1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

EOS 5D Mark III 22MP full-frame DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Jackolow, Feb 23, 2012.

1. BalkanWarrior

BalkanWarrior Member

I find it odd that people think that money = quality. I've seen reports of iPhone batteries exploding too so I don't think it really matters whose sticker is on them it's all just random luck. Also even with a Canon branded battery I doubt that Canon would honour any warranty, usually companies say their batteries are never covered under warranty and I'm sure they'll go with something about how you left it in the sun or used it for more than 15 minute intervals which page 103 of the manual says to never do.

2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Were they terrible ones?

There is Yum Cha ones and then there is ones made by 3rd party non genuine manufacturers that is a little better than some random battery from eBay.

I personally buy the Phottix ones, they are pretty good.. no dramas with the build quality here. Just sometimes the newer Canon chargers say they are having an error when charging (its not, they charge them to full then just flash differently).

Usually when I see genuine ones come up second hand I pick them up if I need some extras. I have more now than when I shot Nikon mind you due to capacities.

3. Nafe

Nafe Member

I had a few different ones. When I found a good source on Ebay I stuck with them (the old BP-511 style batteries for my 10/20/30Ds) but then they disappeared and I had to try others. In the end I found the level of use I had meant the 3rd party and yumchas started degrading a lot faster than the genuine Canon ones.

These days with the batteries for the 1-series, they are so good that it's rare to ever need a spare battery pack.

4. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Yep.. I miss that. Could shoot whole weddings on single batteries in D3/D3s.

Ah well not the end of the world i guess :)

5. codegenic

codegenic Member

Did anybody else have their continuous file numbering reset to 0 after doing the firmware upgrade?

6. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

This.... and also the batteries that come with the 5D2/3 are so good you only need one extra one anyway. Just get a genuine Canon one.

I will admit that I use random cheapo batteries on my compact system cameras (when I actually own one from time to time), but then they whole camera system costs less than one of my main lenses so IDC......

7. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Ahh the non-genuine battery issue. Looks like they took the 6D codes and implemented it into the 5D MK III. Doesn't really bother me. I carry spares anyway. I'll just swap them out when they go flat. I use up my non-canon ones first, then if i need to fall back onto the canon batteries as my last, then I know how much batteries charge I have left.

8. Simboo

Simboo Member

Nope. Business as usual here.

9. Zardoz

Zardoz Member

Picked up a second 5D III. Thinking about selling my 1D III and/or 1Ds II. Has anybody else parted with older 1-series gear after making a move to a 5D III?

10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i sold my 1D2N to help fund my only 5D3

11. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

I went the other way. I had a was going to get a 5D3, but got a great deal on a 1DS III. Don't regret it one bit. But then I do have a 5D2 as well when I need to go more compact or need video.