Ensuring PC's are getting regularly shutdown

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Rea:Per, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

Hey all,

I'm looking for a way to ensure PC's get shutdown each night, but i don't want to force shutdowns on PC's that are in use or outside the network (remote staff)

I once had a solution for this that was quite good but due to updates and security enhancements its no longer possible to run.

A nightly scheduled task would run a .hta file from a network share, giving a full screen popup informing of the shutdown and providing 30 minutes for the user to cancel it otherwise shutdown the PC

Yes users could disable their NIC to bypass this but that would also close any network files that were also open and that's half the point anyway.

What's people's ideas for this?

2. Gunna

Gunna Member

Why do you need to shutdown? To reduce power consumption on site?

I never have users shutdown, have configured WoL and have automated patching in place(control group gets it 2 weeks before roll out to rest of office). No issues so far

3. g00nster

g00nster Member

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Exactly what I was going to ask.

If you just want to save power, configure your systems to sleep after a reasonable amount of time. We power manage all of our desktops (mixed Linux/Mac/Windows fleet) without any problems.

Eww. Don't do that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Rea:Per

Rea:Per Member

well i suppose it would be for a number of reasons.

Power Consumption
    Reboot for Updates
    Encourage people NOT to keep network documents & databases open overnight

it becomes a problem when people want to do work on databases especially out of normal hours but have to spend time working out who left theirs open.

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

Stop suppose'ing and find what the actual problems are that you are trying to solve.

Power consumption can be manged by group policy
    Reboot for updates can be enforced by group policy
    Encourage people can be enforced by business policy :).

If you're doing maintenance work out of hours, then your change process should include notification to the impacted people, as part of this notification, you could say "Please ensure you have shutdown at the end of the day"... That way, when you force close their database connection and network documents, they have had fair and ample warning.

A_C, Gonadman2, gabgab1982 and 5 others like this.
  7. Gunna

Gunna Member

Quoting again for relevance.

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Ummm get the DBadmins to cancel all jobs and turn off connection, oh drop LAN connections keep MANAGE network up. Problem is easily solved get smarter DBadmins

9. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Yeah this seems pretty ham-fisted, you gotta ask yourself "What is the problem I'm trying to solve". If you can't get a concise answer to that question then don't do anything.

10. Hater

Hater Member

it's like 3 lines in powershell

use CIMinstance to get the last boot up time
    if that is more than 24 hours ago, start the shutdown with a timer of 30 minutes, display it... however you want

11. BAK

BAK Member

Flick the breakers at the end of the day.

12. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We have a scheduled task applied by group policy set for 1am, restart if idle for 1hr, wait for idle 30mins, stop if idle state ceases, restart when idle state resumes.

Was put in place to help with patching compliance, we had machines that were going months without being restarted. We also had the same complaints about 'what if users have open work'. The answer was simple though, that user is stupid and needs to learn that leaving open work on a machine overnight is just begging to lose your work, don't leave it open. Everyone was informed of the policy and so it has been since.

edit: Ours is just for a pc restart though, not shutdown.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We had the same question here when I first started.

I sent out a blanket email stating that, for the hundreds of machines I manage

(a) I'm not stupid enough to shut them down in production hours
    (b) I will do my best to communicated planned outages
    (c) They're cattle, not pets, and I will likely need to reboot things out of hours, so save your fucking work

In 6 years I can count the complaints on one hand, and they're the type of people who will complain about everything anyway. If someone doesn't save and loses work overnight, generally speaking they'll cop a bollocking from their peers and manager for being idiots, rather than me getting the blame.

Even Jesus saves.

14. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I think the majority of our complaints were actually more to do with lazy users who didn't want to have to open their programs/tabs/whatever in the morning, because doing so is such a huuuuuuge inconvenience. Can't just say your complaint is because of laziness though so 'I might lose unsaved work' somehow became the less stupid/lazy catch-cry? :Paranoid:

15. miicah

miicah Member

Also isn't the point of databases that it doesn't matter who has them "open"? They aren't stored on the workstation...

Buy them SSDs :D

16. wazza

wazza Member

Just wait until the unsaved work complaint is no longer taken seriously, so they move on to claiming it's an OHS risk to be bending down/reaching under the table/reaching to wherever their PC is to power it on.

17. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Unless by 'databases' he actually means 'excel spreadsheets' :Paranoid:

Ok.

[​IMG]

First thing I did at all my sites was throw away all of the under desk mounted pc brackets, most of which had already slipped an let pcs sit on the floor, as well as move any pcs that were under desks up onto the desk. These days though the majority of my users are on docked laptops so that's not so much of an issue, other than stupidly a docked laptop takes up far more desk space then a desktop pc does.

18. Gunna

Gunna Member

Small form factor son, monitor sits in top or it sits between the bases of a dual monitor setup

19. dave_dave_dave

dave_dave_dave Member

I just have machines reboot when needed after updates, when wsus decides its not going to shit itself.

Although we do have a small number of "special" users who can't have their workstations rebooted without user co-ordination. :tired:

20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We use 12" dell latitudes. They're not exactly huge. The issue is the E series latitudes between xx40 and xx70 moved the docking port to the very back of the machine, so they take up even more space than a 14" model from the xx30 series and before. Not only this, but if you set them up between two monitors as you suggest, users tend to shuffle their monitors around, pushing the monitor base beneath the laptop, jacking the angle up on the dock. Seems inconsequential, except the docking ports on the xx40-xx70 series machines are quite fragile and you end up with machines that can't be docked any more. I had dozens of 7240s require mobo replacements under warranty due to this issue (not to mention now many required replacement after their batteries expanded like mad and damaged them). The 7250s have mostly outlasted their warranty periods, but are sadly now starting to suffer from the same issue. The 7270s have been about as fragile as they 7240s, as well as having 'sealed' batteries that users can't tell are expanding until they either damage the track pad, or bow the base out so badly they start rocking on the desk. The docking port issue is also exacerbated by the fact that they're so light that if a user opens the lid while docked they pick the whole machine up instead, flexing the docking port even more harshly.

Ignoring all of that though, a SFF desktop still takes up 1/3 the space of a docked laptop as described above. I'm even less of a fan of the new xx80 series with wb15 docks though so I guess you just can't win.