Ender 5 first impressions

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by tumutbound, Feb 22, 2019.

1. tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I picked up my Ender 5 today. I had to have it delivered to a friend in Hobart as I live 60kms south and I would have had to pay an extra $US60 for delivery to my door.

Assembly couldn't be easier, 12 - M5 x 25 screw hold it together. It took me about 2 mugs of coffe or 30 minutes to get it all done. All drilled/tapped holes line up perfectly and holes are clean and free of burrs. Wiring was another 5 minutes, all cables clearly labelled (in English).
    Quiet when powered on, haven't printed anything yet, still need to level the bed and find a micro SD card - or connect up a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint.
    I'll post a print when done.

ender5-1.jpg ender5-2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    thedealer and firey4059 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Got Octprint running on a Raspberry Pi B+ and performed the first print - disaster! A tangled mess of plastic.
    Double checked all the settings in Cura, all looked OK, Second print, same thing. Bottom layer was fine but then just a tangle of plastic.
    Ater a brief caffeine break, checked again and found I had the layer size set to 2mm instead of 0.2.
    Printed again and this time, it came out very nicely. Trying a benchy now.

I'm having trouble getting a good photo with my phone (Huawei LDN-LX2) so I'll drag out the DSLR and try that.

3. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Having the bed supported on one side of that always made me nervous; is there much flex in the Z axis?

4. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

It seems faily solid, doesn't move during printing.
    I'm still trying to dial in the printer to get good surface finish. A couple of benchys I've printed look good as far as bridging, accuracy goes but the surface quality leaves something to be desired.
    I did print a heat test tower thata had some serious overhangs and it handles thet very well.
    Currently playing with an MKS Gen L controller to replace the stock unit, mainly so I can add a touch screen. The large processor memory on the MKS will also allow me to add the various Marlin features I want.
    I also have a bl-touch to add but want to get to a point where I'm ahppy with the print quality before I do that (although adding auto levelling may well help the quality)

5. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

After quite a few prints with no so good surface finish, I found the culprit! The crappy bowden tube fittings allow the tube to move a few millimetres not matter how tight I tried to make them A supplied spare connector was no better.
    A few drops of super glue did the trick.
    I've since ordered some much better fittings and a length of PTFE tube.
    Even with the very old filament I have, quality is excellent and the few calibration cubes I've printed have been within 0.08mm in dimension.
    I'm going to order some new filament (eSun PLA+) and see what difference it makes.
    Still not sure if I like the flexible, magnetic bed. I have a piece of 4mm glass from and older printer so might give that a try tomorrow. As the aluminium bed is not level, I expect some improvement.
    I'm still to mount the BL-Touch for mesh bed levelling. I did print one for the Ender 3 but found due to the difference in how the X belts are mounted, it doesn't fit.

6. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

Well bed is definitely not flat! I can print in the centre or at the edges but not both - at least not reliably.
    Found a piece of 4mm glass from my old printer (Ord Hadron) and trying a few prints now. So far, pretty good.
    It does take a bit longer to cool down and release the print so I'll see if I can get a piece of 3mm glass tomorrow.