1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

EOS 300D on a 10 inch telescope

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by tornado33, Aug 20, 2005.

1. tornado33

tornado33 Member

Howdy.
    Ive been using my 10 inch telescope (focal length 1400 mm) as a 1400mm lens by attaching my EOs 300D directly to the telescope and shooting through it. The skies arent very dark in suburban newcastle, so I tried using a nebula filter that blocks out much of the unwanted "light pollution" but allowing most of the light of specific colours that astronomical nebulae give off.
    heres a shot of the Eagle Nebula
    http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/baader/Eagle baadersmall.jpg
    Its 2 ISO 1600 shots each of 15 minutes duration then stacked together using Photoshop CS. The nebula filter makes a big difference. I then use Levels in Photoshop to make the sky nice and dark.

The Eta Carina Nebula http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/baader/Etacarina 2x15iso800baadersmall.jpg

The Lagoon Nebula http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/baader/Lagoon deep_filtered2.jpg

The Triffid Nebula http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/baader/triffid1hour_filteredsmall.jpg

The Helix nebula http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/baader/combohelix_filteredsmall.jpg

My telescope is nearly 20 years old. When I bought it I never dreampted there would be cameras I could attach to it that could get images like these, especially from the light polluted skies of Newcastle.

2. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Awesome, absolutely awesome :D

3. bubbablair

bubbablair Member

They are really good, thanks for sharing :)

Bubba

4. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Excellent stuff!

Thanks for posting.

bazz.

5. OP
    OP
    tornado33

tornado33 Member

thanks for the compliments, happy to share them :)

6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Um, probably a stupid question, but, doesn't the night sky move? How do you keep the telescope pointed at the right spot for 15mins? Just curious, because I have dreamt of being able to do that. :thumbup:

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

that is absolutely spectacular :D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

8. demon777

demon777 Member

holy

brilliant stuff!! :D :D

9. Tyrael

Tyrael Member

All the color is just the splatted bugs on the end of the Telescope :D

Great effort by the way, thanks for shareing. I presume you have one of those really cool telescopes that move with the sky? I'd love to be able to give this a go...

10. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

You can buy mounts that rotate, and adjust itself to the orbit/rotation of Earth. They're not cheap, but if you're into it, it's hardly a cost you can complain about when you get results like that. They have a name, I can't remember though.

May I ask, how did you mount it to the telescope? I've always wanted to try this, but never knew how to go about mounting it to a telescope.

11. OP
    OP
    tornado33

tornado33 Member

Howdy
    I should have posted a pic of my scope, here it is
    http://www.users.on.net/~josiah/focuser/IMG_9932.jpg
    The power lead goes to a small synchronous motor that drives a worm that drives the white worm wheel round once each 24 hours. To overcome small irregularities in the drive, I need to constantly "guide" the scope by looking thru a eyepiece with red illuminated crosshairs, keeping a star centred, if it drifts I press either a slow or fast button to adjust the speed of the drive, and keep doing this for the duration of the exposures. More fancier (and expensive) systems have autoguiders where a CCD chip does the guiding, sending commands to adjust the drive as required.

The camera goes on where the large black eyepiece is, I guide through the smaller second one above it. The unit can be rotated to find a suitable guide star. The accuracy to get good shots is around 1/1000th of a degree of rotation.

12. OP
    OP
    tornado33

tornado33 Member

I forgot to mention, I use a standard T adaptor ring (available from camera stores) for EOS cameras, and a adaptor that screws into that, and goes into the telescope focuser. It has a 2 inch diameter filter thread in it for the nebula filter.

13. stewpot

stewpot Member

Are these a crop, or is that the full image from the camera? Just trying to get a handle on the field of view occupied by these guys.

14. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

These are absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing!

15. OP
    OP
    tornado33

tornado33 Member

they are full screen pics, not cropped, just downsized for display. If I took a pic of the full moon it would just fit inside the pic. Field of view is roughly 1.5 degrees I think.

16. WRC

WRC Member

Bloody amazing bud!

17. Grotburger

Grotburger Member

Me wants one... :weirdo:

18. Tyrael

Tyrael Member

I think we all do, but then I'd have to add "astrology" to my long list of wanna-have expertees. There's just not enough hours in the day/night :(

19. banshee

banshee Member

Springwood, West of Hell (Sydney, actually)
    Ah, you do mean Astronomy don't you? I've never heard of nebulas affecting peoples lives... :p

Great shot! Now all I need are a DSLR & a 'scope and... :rolleyes:

20. avandonk

avandonk Member

Yes I agree all very good images especially since they are hand guided.How do you get away with 15min at ISO 1600 exposures without introducing noise?