Email your Attorney General with one click (almost)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Pinkeh, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

A friend posted this bit of information from Gamers4Croydon on IRC this morning regarding the Discussion Paper on the R18+ classification for videogames.

At least that's what i think they are discussing. Either way go read gamers, maybe you can do something about our lack of R18+.

But if you are going to send the Minister something for god's sake make it a proper polite letter not just a simple "big f!@#K you" in the email. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  2. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Im sceptical of pro forma letters provided in campaigns such as this. I often criticise the banking letters provided by Choice, because i know what relevant bank managers do with them. But if someone sits down and writes a letter, explaining their history with the bank and why they have a grievance then they actually capture a bit of attention.

If it's a serious enough issue for someone, it shouldnt be too much to sit down with a cuppa and express your views on the matter. I can almost guarantee they're afforded more attention than a pro forma.

Meh, just my 2c.

3. OP
    OP
    Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Well i just finished writing mine, but i made amendments to the template. Probably slow-mail and post it this afternoon.

4. Webby

Webby Member

In the process of writing my own letter to Mr. Hulls and will slow post it.

5. leebaldock

leebaldock Member

Done. Hope it makes a difference. :thumbup:

6. Wolf

Wolf Lex generalis

Hulls is already on board as are the rest of the State AGs except Atkinson AFAIK. They're already tried lobbying but he's being a religious prima donna about it. Boy would I like to serve him one at the next SCAG meeting.

7. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Its probably worth pressuring Atkinson's peers to place a bit more pressure on him, certainly whilst the ALP stronghold remains in state govts. Dont expect Atkinson and his cohorts to go anywhere in SA's election next year :p

8. TheSly

TheSly Member

Just wrote this and sent it. Feel free to use anything from it.

9. Webby

Webby Member

Yah, doesn't mean more support / letters to keep pushing are a bad thing. :thumbup:

10. oli

oli Member

In other news Atkinson has installed a new post box in his office marked "Letters relating to lack or R18+ classification to video games". Custom cabinet makers were consulted to build a post box which has a sound insulated box on the inside with room for a high performance document shredder. The shredded documents are conveniently fed into biodegradable bags which are used to help improve Atkinson's lavish tax payer funded gardens at his private residence.

11. TheSly

TheSly Member

If you think single voice cannot make a difference, you have never been bothered by a mosquito.

12. andydev

andydev Member

I sent it and got this:

So I responded with my address... so don't forget to include it in your email.

13. Tex Zero

Tex Zero Member

Just sent mine...

14. Tex Zero

Tex Zero Member

They need your address so they can make sure they're adding the right person the ASIO database.

/dons tinfoil hat and tries to spot the tail on the way home ;)

15. andydev

andydev Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i'm gonna use some of yours and post it and atm it's nearly a page long :p

EDIT: I pretty much go all out here cos i'm that pissed! LOL

Dear ….,

I am writing you today to express my disgust and concern about the lack of an R18+ classification for video and computer games in Australia. As you are well aware of the situation films and television programs are allowed classifications up to R18+ by the OFLC while such rating does not exist for video and computer games. The lack of an R18+ rating, currently being hindered by your fellow Attorney General Mr. Atkinson of South Australia, is causing more problems than if the R18+ rating was put in place.

Many of Mr. Atkinson's views of video games are not only incorrect but also outdated. The average age of people who play video games has increased to the mid-twenties: a staple fact that Mr. Atkinson continuously chooses to ignore. He also believes that if an R18+ was implemented that it would cause more problems than not having one as he believes will make children more violent: that's also incorrect – can you or Mr. Atkinson name that study? Of course you cannot because such study does not exist and if one where to exist everyone would know it by name. I also think that if a person cannot distinguish between real-life and a video game then it is not the game's or the game developer's fault but the person's own fault.

I am in my mid-20s and I enjoy playing video games. I see video games as a form of escapism and as an outlet to do things that aren't socially acceptable so there would be no need to do so in real-life. I have played through many games and none of them have made me want to do things like kill or sexually assault people: such correlations are just not logical.

Second of all, by not having an R18+ it flies right in the face of the OFLC's mission which is to allow adults to watch and read whatever they like without any issues. Not only does that make the current system inconsistent but also hypocritical as adults are being treated like children when it comes to video games. This system is like telling an adult that they cannot eat steak because a kid cannot chew it: it's ridiculous and outright shameful of not only the OFLC's system but also of Atkinson himself as it restricts a developer's creative rights.

There have been many recent releases of games that have been in the spotlight in recent weeks but mostly I refer to the banning of Left 4 Dead 2 which was banned for its high-impact violence. I believe that the rating is inconsistent because the Left 4 Dead which has the same level of violence was passed through and rated as MA15+ just only last year. There have also been cases where similar genre films have also gone through and received MA15+ or R18+ - so why should games be any different. The subsequent release of the watered down version of Left 4 Dead 2 does not appeal to many Australian gamers and insults my intelligent.

I would like to point out that the adult gamer population, of which 91% are around 30yrs of age (Source - Case Study: Australia's Computer Games Audience and Restrictive Ratings System. Brand, Borchard & Holmes.), are being restricted in what choice they have. This kind of censorship is archaic, and unnecessary. As an adult I'm being restricted to seeing a limiting view of a product on one hand. Australia, as a nation, is falling behind other developed nations in regards to this area of classification and, as a nation, we must catch up or we will continue to fall behind.

Clearly it's a system that is in need of revision, and that's why myself, and many other supporters in the gaming community (an industry that generates more income then the movie industry at present), are asking for the discussion paper to be put back on the agenda.

I look forward to your response to this matter.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  17. plasmoske

plasmoske Member

haha yeah i sent them a few abusive emails some time back :wired::wired::tongue:
    they replied back that they needed a postal address of mine so they can reply back to me

i replied back- what a waste of paper. should just reply back to me via email
    and never heard from them again

and yeah i think its to add me into the asio list LOL:p:p

18. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I hope you actually had someone else read this before sending it off.

19. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

meh! i am an angry gamer!

20. Akimbo

Akimbo Member

ditto on asio database.

basically, they collect ID so they know what your vulnerability's are.

You should always state you are a Draconis Reptillian King.