1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Entry home theater package for about $1400

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Moochin_Bastard, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

As the title says, I am replacing my now dead z5500's and looking at getting a decent'ish 5.1 system. I would rather a package set as I'm not too hardcore into sound stuff.
    There was http://www.jbhifi.com.au/home-theat...annel-networked-home-theatre-pack-sku-429584/ at JB that I was thinking of or another Pioneer one for about $100 less but cannot find it on their site any thoughts?

(waits for rage posts about crappy low end home theater systems lol)

2. Eimi

Eimi Member

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Where would one acquire such a system in brissy?

4. squareznboxez

squareznboxez Member

5. Planex

Planex Member

Im in the same boat here, ~$1500 budget.

I looked at a Yamaha system today which was awesome. Im seriously tempted to buy it, im just trying to see what other alternatives which are in the same ballpark.

The pack consisted of:

All Yamaha -

RX-V675 Receiver
    NS-555 Front Speakers
    NS-C444 Center Speaker
    NS-333 Rear Speakers
    YST-RSW300 Sub

I got the guy down to $1800. A bit over what I want to spend, but it blew the YHT-799 package out of the water.

Any other suggestions of something similarly priced?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. jack_son77

jack_son77 Member

If you can stretch the budget by a few hundred, and don't mind importing, you can get a really good mid level, rather than entry level system.

I started with a Sony Muteki system for ~1k after getting sucked into the online hype of dual subs and POWER. Almost immediately I regretted it, and 6 months later I ditched it and upgraded to a Denon 2313 + Kef 3005 5.1 speakers.

I imported the speakers from the UK from audio affair and saved HEAPS off local prices... (http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/kef-kht-3005-se-5-1-av-speaker-package/)

The price comes to ~$1300 landed (plus potentially GST on arrival if you get caught as its over 1k)

Pair that with a ~500ish reciever (whatever the current equivalent of the Denon 1713 bargain from last year) and for less than $2k you will have a system you can be proud of and keep for years, rather than something you'll buy from Harvey Norman that you'll want to upgrade in 6 months.

7. sml_nail

sml_nail Member

Exactly this. Will the system be used purely for home theatre or will you also be listening to music on it and if so what are your music tastes? What is the size of the room it is going into? Are there any other things to consider such as WAF requirements for small speakers etc?

Finally where are you located? Maybe people could suggest some local stores to check out.

Getting a setup which sounds good for the boom and bang of home theatre is easy but getting a quality system for music is a different story altogether.

Without knowing your full requirements I'd hazard a guess with your budget given and say consider a 2nd hand receiver (there are plenty of bargains out there without HDMI and you can just use the HDMI inputs on on your TV and output optical to the receiver for sound). That way it free's up the budget for better speakers such as a decent set of floorstanders or bookshelfs and a centre speaker to start and build a quality system from there.

If you have to have all of the speakers at once a pair of F5's a C5 and pair of M4's from Loudspeakerkit may fit the bill provided you are happy to DIY, leaving room for a sub later on.

Alternatively you could look at something from Adelaide Speakers or speak to Eastwood HiFi who may be able to help with a suitable system.

8. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

9. Zee

Zee Member

This.
    And this.

A good pair of speakers will last decades. A good 2nd hand pair of speakers is still a good pair of speakers, brands like Kef, Boston Acoustics, B&W, JBL... There are literally hundreds, all make good speakers. The LSK option is not a bad one either, from what I have heard (though I have never heard a pair in person).

As an example, a client of mine a few years ago let go a Boston acoustics VR-series set up for about $500. That's a VR12 centre, VR30 Lyndfield mains, a set of diffused VR rears (forgot the model name), and a VR2000 sub all for about $800. Those the early 2000's series, back when they were still made in the USA.

$800! That was about $4k-$5k+ of speaker in it's day, and it still sounds like a $5k set of speakers. I've seen similar with plenty of quality brand speakers.

Then find yourself a Marantz SR6004, which I'm sure can be had for about $300-$400 (I can't imagine I could get a cent more than that for the one I have for my bedroom system), and you have something truly good, properly good, within your budget.

