Embedding an SSID in a web page

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Cadbury, May 12, 2014.

1. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Is it possible to code HTML or is there a well known applet which allows a user to click on it and be connected to a specific wireless SSID using an embedded key?

2. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

More context is needed for a better answer, but not that I know of. Depending what you want to do you could maybe use WPS pin's to do it

3. heydonms

heydonms Member

No, a browser won't allow a website to alter the machine's network configuration and with very good reason. It would be a massive security hole.

I suppose you might make something using java or a program that the user could download, but it seems like it would be much easier to just provide clear, step by step instructions.

What problem are you trying to solve?

4. OP
    OP
    Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to send users instructions for how to connect to an SSID whose WPA2 key changes frequently. I was hoping to make it as simple as 'click here', but a set of clear instructions looks like the way to go.

5. SaTaN

SaTaN Member

Why does your key change frequently?
    Who are your AP users?

6. cyclonite

cyclonite Member

I know for Android users you can give them a QR code with the SSID and password to auto-connect. Not sure about desktop OSes.

7. Foliage

Foliage Member

These are good questions, what is the purpose of changing it regularly? There may be a better solution in which case it makes your original question redundant.

8. Munity

Munity Member

you could have them download a executable (or installer) that automatically installs the config to the correct area (or run a batch file that does it)

9. cvidler

cvidler Member

Move away from WPA2 PSK to WPA2 Enterprise.

No shared keys, authentication is done by PKI.