1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Ender 3 worklog

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Revenger, Aug 18, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have worked out a solution for the broken prints for legs by bracing with a metal strip on each side and bolts as well as glue to keep it together.
    I bought some stuff yesturday and about to get started on it in the next week.

I also looked at project managers and decided to kinda settle on Taiga its not as simple as Kanban only boards, but not as complex as a full project tracker.
    Its just enough to have seperate task listings, priorities etc as well as Kanban for moving parts between stages without being overly complex which is exactly what I need.

My first project in there is my 3d Printer one and My arcade will be the next one.
    Once I get around to redoing my server I will be putting it online so people can see progress of my projects but thats a month or so away, its currently running under a Proxmox test environment on my spare pc untill I redo my server with Proxmox for services.

Here is the task list in Taiga what I am doing now on sorting out the broken leg parts.

taiga printer.PNG

2. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

looks like you are doing qutie a few upgardes on the ender!
    one thing to look out for on the enders is the mcu fan is linked to the part cooling fan, so if you have that low or off then the mcu gets no cooling = overheating. solution is to put the mcu fan straight to 24v so it is on all the time.

i have mine in the garage so i ended up installing a cheap 3.5" lcd touchscreen on the rpi running octodash. much more convienent than the stock screen.

if you want to print parts in abs, maybe try esun abs+. more forgiving than regular abs. but in saying that, enclosing the printer and moving the electronics outside was enough for me to print abs, no heated chamber - temps were around the 45deg and got no warping with just a brim.

3. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Already done a few upgrades and more to come, ill flesh out my ideas in the board as I go as I only oput a couple things in for now and not everything yet as that will take time.

4. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Ive been doing the start of the frame fixing up / rebuild last few weeks and still working on the metal bracing for the 3d printed parts.
    Nothing to show yet but will do in a few weeks time.

5. Pbx_Jnr

Pbx_Jnr Member

Very interesting worklog, thanks for posting Revenger! I now have too joined the Ender 3 brigade with my Ender 3 Pro arriving yesterday, as well as my 3Dfillies order :D

I'm just starting out with PLA+ for the time being and I got Octoprint up and running on my spare RPi3 with the camera module too. The bed levelling sure is a real pitfall for newbies like myself lol

I test printed the dog file that was on the sd card no problem after getting the levelling right, but then was having trouble with a couple of spaghetti prints when trying to send files from Slic3r to Octo. I realised later on that it was because the default temps set in Slic3r were pretty low and the filament just wasn't melting enough. I think I've got that sorted now as I'm halfway through another test print and it's looking good!

I'm going to work my way through your suggested mods there, but I don't think I'll give ABS a go for a while yet.

6. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

All good.

My printer has been sitting unused in the corner of the room for a while, while I try to work on the enclosure.

Projects here just are going super slow due to energy levels and the summer etc.

7. ominae

ominae Member

In case this helps anyone:

I fixed my zbanding quality with this - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2959991

Allows you to position the z motor in the optimal position.

You will need to mod it slightly for Ender Pro's - one of the extrusions clashes with a frame bolt head.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  8. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Slowly doing the enclosure has been on hold last couple weeks but will continue soonish.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  9. Defyant

Defyant Member

10. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

talking about enclosures, i have seen many have use coroplast, cardboard or even the foam play mats that interlock into each other for a makeshift enclosure.:lol:

Defyant likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Similar to what I am doing though all my leg entenders with the screw holes on the side all snapped clean for me so I am putting metal bars for bracing on.
    Taking a while and its slow working on the modifications, but it'll get done.

You can follow the project progress on my project tracker.
    Feel free to suggest stuff for it and what I may be missing.
    I don't have much past the enclosure yet on it as I'll work that out once I get there.

12. Defyant

Defyant Member

Cheers :) i think by the time i print 5 more of these units i'll be well and truly over ever wanting to see these prints again :D

13. ominae

ominae Member

I used a jumbo kennards storage box over the ender 3 to print voron parts. What a journey it’s been

Defyant likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Needed to scroll back through my posts to get to this one.

I started putting the tables together with bracing gluing the legs to parts with alraldite and will need to drill a second set of holes through the braces as only one set is done.
    But starting to come along.
    This is one table the bottom one out of the three.
    Top table just has one leg to fix.

MVIMG_20210701_162525-01.jpeg

15. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

I have pulled my printer out again after a year or more.

The enclosure I need to rethink and reprint parts.
    But in the meantime I have the Creality enclosure.

I replaced the hot end block, heater and thermister as wires melted and were damaged.

I put in the touchscreen I had during around the last year.

Weird up a RGB led strip to the top of the gantry it fits in the vslot nicely shining down in the bed.
    Tried three neopixle header but no luck so using a stand alone RGB controller for it.

Weird up a separate psu for the lighting and Octoprint for now until I feel comfortable using the buck converter.

Getting a magnetic PEI plate to print on a cable to hack for the pi as these don't like 5V through the pi usb connection and I don't have any spare mini cables.

Overall things are running fine and I'll await the surface before printing anything.

Have something cool I'll be printing a prototype of a month or so once I get everything sorted fully.

First I'll print a camera mount for the Creality tent.

MVIMG_20220419_112009-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_2022-04-19-11-22-25-402_fr.yochi76.printoid.phones.premium.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-04-19-11-18-24-404_fr.yochi76.printoid.phones.premium.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Pbx_Jnr likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Added the STC-1000 to my printer today.
    Made a custom three way power cable adaptor for it.
    The headshrinked end will eventually be for the Pi with a buck converter.

With the ST-1000 I can add a heater element to the tent any ideas what to do there?

MVIMG_20220420_181514-01.jpeg
    MVIMG_20220420_184355-01.jpeg

17. OP
    OP
    Revenger

Revenger Member

Next upgrades will be the Pei Bed sheet, dual Z axis, heated element to the PTC-1000 (working on currently)

With the STC-1000 and a PTC 200w element do I want the fan on only when the element is on or all the time?
    Also thinking of what design to go with, I think having the fan behined the element to push air through that rather than pull from the other side.
    Will need to make a mount / stand for the fan and element.