Of course, good advice will usually be ignored, but anyway, it's always fun leading a horse to water, just to see if it will drink.

Z...

10. steffan72

steffan72 Member

Amen to that

11. Gonadman2

Gonadman2 Member

Have you thought about the Swans M60 5.1 set?

If you were using the Z5500 then you obviously don't need the source switching other BS that a receiver contains, and its just extra crap that you don't need to pay for. These sound very good, and will fill a small room nicely.

12. OP
    OP
    Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

Yeah its all only going to be playing through a media pc that sits behind the tv. Multiple inputs are not really required. Maybe a ps4 or something down the track but im sure pretty much anything could take a few inputs at least.

I've just moved house and the new lounge room is quite large and not contained, the lounge room and long hallway to the bedrooms all join to it so no way decent acoustics are gonna be possible either.

There is a pioneer set that have a vsx-528 amp with a 5.1 system, unsure of the speakers will look into it when I get a chance. Amp gets decent reviews for a low end one.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  13. OP
    OP
    Moochin_Bastard

Moochin_Bastard Member

My biggest issue with the higher end stuff is I'm very impatient and I hate waiting for stuff, so the idea is I just put it on finance so I can have it now. Rules out any of the high end shops or second hand stuff. Only really leaves trying to make a decent package at jb or something.

14. Zee

Zee Member

Honestly, at that price point, decent is not what you are getting.

I know you're impatient, but seriously, it's worth doing right. Even if you skip the centre and surrounds and spend the cash on a better set of mains.

A glass of Henschke is better than a cask of Yalumba.

Z...

15. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I agree with the quote. The biggest problem is knowing who is leading you to water and who is leading you down the garden path (even if their intentions are good). The internet is great, you can get in contact now with so many people who know what they are talking about! The internet is shit, now you can hear so many know-alls who don't know anything!

Having said that, i'd believe what Zee says.

I had a kind of similar problem as the OP. I got allot of advice. I triple checked everything i was told on other forums [steronet.net.au]. I wanted to believe what i was being told but didn't want to believe bullshit either.

I took a long term view. I wanted the job done right. In the end i put my budget into a great 2.0 setup rather than spread the same dollars over a 5.1 system.

Instantly hearing my new gear (second hand speakers, second hand pre-amp, second hand amp. I paid $3000 which included delivery of almost 150kg to rural south australia and ended up with almost $8,000 worth of gear if bought brand new) i was stunned. Stunned! Worth every dollar. So glad i listened to the advice here.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sorry for off topic

got that cd player yet ? then you will know .....

17. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

Especially if this system will also do music duties consider higher quality 2.1 system. IMO surround is nice but sound quality is much more important.

Also +1 to consider simple kits (LSK for example) as assembly is dead easy and you can save a lot of money. If you're not too fussed by the looks you can just leave them unfinished and save even more.

18. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

i brought my kids in from the stone age, and bought them their first gaming system … PS3. Went PS3 so it could double as a CD player.

Good luck with your LSK.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  19. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

Come on guys, ole mate wants to spend 1.5k, not 3k........and given he's moving from a $400 z550, it stands to reason that 1.5k package with a dedicated amp will be a strong upgrade.

20. bevanbraves

bevanbraves Member

I hear what your saying, but ...

When i was looking at options, it was explained to me that my current system was as good as anything i could find for $2,000. Even spending $1,800 just on a new amp wouldn't see any real improvement. Spending $1,500-2,000 seemed to be a step sideways - which i wasn't prepared to do.

I was left looking at 2 options;

1. Microlab solo6c. Cheaper option, have my laptop drive them.
    http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=279&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=72

2. Spending a bit more than i wanted, but getting allot more value for money. So i went second hand. Oh, i also went 2.0 instead of 5.1.

In that light, i have my old system for sale (picture below). 2nd hand Krix speakers (5 of), Bic sub, Onkyo amp. Total package $1,700. I don't have boxes so packaging would be a pain.

[​IMG]
    KSC_7168 by kcpics73, on Flickr