Enable DMA? DVD vanishes

Discussion in 'Other CPUs and chipsets' started by holodeck3, Aug 10, 2001.

1. holodeck3

holodeck3 Member

Hi folks, got a good one for you here.

Its an A7V133-C (non raid a7v133). The onboard ide channels are for cdroms, theres a promise fasttrak 66 powering the hdd's. If the DMA checkbox on the DVD rom is checked (hitachi GD7000) it vanishes from my computer (even though its still shown in device manager). If I enable DMA on the philips PCA403CD 40x cd it'll behave and not go hiding, but the check box will be cleared when the machine reboots, even though the bios says its operating in udma mode 2, as is the DVD drive. The setup is Pri. Master: Ricoh MP7083A CD-RW, Sec Master: Philips PCA403CD, Sec Slave: Hitachi DVD GD7000.

Also, after adding the promise fasttrak 66 in, I have noticed that the cpu runs a little warmer - I gather this is normal? Its a raid 0 stripe set with 2 WD 200BB caviars hanging off it.

Cheers and thanks for any help.

2. GRBaker

GRBaker Member

My kids Atrend Celeron 466 has a Sony DVD. If I turn on DMA (C-panel, systen, hard drives, properties) then their DVD videos stop owkring.

They work fine when it's offm but the CD is slower than you would want it to be for other things.

BIOS's and drivers have not helped.

3. OP
    OP
    holodeck3

holodeck3 Member

I managed to fix the problem - the sb16 emulation of my soundblaster live was sucking up 2 dma channels - remove it and all my drives go dma. :)