EoP/network issue

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by easterhat, Sep 29, 2015.

1. easterhat

easterhat Member

Having an issue with my network at home and I am stumped.

Setup is:

ADSL modem in room 1
    PC in room 2
    EoP connecting the two

It worked fine for a week or two and then stopped. The EoP adapters indicate a connection but the network on my PC bounced around between "network cable unplugged" and "identifying connection". It does pick up an IP from the DHCP server but it's not stable.

Here's where it gets weird. If I plug a different computer into the same EoP in room 2 (where my PC is), it works fine - this made me think it might be the hardware on my PC. However, plugging the PC directly into the router gives me a great connection.

I've tried resetting the EoP devices, reinstalling the network driver on the PC and switching things back and forth but it didn't seem to work.

The one thing that finally made it connect last night was when I plugged a switch into the EoP in room 2, and then plugged the PC into the switch. It's only connecting at 100 megabit, not gigabit, so there is still something wrong.

Very confused :confused::confused:!

2. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

I don't know why it doesn't work when plugged directly into the EoP adapter, but it's not gigabit because the EoP probably only has a 10/100 port.

3. callan

callan Member

I've seen exactly the same thing...

I have found that some network infrastructure ports (like switches/EOP devices - specifically Netgear stuff) have compatibility problems with the power management features in Windows 8+ (as opposed to Windows7).
    Interposing a cheap NON-NETGEAR switch between the EOP device and the PC may well resolve it. (changing the ethernet card in the PC won't!)
    (and yes, it's a Windows 8+ thing - in one case upgrading an existing PC from win7 to win8 triggered the problem.

Callan

4. OP
    OP
    easterhat

easterhat Member

Thanks for your replies guys - I had a bit more of a play last night and it may be something as simple as the ethernet port in the EoP device is slightly dodgy and needed a bit of a wiggle. I took out the switch and went directly back into the EoP (which is gigabit, should have mentioned in my first post) and same issues happened. After giving it a bit of a shove in and wriggling around it now seems to be working ok...

Strange how my other computer had no issues at all when plugged in without paying attention to how the plug was seated.

Fingers crossed.