1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Jackolow, Feb 23, 2012.

1. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

So I um...scratched up the focussing screen whilst trying to get some dust out (didn't have my blower on me). The sensor is perfectly clean but the focussing screen is scratched and is pissing me off when I look through the viewfinder. I can probably deal with it for a while but will need it replaced sooner rather than later. Is there anywhere that sells these? I remember the ones for the 5D2's we're ~$50?

Thanks all.

2. StuartL

StuartL Member

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the focusing screen on the 5D3 is not user replaceable, unlike the 5D1 and 2. Which is a little annoying; I rather like the screen I put in the 5D1 (Ee-S, if I remember rightly).

But there you have it. Probably a Canon repair job (or similar).

3. Craggles

Craggles Member

Lame man, you only just got it too

Just did a quick search, lots of threads confirming that you cant change them.

Will have to go to Canon me thinks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  4. HumbleBum

HumbleBum Member

I have never ever had to clean a focusing screen ever.. :Paranoid:

5. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Just because they're not user replaceable doesn't mean you can't change them:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/7den.htm (the 5D3 uses the same type of focusing screen as the 7D)

The issue is finding a replacement focus screen - you'd have to go to canon :(

6. Craggles

Craggles Member

I wouldnt be doing that with my 5dmkIII that is less than a month old.

He's really only just got it recently.

Just get Canon to fix it and take it as a learning experience.

7. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Agreed haha, I was just pointing out that it was an option :p

8. smorter

smorter Member

If you are paying for a sensor clean or calibration done, you can get the focus screen changed for no additional cost other than a $19 parts fee, though this was 2 years ago for a 1D3

9. a1ring23

a1ring23 Member

Thanks guys for the replies. Definitely a lesson learnt, no touching anything inside again :(

Looks to be a Canon repair job when I get some time.

For those guys that have had a similar service, what's the time frame generally? Ie from sending it back to the store to getting it back in your hands?

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  10. smorter

smorter Member

FWIW it takes about 2-3 weeks if I drop it off to Canon directly in Melbourne
    So adding postage from WA, and the delay between your store and Canon, gives you some estimate I guess

11. kryzak260

kryzak260 Member

12. terryand

terryand Member

I'm so impressed with this camera I just cancelled my order for the 1Dx. Just spent the weekend on the wall at the Winter Nats drag meet and it did everything I asked of it. Hardly used the 1D MkIII all weekend. Will put up some photos later.

13. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

How do you get them to $3500? Last time I went, the girls said they cannot do that price? Can I get a copy of the invoice?:p

14. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Autofocus.

I really can't stress this point enough - the AF on this camera is better than any other digital SLR I have ever used and is a hands-down reason to purchase this camera for me. It bests my 1 series bodies to the point where I'm thinking of selling them.

It's nice to have the extra stop of low light capabilities - images seem to process a little better with LR4, too.

Love the auto ISO capabilities, too, especially for low light shooting with rapidly changing conditions. I can see that putting this with the metering support on the 1DX would result in an absolutely killer combination.

Just in awe at the faster response and the autofocus. Well worth the outlay over the 5D II which has been plonked back in its box ready for its new owner.

15. smorter

smorter Member

Just picked up mine from Myer today! 2 week wait was worth the $3200 price tag!

16. Modafroman

Modafroman Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  17. nisstrust

nisstrust Member

What speed SD cards are people running in conjunction with CF cards to get good throughput shooting high fps stills?

18. schliebs87

schliebs87 Member

Does anyone else experience slow AF in low light conditions with this camera or is it just me??

I have been having a bit of trouble with the AF speed to lock in low light conditions such as wedding receptions.
    I've been mainly using the Tamron 24-70 VC and Canon 50/1.4 and have had troubles with both lenses fairly wide open.
    I'm usually towards the longer end of the 24-70 range.

My camera AF settings are generally Single-Point Spot (centre) and just Single-Point. I figure these would be quicker than zones, etc.
    Generally ISO for these events is around 6400 - 8000 as I prefer to keep my shutter-speed around 1/100. I value sharpness over low-noise.

I have tried experimenting turning the AF assist on my 430EXII on and off but quite similar results.

I feel that there is a serious amount of lag as it tries to lock on. Once locked on it is wicked sharp though.
    I know the Tamron isn't as quick as the Canons but in average to good lighting it is very quick. Just low light is giving me the problems and I find I am missing shots...

19. StuartL

StuartL Member

You may be wrong there - letting the camera use the focus points around where you're interested in might help it to focus a little faster and more accurately. I'd suggest giving it a try, and see what happens. (I'd check the manual, but it's in storage at the moment, unfortunately.)

20. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Single Shot allows for AF Assist, unsure of any other focus point modes that may disable it as well (quite annoying).