elvis' big fat Free Software / Linux 101 sticky thread

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by elvis, Dec 8, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I hate to say it, but those versions are *very* old, as are their dependencies. You're likely going to get yourself into dependency hell if you try to install from older packages designed for older distros.

And I also hate to say it, but if it were me, I'd be looking to install from source. Again, because you want such old code running on a new distro, it means you're not going to get much help from official packages that are out there.

As it's in a VM, I'd potentially consider digging up an old LTS version (not sure which one - you might have to go way back to 12.04 or 10.04 even) and seeing what came default with those distros. A reminder that they'll be running versions of software that are outdated and potentially dangerous (including old versions of SSL with known exploits).

Compiling from source would be "safer" (at least considering SSL/GnuTLS style libraries and things), but is going to be non-trivial if that's not something you've done before.

I can give you a general guide if you like, if you don't want to explore the "older distro" option.

2. von Stalhein

von Stalhein Member

Yep, Hardinfo is pretty good!

Worth a look at i-nex too, sort of like CPU-Z on Win.
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:i-nex-development-team/stable
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install i-nex