1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ender 5 first impressions

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by tumutbound, Feb 22, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

TMC2208 drivers arrived today. The ones I got are from BigTreeTech and require the header pins to be soldered, plus there's a jumper to add to set the required programming mode. All this is clearly documented in Chinese! I hope Google Translate is up to the task :)
    They'll get installed on the MKS Gen L controller and they'll be wired for software control via UART. Teaching Tech have a video on doing all this so I'll have someone to blame when it goes wrong...

Attached Files:

• tmc1.jpg
      tmc1.jpg
      File size:
      124.9 KB
      Views:
  2. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

What do you intend to use it for? A particular job.?
    Hope all this time and extra $$$ is worth it.
    I would have shipped it back, if it doesn't work satisfactory, out of the box.

3. echineon

echineon Member

Not OP but these upgrades are just upgrades for better print quality or more user friendly. I think the printer itself is working fine. Any printer with this much print volume at this price point currently is already good enough right out of the box but it's like the new JDM trend, every printer has to have MKS L board and/or klipper/octoprint. Like back in the day your nissan has to have a little neon underglow or some dorifto thingy hanging about the butt :D

/edit: I don't mean to not appreciate what OP was doing, just taking a self deprecating stab at myself more like.

DSTM (Dougie) and tumutbound like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I agree, nothing wrong with a bit of bling. The Ender 5 prints just fine out of the box but these upgrades are fairly cheap, improve print quality and give me something to do. Updating to a new version of Octoprint at the moment.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

6. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

All i can see it is says "Dual y-axis syncrhronisation" which translates to one motor running a belt to the other side to drive the other wheels.

7. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

My misreadng then.
    The Ender 5 is listed as being 'Equipped with dual Y-axis motors' which it doesn't have.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  8. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Yeah I saw that at the top. I think they may be referring to the fact the Y motor is dual ended. I only has a "man" look the first time.

9. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

TIme for an upgrade! I still have to install the MKS Gen L but waiting on a 24V supply so I can test/set up before installation.I find it a lot lot easier to do this on the bench rather than in an upturned printer. I also need to get this done as the stock LCD has died. I'd like to get an MKR Mini ER Teaching Tech did a review of this board. They seem to be out of stock at the momenr (Lack of TMC2209 drivers)

As I'm about to order some more eSun filament, thought I might get a Swiss, all metal hot end as I've heard good things about it.

Currently I can print PETG but it's at a temperature limit of the PTFE hotened liner.

Has any else installed one of these hot-ends on an Ender 5 (or Ender 3)?

10. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I have done an SKR 1.3 on my ender 3, right before 2209s came out :( . As well as an E3D v6 (Clone) All metal Hot end, Not swiss though. E3D seems to be the more popular option so hence choosing that one.

I think my Ender 3 is about as pimp as you can get one now :), not that it really makes prints much better but the process was fun and that was really why I did it.

11. larszoe

larszoe Member

Where did you get your clone hotend from? Trianglelabs? How does it hold up?

12. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

I do have an E3D (genuine) I bought for my last printer (Ord Hadron) but never used. Fitting it to the Ender 5 requires a new mount hence the Micro Swiss option. I do want to try out the E3D with a Bulldog extruder I have but the combinations needs some modified mounting hardware.

13. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Yeah, went the full dual direct drive + Hot end + Pancake stepper. Seems to work well but I have yet to print anything at over 250c (Mostly print ABS at 250). I get very little blobbing now that retracts are 1.5-2mm (1.5 ABS, 2 PLA) .

There are a load of mounts out there (Ender 5 has the standard CR10 Mount holes right?) . I did lose 14mm of X though.

If you have the hot end might as well save the money and use that one, I doubt it will cost for than a few cents to print a new bracket.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    tumutbound likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    tumutbound

tumutbound Member

You're probably right. For the price of a Swiss hot-end, I can get a E3D Titan extruder which will give me the direct drive I want. The Bulldog extruder I have was only a few $$ anyway and the Titan won't require that I dsign a mount for it, just use one that's already avaiable.
    EDIT: Titan extruder on the way!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  15. Intensify

Intensify Member

E3d Hermies is comming out soon looks like a more compact titan deppends if thats your thing though.
    I run a v6 clone with my own belt driven extruder and couldnt be happier.