decent, so the MX-518 was the best bet. For $39 (MSY, PCCG etc do it at this price) you can't go wrong.

Here's my thoughts and first impressions.

Packaging: Well packaged, both aesthetically and structurally. The mouse was encased in a plastic shell and the box has specs and sales spiel on it detailing how good the mouse is.

[​IMG]

The mouse:

[​IMG]

This mouse is much larger and differently shaped to my old Krait, although it feels a bit weird to use after using the Krait for a couple of years.

[​IMG]

It is very comfortable and the large feet help keep movement smooth and controlled. It has heaps of buttons on it, all of which are comfortably placed and easy to use.

[​IMG]

The software:

The Logitech setpoint software installed without a hitch, though I did notice it seemed to stall a bit when installing and took a while to finish, about 5 minutes all up which is a while for mouse software.

There are all the basic options, such as sensitivity, button configuration etc etc. All very easy to configure and customise to my tastes/needs.

[​IMG]

It even has a "gamer" mode and sensitivity setting, however I haven't really played around with that too much, I am going to just get used to it and then tweak it to my exact needs.

[​IMG]

Conclusion:

Overall I am very happy with this mouse, it looks pretty good (the dented style looks better in RL than in the pics, and they are only a design, not actually dented), it is smooth, comfortable, fast, reasonably accurate and has lots of customisable buttons and settings. For people (read: blokes) with largish hands like I do, this mouse is just the right size too.

The only thing I don't like too much about it so far is that the optical sensor feels a little inaccurate, and I am having issues pin-pointing things at times, however this may just be me getting used to the new feel, as the Krait was much small and had a laser sensor.

For the price (around $40 at most places), you really cant get any better than this, sure more expensive mice may be better, have more features etc.. but for the gamer, or even normal user, on a budget and still wants a decent mouse, this is the best bet.

My rating: 8/10 and I highly recommend. :thumbup:

Hope this helps anyone out there considering a MX-518 or looking for a decent mouse on a budget! :D

2. standby.

standby. Member

I used to have this mouse, its a awesome mouse
    I had it a few years back but i upgraded to the Logitech G5 since my stupid brother snapped the USB cord

3. Great_Guru

Great_Guru Member

Never mind me 518's aren't weighted, but still a great mouse :)

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  4. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Pretty sure the MX518 never had weights... perhaps you're referring to the G5?

I have 5 x MX518s lol They have by far been the most comfortable gaming mouses I've ever used.

The reason I prefer these over newer the newer gaming mouses is because these work so perfectly without having to install the logitech software, which works out great for lanning competitions where you're not allowed to install such software.

5. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

I was considering getting a G5 but honestly couldn't justify the cost, considering the MX-518 is pretty much a basic version of the G5 without a few fancy features. :thumbup:

6. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

Would you mind measuring the size of the mouse?

In the market for a big mouse for gaming.

7. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

No probs.

*Pulls out trusty tape measure*

It's about 125mm long, 65mm wide at the finger and rear areas, and about 70mm wide in the middle, palm area.

I am a 21 y.o. guy with fairly large hands, though dainty as I'm no labourer, so this mouse fits nicely into my hand.

8. Hooti3

Hooti3 Member

ohh cool thanks.

Thats about the size of my mouse now.

I need bigger :(

9. silverbullet

silverbullet Member

They've changed the feet on that mouse, they used to be little ones, still got my 4 year old mx 518, tis a wonderful mouse.

10. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

Yeah they are much bigger and smoother now. :thumbup:

Still a great mouse!

11. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

May I ask what SetPoint version you have? I have the latest one but my Advanced Gaming Settings does not look anything like yours.

12. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

4.24a

Just came on the disk that came with the mouse.

What's the latest?

13. Frontl1ne

Frontl1ne Member

Ah ok, that explains it :)

SetPoint 4.72 is the latest. It doesn't have seperate X/Y sensitivity configurations though.:thumbdn:

14. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

In that case I won't bother upgrading. :thumbup:

Ed: Omg... binding keystrokes to the side buttons.. so awesome. I run dual monitors and have a program that binds keyboard shortcuts to swapping windows to each monitor, now all I have to do it point and click on any window and it will switch to the next monitor. So awesome.

15. Deadshot_80

Deadshot_80 Member

I have the same mouse right now, does anyone else get this problem that i have? Every time that I rest my finger on the right clicker it just goes down? and I'm not even putting much wight down.

16. OP
    OP
    elstado

elstado Member

Nope, my buttons are quite sturdy though responsive at the same time. Maybe it's how you are holding your hand on it/gripping it, or maybe the buttons spring or whatever it is is gone. How old is it?

17. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

i own 3 of these mice, and they are the best mice ever made..:D

18. Buzz*

Buzz* Member

Thanks for the review, you've got me all set on one for my next birthday present :p

19. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

I'm using one atm, they are old mice, but can be had for cheap these days.

20. loupseul

loupseul Member

Wow did they change the mouse feet? I remember it had like 5 small oval mouse feet, but now it looks like the mouse feet are similar to that of the G5.