1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Jackolow, Feb 23, 2012.

1. WRC

WRC Member

Sorry Zee. Was responding to Moda, but you posted in between us.

I agree on the focus points. I don't understand why Canon continues to clump all their focus points in the centre part of the viewfinder.

2. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

In terms of AF, yea. I shoot mainly socials, landscapes and life etc.... the better AF would certainly help in socials. And that I want it :p

I mean I budgeted for it being ~$3500.... just trying to minimize what I spend heh....

+1 on the af points tho..... seems like a better spread than the mk2, but still not the best?

3. vindicator

vindicator Member

I don't really post for everyone.

I'm not interested in arguing about products.

What an unfortunate way to spend ones free time.

4. Zee

Zee Member

No worries - thought it was a general "throw it out there" question.:thumbup:

Z...

5. Fishface

Fishface Member

It seems to me that Canon always puts on a premium price when they release a new body in order to milk the early adopters.

Then over a period of 12 months or so they bring it down to a more reasonable price.

So I suspect that the 5D3 will come down to a more respectable $2500 or so in the course of time and the 5D2 will at some stage disappear from the lineup.

6. Iceman

Iceman Member

I'm curious as to why? From random inspections digitalrev has hardly been competitive in the grey market for a number of years now.

7. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

If you say so, I trust you pixel peeping eyes more than most. Meh, I've always place more importance on the photographer than any perceived differences in hardware.

cheers
    Mike.

8. Gadget_

Gadget_ Member

Not very mature. Some people with a lot more knowledge than you in camera construction, design, engineering and R&D made the decisions and I'm sure there was a reason they did it. I'm not a fan boy, but don't you think the woud have AF points spread everywhere if it was possible? Especially on their flagship 1Dx? Maybe it's the AF/metering sensor size, maybe it's the fact that the middle of the lenses are brighter and sharper (therefore better for focusing)... Whatever it is, there is a reason and I'm 100% sure it's not because the 'person' is a retard.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. Psyentist

Psyentist Member

I'm not too bothered by the focus point spread.

They could be be handy. However that also depends on how accurate the outer points are. I find those on the 5DII are basically useless.

10. m3k

m3k Member

af will be much faster, which is awesome because 5d2 has sucky af

11. OnSet Images

OnSet Images Member

I'm sure there is good reason behind the AF point layout, and I figured the outer points probably aren't as effective as those in the centre but even the 7D has points that seem to reach out a little further. Would just be nice to have points over subjects places in the rule of thirds, ah well at least we have live view with the zoom function + manual focus that always does the trick.

12. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

rule of thirds is an interpretation of another photographic 'rule' so i don't think it would be wise to design cameras around it.

i imagine angle of incidence probably has a good deal to do with the af clustering.

things very close to the edge of the frame also probably aren't that big?? why focus on something that is gonna be quite a small portion of the whole image?

focus re-compose isn't great either :|

13. Athiril

Athiril Member

Why would you ever want to put something that isn't in the middle of the picture? :confused:

14. Zee

Zee Member

I was being facetious, but, still making a point. I suspect focus points that align to the rule of thirds would be greatly appreciated by a significant number of photographers.

Z...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  15. bugeyes

bugeyes Member

I've found the prices on their bodies to be very competitive, plus I trust their customer service, one camera I purchased from them had the shutter go a week before the warranty expired, not one bit of drama getting it repaired.

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=eos+5d+mark+ii+body&spos=3

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IN-STOCK...410?pt=AU_Digital_Cameras&hash=item45fa9834ca

http://www.d-d-photographics.com.au/products/Canon-5D-Mark-II-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body.html

16. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

I don't know a single person who doesn't agree either :lol:

17. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Thats not what I meant, i just mean say you had an AF point 2mm from the edge of the frame...

Of course you gotta have the right coverage, obviously with video now a lot more focusing work is done via cdaf and what not so I think that is where you will see the improvements in focusing closer to the edge.

18. destrkta

destrkta Member

Well looks like the 7d is sold, wonder now how long I'll have to go without a camera...

19. Gadget_

Gadget_ Member

7D has more spread because its a crop sensor, so the AF point could be on the edge of the 7D and in the same place on the 5D it would only be on the 1/3 line.

20. 2SHY

2SHY Member

DRTV preview of the Canon EOS 5d mark III. Full review soon.
    Kai likes the better ISO performance / AF points and better buttons.