elvis' big fat Free Software / Linux 101 sticky thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, Dec 8, 2008.

1. stmok

stmok Member

For those who want to familiarise themselves or become proficient with the command line.
    => http://linuxcommand.org/

The author has also created a 500-page book called The Linux® Command Line in PDF form.
    => http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
    ...There's also the printed version for US$24.95

2. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

KOffice is now know as the Calligra Suite.

http://www.calligra-suite.org/

It features:

Words: Word processor (similar to Microsoft Word, Open Office Writer)

Tables: Spreadsheet (similar to Microsoft Excel, Open Office calc)

Stage: Presentation software (similar to Microsoft Powerpoint, Open Office Presentation, Apple Keynote)

Kexi: simple database tool (similar to Microsoft Access)

Plan: Project Planning (similar to Microsoft Project)

Flow: Flowcharting and diagrams (similar to Visio)

Karbon: Vector image editor (similar to Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Corel Draw)

Krita: Raster image editor (similar to Adobe Photoshop, GIMP)

4. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

That's rather interesting - differentiating themselves from KDE some more... not even bothering to spell Calligra with a K

It's not a bad idea imo, the suite has enormous value outside the KDE "subsystem" (for lack of a better word) -

5. slobber

slobber Member

I dl'd the RCI last night :thumbup:

Ooops wrong..............I dl'd LibreOffice :o

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. Kie

Kie Member

Excellent couple of pages of reading there elvis. Very informative for me personally as I'm only slightly IT savvy, so it connected a few dots for me :thumbup::thumbup:

7. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Inspired me to give Linux a whirl.

I quite computers/windows/technology proficient (..to say the least :Paranoid:)

Anway; I've had a G4 Powermac here for ages; doing nothing. So I'm installing Ubuntu on it as we speak!

What has got this all started is a disk failure at work, I'd like to experiment with some stuff like rsync and ssh at home so I'd thought this rig would more than do the job.

Any pointers toward some reading matter?

EDIT: Installed straight off the LiveCD. Typing from the G4!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  8. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

A lot of the technical blogs provide some great reading and general ideas. Try OMG! Ubuntu!, Tombuntu, and a shameless plug for my own personal blog.

Twas easy, wasn't it? Everything else is easy too, if you approach it with an open and logical mind and not apply too much of what you've learned in the Windows world.

Setting up stuff is literally the best way to learn about Linux, so here's some educational tasks you can set yourself:
    • Setup a web server and put a Wordpress blog on it
    • Setup a DNS server
    • Setup a DHCP server
    • Use Linux to access/fix a broken Windows system
    • Setup a file server with RAID and/or LVM

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Perfect, just what I was looking for there Hyrax.

Looks like its cigarettes at the computer tonight!

10. nucence

nucence Member

Just wondering what would be an equivalent software to Quicken/MYOB and able to run on Ubuntu?

I am slowly converting my machines and server over to Ubuntu and this is the only problem i can see at the moment.

I have had a look around and there are a few options, but was wondering what the most popular and used programs are.

Cheers
    Michael

11. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

12. OP
    OP
    elvis

If anyone feels like putting this in the OCAU wiki, please go ahead. I have zero time to myself these days, but feel it should be somewhere where other people can edit it and keep it up to date (a quick glance through the first few pages of posts show just how far out of date some of the information is).

13. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

Came across this today which might be useful for someone.

ddar is a free de-duplicating archiver for Unix. Save space, bandwidth and time by storing duplicate regions of data only once. Use ddar to:

Back up local data to a remote server, each time saving space, upload bandwidth and time by only transferring data not already present on the remote server. This is what cloud backup services like Tarsnap allow you to do already. Now you can use your own storage and internal bandwidth to achieve the same thing.

Back up remote data to a local disk, downloading and storing only changed data each time (the inverse of the above).

Back up local data to a local external disk, each time saving time and space by only writing data that was not present on the disk already. I have six gzipped tarballs of around 50 GiB each of my laptop stored on my external disk, but all together they are only using 64 GiB of storage.

Efficiently store any data that has redundancy. ddar will exploit redundancy across different files stored at any time.

http://www.synctus.com/ddar/

14. nucence

nucence Member

Thanks ^catalyst, i will check it out over the weekend, i have changed my plans now and bought a whole new gaming rig and am running win 7 so therefore i might keep my quickbooks.

15. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Having some difficulty with the G4, so I've gone all VM. Just got the whole WordPress shebang going withing Ubuntu 10.10 via vmware player.

Quite entertaining really :)

Not sure how the DNS/DHCP will go thru the VM- But I've got a feeling I'll have an intel mac spare in the near future... :D

And nuence; sounds like a double win. Keep your current software / play some team fortress :D

16. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you choose a bridged network setup, then any VM will listen on the same broadcast and respond accordingly.

My wife runs Ubuntu 10.10 on her laptop, with WinXP inside VirtualBox for her MYOB work. The WinXP VM happily sees our home DHCP and DNS server.

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Well, I just tried that and its broken Wordpress; re-setup wordpress and now its half working but failing after timing out trying to point to the old ip address...

Hrmpf, the html code references the old address; I think I see what happened.

edit: fixed.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  18. OP
    OP
    elvis

That's not the fault of either Linux nor DHCP. ;)

19. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Oh I'm aware of that, I'm quite a handy windows / network tech so I get what it all does.

The thing is the wordpress config seemingly relies on the URL you have in the address bar while it configures the wp-config.php. So, say you point your browser to localhost... You can guess what happens.

So, re-doing the wordpress install / clearing the old sql stuff with the browser pointing to 192.168.0.12 (VM's IP) then doing it solves the issue. I suppose when its on a remote server it makes sense as you'll have the correct address in the bar.

20. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Laughed out loud at that - I'm not a handy windows/network tech, so I did originally and n00bishly pointed my first WP setup to localhost.

Hilarity ensued.