elvis' big fat Free Software / Linux 101 sticky thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, Dec 8, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I hate to say it, but those versions are *very* old, as are their dependencies. You're likely going to get yourself into dependency hell if you try to install from older packages designed for older distros.

And I also hate to say it, but if it were me, I'd be looking to install from source. Again, because you want such old code running on a new distro, it means you're not going to get much help from official packages that are out there.

As it's in a VM, I'd potentially consider digging up an old LTS version (not sure which one - you might have to go way back to 12.04 or 10.04 even) and seeing what came default with those distros. A reminder that they'll be running versions of software that are outdated and potentially dangerous (including old versions of SSL with known exploits).

Compiling from source would be "safer" (at least considering SSL/GnuTLS style libraries and things), but is going to be non-trivial if that's not something you've done before.

I can give you a general guide if you like, if you don't want to explore the "older distro" option.

2. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Yep, Hardinfo is pretty good!

Worth a look at i-nex too, sort of like CPU-Z on Win.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:i-nex-development-team/stable
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install i-nex

3. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

ever use this more recently?

4. OP
    OP
    elvis

Some discussion here:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/reactos.1202621/

I test it out in a VM every few releases. Getting more stable by the day. I don't have any pressing reason to use it day to day (mostly thanks to tools like WINE and Steam Proton), but I can see it being as ubiquitous as DOSBox for non-Linux users in years to come.

5. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Which is amazing considering how much of a moving target Windows is.

6. OP
    OP
    elvis

WINE does a good job of targeting API/ABI versions. So in winecfg you can choose what era of Windows you want WINE to act like.

ReactOS is doing something similar too.

Especially for users of old software, it's now quite common that WINE and ReactOS offer better compatibility with certain legacy Windows applications than currently supported Windows versions do. Quite amazing.

I expect we'll see this sort of thing become common in tools like GoG and Steam in coming years. WINE-on-Windows could even end up being used to run old Windows games no longer compatible with new Windows/DirectX implementations.

7. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I believe there is some cooperation between the two projects on library implementation and other plumbing.

As with the dgVoodoo project which GoG brought onboard to support older graphics API quirks in modern Windows versions. This is already happening on the Linux side, although Windows doesn't really have a port of Wine available yet. I expect BoxedWine to end up as a dead end, but perhaps porting to WSL will be viable.

Of course, I'd really prefer that everyone dump Windows now that 10 has turned out to be the turd that keeps on stinking, but that's likely to be as easy as solving the meth crisis.

8. OP
    OP
    elvis

Yup, there's close collaboration, which is a good thing. But specifically, I think their approach of offering choices of which code base you're targeting is a good idea.

The desired state is to have a completely open source operating system that allows application and drivers to be able to target the Windows version on a case by case basis all in one UI. So you can have a wide selection of software/games/whatever, and each one can be configured to use a specific code path that best suits the era in which it was designed to maximise performance and compatibility.

Windows' self-serving commercial interest will gradually push it to new markets. Mac too. The beauty of open source is exactly that - it's open source, and any group with a specific interest or need can tailor make the software to their exact needs without needing to re-invent the wheel. "Standing on the shoulders of giants", as it were.

Speaking for myself, as die hard software preservationist, open source is the solution to keeping enormous volumes of closed, proprietary software running. There's some incredible irony there, along with a heaping of "I told you so". :)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Had to sub for interest sake...................