email hosting

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by BobJustBob, Aug 8, 2018.

1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

what are some of the "favorite" email hosting services going around these days? (self hosting is out of the question.)

i don't want or need anything above being able to use my own domain. i just want to be able to use thunderbird (or any pop3 email software) and pull down emails sent to that domain.

ie: already have my own domain
    want to be able to send receive emails using that domain.

currently i have a hosting plan that handles it, but it ends later this year and i will not be renewing there. godaddy. need i say more?

however, from what i have already seen via searching, prices for email hosting/services seem insane, relatively speaking. they start at around $5/mo but for that you can get actual hosting. even godaddy has that price for hosting, so if that's the best, just so i can send/receive emails via my own domain, i might as well renew the hosting at that price and if i want to could make websites too.

maybe i'm not understanding something and someone here can set me straight.

2. broccoli

broccoli Member

Yes. There's a minimum service and when I looked into it there was no 'el cheapo' email only that looked any good. You don't want to go with something that could disappear overnight, getting a minimum hosting seemed the way to go, for me.

3. Wako

Wako Member

4. mtw

mtw Member

Few that I've seen talked about positively, in no particular order:
    • Fastmail
    • Mailbox.org
    • Zoho Mail
    • ProtonMail
    I saw a good write-up early this year from someone moving away from the GSuite and what they are looking at in a new provider, might be helpful.

5. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I’m currently using Zoho Mail, no major complaints with it. Not as simple and straightforward as Google Apps, but they do seem to be actively developing the platform.

6. OP
    OP
    BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

i'm investigating the situation and will report back soon...