email hosting

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by BobJustBob, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

what are some of the "favorite" email hosting services going around these days? (self hosting is out of the question.)

i don't want or need anything above being able to use my own domain. i just want to be able to use thunderbird (or any pop3 email software) and pull down emails sent to that domain.

ie: already have my own domain
    want to be able to send receive emails using that domain.

currently i have a hosting plan that handles it, but it ends later this year and i will not be renewing there. godaddy. need i say more?

however, from what i have already seen via searching, prices for email hosting/services seem insane, relatively speaking. they start at around $5/mo but for that you can get actual hosting. even godaddy has that price for hosting, so if that's the best, just so i can send/receive emails via my own domain, i might as well renew the hosting at that price and if i want to could make websites too.

maybe i'm not understanding something and someone here can set me straight.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes. There's a minimum service and when I looked into it there was no 'el cheapo' email only that looked any good. You don't want to go with something that could disappear overnight, getting a minimum hosting seemed the way to go, for me.

3. Wako

Wako Member

4. mtw

mtw Member

Few that I've seen talked about positively, in no particular order:
    • Fastmail
    • Mailbox.org
    • Zoho Mail
    • ProtonMail
    I saw a good write-up early this year from someone moving away from the GSuite and what they are looking at in a new provider, might be helpful.

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I’m currently using Zoho Mail, no major complaints with it. Not as simple and straightforward as Google Apps, but they do seem to be actively developing the platform.

6. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

i'm investigating the situation and will report back soon...

7. ferretcloud

ferretcloud Member

do you mean configuring , eg smtp and DNS yourself on a remote VPS or hosting the services on your home ISP ?
    i rent a vps for $30AU / yr and have Exim(smtp software) + Bind (dns) running on it.
    It handles my mail perfectly fine.

Imaps / POP3 access
    certbot for certificates... provides the security

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://mailinabox.email/
    https://www.iredmail.org/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Can I ask "why?". What's the advantage to POP3 for your setup? Do you back up client machines? What happens when mail is pulled down to a computer, and the computer's hard disk is damaged?

Have you considered cloud-hosted solutions? Most are cheap, and come with an enormous amount of positive extras like groupware and excellent security settings.

If privacy is concerned, there are several peer-reviewed, trusted providers that offer end-to-end encryption for hosted email:
    https://protonmail.com/
    https://tutanota.com/
    https://countermail.com/
    https://mailfence.com/

(All, not co-incidentally, are run and hosted by non-US companies, protected by EU law).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  10. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Office 365 all day, every day.

Why do you want to use POP3?

2SHY, NSanity and dave_dave_dave like this.
  11. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

12. Draxx

Draxx Member

dave_dave_dave likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

i'm back!

ok, so pop3 was just a term i used loosely. by pop3 -for me- i simply mean that it's not web based or suchlike. to me it means it's like traditional email whereby you log in and the email is downloaded to your local client - even if there is an option to also keep copies of emails on the server.

many years ago i finally found my final email client. it's thunderbird portable. that way i can easily back up all emails just like normal data files - which i do from time to time and spread across different backups. (so the backup issue is a non issue)

back to the situation. just yesterday i decided what to do, so i "solved" the situation. to keep things as they are and have been for years, i decided to simply renew my hosting. by hosting i mean actual website hosting. it includes email "hosting" so i have that, and if i want i can make/host websites etc. this is better though, because this way there is no "per email" hosting b/s. with this hosting plan i have unlimited mailboxes and domains - as it should be. i still can not believe that "actual" email hosting plans are per mailbox. i am not even a business and have a few domains and currently "just" 19 email addresses spread over those domains. of course they are just for "fun" or to be able to have very specific emails (ie: steam@, or paypal@, etc..). but if i had to "host" them all via what seems to be the "norm", each address would be $5/mo. so like $95/mo for my current 19. that's absolutely insane. and me having several emails is normal. once you get a domain i's fun and easy and even very smart to split email addresses for different things. like i exemplified above.

tldr; i now paid a very reasonable 160usd for five years of hosting (not email , but webiste/email/etc, so much more powerful than just email) so i'm good again until 2023. i have to do absolutely nothing now for another 5 years. to me that's peace of mind. remember that signing up to an average "just email" hosting for only one email (which no i could not even live with anymore) would be around $300 - for five years. i got actual website hosting (which i already have, so i just renewed it) for less than that. that's what i mean folks. the email hosting market is a racket. that's why i started this thread. my head was spinning and i could not believe it. just imagine a simple business with one domain and say the typical 5 emails like; support/webmaster/sales/marketing/contact@. they would need five separate "seats" for 25/mo. nah, the email hosting market is a scam and a racket and just insane. and i am aware that you could have some of the emails "arrive" to a single one that you woud pay for, just that one, but that technically already is a backward step for you.

the thread has some links/tips i'll keep in mind long term, etc, but for now for just 160 yanke doodles, i "solved" my situation until 2023. even the most basic singular email option would be more that that. and that's crazy. i'll be available for further questions until midnight. ;-)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  14. akashra

akashra Member

So let's say I have a .id.au domain and I'm happy to use gmail for mail - literally all I want is an MX record and to forward SMTP to gmail - can gsuite do that for me?

15. kogi

kogi Member

Yes?

So do you want email sent to me@have.id.au or me@gmail.com ????

You have to use your own dns service ( from your domain name provider or cloudflare )

16. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

You'll need SPF, DKIM and DMARC records as well.

17. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm actually kind of in a similar boat. I currently have a domain via GoDaddy, and hosting via a free hosting provider.
    I do not have an MX provider, therefore I am in search of a free one. Is there a way of getting emails that are sent to theantipop@myowndomain.com.au to theantipop@gmail.com, even if I do not have an MX server active? I have tried Zoho mail, but that only works for one email address, and it has to be used through their webmail platform, which isn't the end of the world, but a if there's a better option out there, I'll take it.

18. grs1961

grs1961 Member

19. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I've sold my soul to google and use gmail to collect all my email from various domains either via forwarding on the domain side or by POP3 managed by gmail. It works for me and my few alias around the place.

I've used bluehost, Crucial and TMD Hosting all with decent results. Pricing varying between about $5 - $20 / month for unlimited sub domains and email accounts. Some in Australia, some not. I have had users with a mix of Outlook via IMAP and POP without issues on either side, although I have never had to worry about storage or backup of stuff.

As the OP has found, if you have more than one or two email addresses to look after a cheap hosting account is usually the cheaper option.

20. kogi

kogi Member

I know ventraip has dns hosting and email forwarding included in their price when you get a domain name through them. Guess other decent dns providers would do the same