elvis' big fat Free Software / Linux 101 sticky thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Captain Kidd

Captain Kidd Member

Thankyou, you have taught me so much :)

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah it had me a little confused; you'd hit up the front page of the wp blog but hit any links and it all went to shit!

3. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nice. I'll be trying that myself, I think. I've got a small business client of mine using snapshot:

http://www.rsnapshot.org/

It's better for online storage (snapshots are exported read-only via NFS/Samba for users to self-manage restores), but for long term, offsite storage, it is limited compared to ddar.

No worries. I genuinely hope it's demystified a few things for a few people, and maybe even lowered that first learning step a little for some.

Linux can be a scary world for people who've never seen it before, but it's great fun (and highly productive) if you can get past that first hurdle.

4. Orphan

Orphan Member

Thanks for posting all that elvis. I will be giving Linux a go on my old HDD as it is something I will need to learn to use well in the future.

5. hollstar

hollstar Member

Elvis,

When you first posted these comments, it was back in 2008. I'm interested to know if you'd still use these same things or something else.

I guess what I'm driving at here is I'd like to replace a clients failing SBS 2003 set up with a Linux based one. Aside from the standard File & Print duties, we need to replace the Exchange component of SBS and ensure users can still access email on their iPhone and Calendars as well.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

These days I just roll out Zimbra open source edition. Simple install process, and you've got a functional Exchange replacement in minutes. Zimbra's mobile interface is quite nice too. Looks and works great on my Android phone.

Likewise I've mentioned OpenLDAP and Kerberos before as centralised authentication. Now I just use FreeIPA. Again, all open source, and you end up with a functional equivalent with a nice management GUI in minutes.

It's all starting to become rather trivial to run an open source business these days. :)

7. hollstar

hollstar Member

Thanks Elvis - Just looking at the Zimbra Comparison, I'm assuming you're using Outlook & IMAP for Email (likewise on the iPhone), and the iCal/CalDAV & CardDAV for Calendar and Contacts again in both Outlook and the iPhone?

Not being familiar with those, I'm a little concerned about the sync between Outlook for the Calendar and Contacts and if the Open Source Edition can handle it?

I was also reading that they recommend Zimbra is essentially the only thing installed on the server. Whats you're take on that and running say Samba as well? Seems a little silly/overkill to virtual one or the other?

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you want full sync with various phones, the pay-for version has the mobile phone connector licenses per user to deal with all of that. I personally am OK with just doing everything through the mobile web interface, but again some users want that full integration with the phone's calendar and contacts, which is where you have to pay a license.

Yes, there's the CalDAV/CardDAV stuff too if you want to try that out in the free version. I haven't used it myself (once again, I don't need that feature, and the only places I've rolled it out that have en mass have paid for support anyway in commercial version that comes with the proprietary phone sync licenses).

It really depends on how many users you have on the system. Zimbra has pretty amazing indexing thanks to it's database backend, and even with 50-100 users you want some beefy disk and memory on your box to ensure things are nice and zippy.

Sure, you can load up extra services on the same box. Nothing stopping you doing that. But as usual it boils down to how much money you have for hardware, how many users you have, and if you can deal with everything in your organisation being down when one box goes bang.

9. hollstar

hollstar Member

Thanks again Elvis, appreciate your depth of knowledge.

The client I have is using SBS 2003 and only has about ten users. Since I'm replacing Exchange, I need to ensure we tick all those same boxes. Whilst Zimbra (Commercial) will do that, I'd like a no cost solution if at all possible?

What else are you aware of that will provide greater integration for calendar, contacts and of course email?

Footnote: This will be (if they agree after testing) my first client I move away from a Microsoft solution so I'm keen to not only get the right Linux tools, but move forward applying what I learn to other clients.

10. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

You'd probably be better off (and more on topic) asking in this thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=958515
    (Elvis' Enormous Virtualisation Help Thread)

Or possibly even the Virtualbox thread:
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=927008

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  11. OP
    OP
    elvis

The problem is more on the device side of things. If the device you have supports CalDAV/CardDAV or other contacts and calendar syncing, then you're fine. If not, and they only support Microsoft's proprietary "Active Sync" method, then there's licensing fees involved that you can't escape.

Do you have a standard rollout of phone in your organisation, or is it just a case of staff bringing in whatever they want? I think at this stage your best bet is to set up a VM running Zimbra Open Source Edition ($0) and just test it for yourself.

12. hollstar

hollstar Member

I'm in the process of doing exactly that, but looking at the features the Open Source Edition provides, I thought it might not be the answer. The environment is strictly Outlook and iPhones. I don't believe we'll have anything Android based any time soon if at all.

I guess I was thinking Dovecoat or similar for IMAP since I know that works nicely on the iPhone, upgrade Outlook since older versions seem to struggle with it, and then investigate something to handle the contacts and calendar.

13. OP
    OP
    elvis

If you've standardised on iPhones then it should be OK. They support CalDAV out of the box, I'm pretty sure, so you should have full Calendar sync for free.

Apple have always been big supporters of CalDAV, given that's what iCal and iCal Server were built on.

14. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

+1 for Zimbra here. I've used it in quite a few Enterprises now and its quite good. Again nothing wrong with sendmail/Postfix/Roundcube/Horde/Squirrel combinations etc are very good in their own right. Zimbra is just a little less work to get going and quite easy to manage.

A non open source alternative is Kerio Connect which include licenses for mobile devices etc and is very easy to manage and setup. Ive used it a few times for SMBs with limited budgets that require Blackberry/iPhone/Android/Symbian mail clients.

I've yet to try FreeIPA, I'm still using OpenLDAP and in some cases winbind/Kerberos to AD.

15. KillerBunny

KillerBunny Member

Errr why did my post get deleted?

I had many valid points and wrote a completely coherrent 500 word response to why linux is often NOT the answer for SMB environments. I also have worked in this industry for a while so it is not like I was trolling in the slightest. Poor form. OCAU is over-moderated where is the free speech?

16. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

* it was off topic
    * it was in the wrong section
    So repost your coherent essay in the Windows section.

PS I don't recall this privately owned/run forum with a benevolent dictator having a clause on free speech...

PPS feel free to discuss further with me in PM

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  17. OP
    OP
    elvis

OK, I'm going to put this here because I'm sick of saying it in every second thread.

If you're looking for a 2D raster graphics editing program (something with similar functionality to Photoshop), try Krita.

http://www.krita.org/

Please, for the love of god, can people stop crying about how much GIMP sucks. GIMP is one of dozens of creative content tools under Linux. It's also quite far behind the development curve when it comes to anything outside of 8bit per channel RGB.

If you have needs for greater than 8bit per channel editing, or editing non-RGB (CMYK for example), try Krita. If you have a need for something with a far better selection of default brushes, try Krita.

Krita, Krita, Krita. If I have to hear one more time how GIMP isn't a good alternative to Photoshop, I think I might kick a puppy.

Krita!

18. FalconGT

FalconGT Member

lol, don't blame the puppy tho.

I actually like GIMP ... and I've been getting others used to it at work, once you show them how to manipulate an image, they tend to roll with it anyway.

Been a while since I've looked at Krita, thanks for the reminder, will have to check it out again.

19. OP
    OP
    elvis

I still turn to GIMP for trivial tasks. Cropping/resizing/converting images in JPG format, stuff for simple web images or wallpapers, basic animated GIF stuff, etc.

The comment was more directed at people who have needs outside of what GIMP can achieve, and then complain loudly about the state of Linux graphics when they've only tried one of the dozens of open source graphics apps available. These sorts of comments are far too common on these forums, and quite frankly the ignorance and lack of research is starting to get up my nose.

20. gcflora

gcflora Member

Somewhat related, is darktable which is an alternative for lightroom (and a worthy alternative at that, IMO)