EoP / Powerline gear questions

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Stooge007, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi all

i'm new to the whole EoP scene, so i may ask some dumb questions (so bear with me pls) :lol:

moved into a bigger house, and wifi doesn't seem to cut the mustard

house is sadly not wired up with Cat 5 either

so to get my TV/entertainment stuff connected to the net, thought i'd go down the EoP route

i ended up buying a D-Link DHP-1321 starter kit from MSY - http://www.msy.com.au/network-device/12675-d-link-dhp-1321-powerline-av-router-starter-kit.html ($49 + delivery seemed a good price???)

the package is basically a DHP-1320 Powerline Router + a DHP-306AV

got it all set up now (TP-Link wifi modem router -> network cable -> DHP-1320 (set in RT router mode) . . . . DHP-306AV behind the TV), working pretty sweet, but have a couple of questions:

1) the DHP-306AV doesn't seem to like being plugged in to my Belkin Pure AV Isolator (surge protector - this one: http://shop.jbhifi.co.nz/computers-...in-pureav-series-8-way-isolator-3m-cord/62061), it has various filters built in apparently.

plugged straight into any other power point, connection works fine

are surge protectors usually a problem?

2) the DHP-306AV only give me one network socket. to get more, i believe my options are:

(a) get a cheap switch (like this one - https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/netgea...7aoX1qpU4EzjJIItwOPkFNP3SG0-wuMDy4RoCk_vw_wcB)

or

(b) buy another DHP-1320 and run it in Access Point mode, which should link up with the existing DHP-1320 running in Router mode? this will then give me 3 network points, right?

any comments or suggestions to improve things appreciated (even the comments that D-Link are garbage, but for $50 it was worth a try!)

cheers

2. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

1. I think your test sufficiently proves the EOP is not compatible with the surge protector. I'm fairly sure most EOPs recommend plugging the EOP in as close to the socket as possible. Its also the reason why many EOPs are sold as a pass-through adapter (i'm surprised it took so long for this to happen!).

2. Your options look right. A cheap switch is a far cheaper solution but the DHP1320 is a nice all-in-one EOP+switch+wireless.

Alternatively, have you thought about plugging in like:
    (TP-Link wifi modem router -> network cable -> DHP-306AV -> DHP-1320 behind the TV)

3. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

That gear is AV200 standard pretty oldschool..
    the AV600 gear is way better.

You'll get 100-200Mb/s real world usage from it.

And yes, it is best if you plug directly into the wall and put whatever powerboards into the passthrough.

And yes you can put a switch on it to get more ports.

These are really good.
    http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/assets/image/0019/130348/NP507-3_HIRES.jpg

4. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

does it work both ways, does it?

i had thought about that, but wasn't sure it would work that way

might have to test that tonight

otherwise, i have an old modem/router that has 4 ports, i should be able to set that up to be a switch, shouldn't i?

i'm on naked ADSL 2+ only getting 8-10Mbps, so it's not the fastest connection in the world

i speedtested the connection behind the TV with my laptop and it got the same result as i got plugging straight into the modem, so it should suffice for my needs

another question, if i wanted to add more access points in the house, do i have to stick with D-Link or would say a Netcomm EoP adaptor talk to my D-Link gear?

thanks for the help guys :)

5. Annihilator69

Annihilator69 Member

6. Razor-47

Razor-47 Member

I'm wondering if the new AV1200 adapters which are not yet widely available in Aus will have be significantly better than the current 500mbps ones I'm using or if I've maxed out the speed the wiring in my house can handle.

I used to use TP-Link AV200 ones which I later upgraded to AV500s and they both gave me about 40-45mbps out of a possible 100 from my cable net. However a friend gave me a pair of Netcomm 500 ones which he was no longer using and I was surprised to find they gave me about 55mbps which is quite a bit more than the TP-Link ones.

I'm not holding out any hopes for a powerline adapter to ever give me my full internet speed but I'm still curious as to how far they can go.

Sorry for the thread hijack but to answer one of your questions: yes you could use an old modem/router as a switch but you'd only be getting an extra 3 ports (because the WAN port on a router becomes useless when it's set to a switch unless you flash DD-WRT on it) whereas you could get up to 7 ports using a dedicated switch. A switch is also roughly half the size of a typical router (the 10/100 I have is, the gigabyte switch is a tad larger) so there's also that.